1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drexler or Kobe?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Icehouse, Jul 26, 2006.

?

Who would you choose?

1. Drexler

256 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Kobe

271 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Actually, that would make Clyde the second most popular player that year.

2. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Clyde's defensive numbers are better that Kobe's because Kobe expends a lot more energy on the offensive end of the court.

Kobe can play lock-down defense, and often times guards the best 1-3 on the court.

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

wowzers

we could chew the fat to the bone on this one.

cross-era comparisons are never easy, and usually any case that could be made for one , could just as quickly and easily be refuted. We love to debate, and we can do it 'til we're all blue in the chops, but in most cases we'll just never know.

i voted Drexler, but mainly caus he's a former Rocket, and Kobe, well he isn't.

this seems to be as good a reason as any to me...

4. txdonk

txdonk Member

Kobe played with Shaq for 8 years, I believe, while both can be considered in their prime. Clyde played with Hakeem for 3.5, while he was past prime and Hakeem also after a couple of seasons. Don't discount that.

I agree the poll would look worse for Clyde in a "neutral forum", simply because most voters are more familiar with Kobe. Clyde retired after 98, darn, has it been 8 years already?

This poll should be revisisted after Kobe retires, especially if he never get another superstar teammate again. We'll see then how much he can accomplish, in TEAM SUCCESS, not the number of points or not so meaningful game winning shots.

5. txdonk

txdonk Member

Last sentence should've been: winning shots in not-so-meaningful games. Clutch shots in critical playoff games definitely count. :D

6. Nikos

Nikos Member

Personally I like to compare players by their two year primes (two best seasons).

I would say Kobe was superior overall. Drexler was more versatile and about even on defense (Kobe's best years he didn't play his best D).

But Kobe was better at creating his own shot and overall a more potent scorer. I don't think Drexler could score like Kobe did this past year even if he got the benefit of playing in this era, where wings get to the line more if they are good slashers.

It's reasonably close if you factor their careers. Drexler had more success as the leader of a team, but Kobe could easily be a leader of a great team if he had an excellent supporting cast.

7. Sun-Ming-Ming

Sun-Ming-Ming New Member

i have to say drexler, although i definitely have an objective point of view, clyde was definitely a better all around player than kobe. also his skills around the rim were infinitely better, yes i will concede that kobe had a better jumpshot, and is more clutch, but also i am also weighing character and in that regard clyde is a billion times better. kobe is a self centered jerk, who probably cant spell and wont say unless it is in the context of "kobe's team". also he might be a rapist. however there is definitely a generation gap between the two. defense has changed as has the quality of players i.e. clyde's era = better d and players

i rest my case

8. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

I believe MJ played a lot of interior teams with defender no better than Rose
    and he didn't score 80s.

9. jebustheomlet

jebustheomlet Member

ok first of all, i know im gonna get killed for saying this...

i don't believe that kobe is an *******...he may have made some bad decisions which, unfortunately, seem to cover up his many minor good deeds over the years...

and i dont believe in the bashing of Kobe because of his failure to bring a title to his team withought Shaq...who the hell can win with lamar odom and kwame brown as their big men...

I will admit, I never got the chance to see clyde play in his prime, so i might be way off..

plus, i was perplexed on how all of you can say "what just cus he's clutch means he's a great player blah blah blah" when many of the clyde supporters are using his attitude as a main selling point...attitude doesnt win ballgames, but clutch shooting can....

is Houston not called clutch city, or am i just off my rocker...

10. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

I love Clyde.. but I have to say Kobe is SICK. Only person that can stop Kobe is T-mac. :D but I have to say Kobe over Clyde. First post since I got back from Floridaaaa. :p :p