1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Commercial Appeal] Swift has yet to report, or return calls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by barbourdg, Jul 26, 2006.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Stro did himself dirty. The Grizz offered him $8MM/year long term in the summer of 2004 but he turned it down. Stro assumed he could get more as an unrestricted free agent a year later. When he played like such a softie during a contract year, it proved to me beyond a doubt he had almost no potential for improvement. This is why I ranted so hard against us signing him last summer. His motor has no 2nd gear, which is why he's no better now than his rookie season. His NBA career has been a flatline. No heart(beat).

2. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

I dont then our trade for Shane would look bad...

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

And for all effective purposes, he is finished in the NBA. The Rockets were his golden opportunity to disprove the "bust" label. What did he do? Wandered aroung the court like a lost child. His career is over. He cashed in for being an athletic freak, and that is the short of it. I am sure he will enjoy the money coming from his remaining contract. But after it is gone, I bet he doesn't get any more. I have "0" respect for Swift, he is a discredit to the league.

4. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

LOL! Stro has only a couple years left in the NBA? Are you joking?

People here exaggerate the faults of stro SOOO much. Ya so he didnt become an allstar in the jvg system playing < 20 minutes a game.

But over his career he has been a 10pt-5board-1 block guy in 20 MINUTES a game. That is ABOVE average NBA level. He is 26 years old. Nowhere near calling it quits.

5. Possum

Possum Member

The Griz waived guard Anthony Roberson and are apparently prepared to satisfy Fratello's desire to add a veteran point guard. Said West, who had referred to Roberson as the best shooter on the team: "We really appreciate Anthony's effort and professionalism this past year. He is a very talented guard with a bright future in professional basketball, and we wish him the very best."

If we trade head we maybe we should take a look at this guy.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You're absolutely right. I remember watching this guy at Florida. He can flat gun it. I think he's got potential as the spot up point guard with McGrady running the pick and roll at the top. He's also a decent defender. Would be a logical replacement for Luther if we traded him.

7. RodrickRhodes

RodrickRhodes Member

very interesting thought, because it's common knowledge in the nba world that we got thoroughly screwed in that trade

8. compucomp

compucomp Member

Um... I disagree with that statement, given the many columnists who have defended the trade and billed it as a positive step for the Rockets. If it were "common knowledge in the NBA world" that this trade were that bad all of the columnists would be bashing it like they bash Isiah. This isn't the case.

9. Dei

Dei Member

I hope this doesn't finally light up Stro's competitive fire.

10. RodrickRhodes

RodrickRhodes Member

Many?? Come on man...Ric Bucher doesn't count, because, in his eyes, the Houston Rockets can do no wrong. The Rockets could trade T-Mac for a used condom and Bucher would try and put a positive spin on it. So if you remove him from the equation, I don't see many others claiming that this was a "positive step." The few that are defending this trade are delusional. The Rockets got less athletic and older, because they supposedly wanna "win now," but only if its cheap.

11. compucomp

compucomp Member

Go make the rounds and read the articles, even the ones that defend the trade. There are plenty of them. You must have tunnel vision and only perceiving stuff you agree with, because you're just wrong when you say that everyone hates the trade. The source of the vast majority of the hate is from Rockets fans like you, who don't matter at all, not the media or anybody inside the NBA.

12. RodrickRhodes

RodrickRhodes Member

The trade sucks. It was a horrible move. It will come back to haunt this franchise. Hopefully it will expedite JVG's removal as coach along with the rest of his staff of ex-Knicks.

13. MandM's

MandM's Member

If I was Swift I would be a little pissed off too. He wanted more money from Memphis last year, then became a FA because he wasn't going to get it. Signed for less with Houston, then traded back to Grizzlies with a cheaper contract. That is pretty funny. Jerry West wins again.

Maybe he should have played harder for Jeff Van Gundy if he wanted to stay.

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Let's please stop with all of the "Stro took less money to play in Houston" talk. Swift turned down more money from Memphis prior to becoming a free agent and prior to Houston making him an offer. Swift turning down the Memphis offer had nothing whatsoever to do with Houston. He was upset at the Grizz and he simply overestimated his market value.

Once Swift became a FA, Memphis pulled their offer. Swift's main suitors were NJ and Houston who both could offer no more than the MLE. NJ preferred SAR and signed him instead (for the MLE). Swift then decided to sign for the MLE with Houston. SAR failed his physical with NJ and the Nets again had an interest in Swift (who still hadn't signed in Houston, just verbally committed) but he still signed with Houston.

Once he became a FA, who was offering him more than the MLE? The only team under the cap that I can remember having any interest in Swift was Atlanta, but they didn't really go after him that hard. They were too busy trying to overpay for Joe Johnson.

Unfortunately for Swift, he became a FA in a season where few teams were over the cap, so the market for his services got set at the MLE. If Swift is such a bargain at the MLE, then another team should be willing to give Memphis something good in return for Swift. Memphis obviously knows that he doesn't want to play there, so if Swift is that great an asset, then the Grizz should have a good deal for him really soon. On the other hand, if Memphis can't trade him or if they have to include an asset along with Swift or accept a bad contract in return, then that will pretty much tell us what his trade value really was.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Maybe he should try playing hard, whoever the coach is. Maybe he should take some time in the offseason and actually improve his skills. He never has and the Rockets figured that out. The fact he's locked into a guaranteed contract probably decreases his incentive.

I'm sure another team will give the Grizz something for Stro. If not, he'll show up and play eventually. The lack of communication is his way of telling the Grizz to pull out every stop and trade him if at all possible. He's trying to put a sense of urgency in the matter.

Stro's career isn't over. He'll play out the string.

16. Toast

Toast Member

Why is this such a big deal?

Last Battier article I read, he mentioned he hasn't had a chance to chat with JVG yet.

Oh no!

17. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Mysentiments exactly, he's a good guy.

18. RodrickRhodes

RodrickRhodes Member

I don't remember all the specifics, but Atlanta did show slight interest as you mentioned and Swift met with the Knicks as well. No telling how much the Knicks offered him since they were and still are over the cap and badly needed help at the PF position.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3255841.html

19. mike87321

mike87321 Member

Shouldn't this be posted in Dish?

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Quoted for truth. I don't know where people get this idea that Swift gave us a discount. And, what's more, the guy doesn't even earn his MLE contract. It's not often that posters feel sorry for a player that is a cap burden on the team.

He's not going to be better than he is right now. Do people wonder about the untapped potential of Marcus Fizer? What kind of player Quentin Richardson is going to turn out to be? These guys are known commodities now.