1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Keith Van Horn Be a Viable PF Option?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, Jul 27, 2006.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I was reading the morning basketball tabloids that have Keith Van Horn going here or there for as little as $2M per year. Now, I realize KVH will never be a JVG defensive stalwart, but he can shoot from anywhere on the court.

Although Mark Cuban has money to burn, he does appear to be budget conscious. I wonder if we can use our $4.2 trade exception to acquire KVH. What kind of money would he be worth (I see the trite "bag of popcorn" comments coming but I will risk the question anyway)? Would he be a fit on the Rockets? Afterall, he can't be any slower than Juwan Howard.

2. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

considering that he watched Tmac nail the game winner in Game 2 of the playoff series with Dallas two years ago, I would think he does more for the Rox playing on another team

3. seth66

seth66 Member

we've got novak and battier who both can shoot...why bother to get him?

hey i heard about howard+sura+novak for odom + 2008 2nd round pick, anyone knows if it is really undergoing negotiation or it's fake?

4. ryandoc

ryandoc Member

im pretty sure its fake b/c we cant trade novak...but im definately up for acquiring odom

5. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

6. thumbs

My own gut hunch tells me that will never happen. For one, I don't think the Rockets will toss in Steve Novak, especially for a 2008 second rounder.

Regarding KVH: to his credit he made some very timely shots for Dallas. Regarding T-Mac: to his credit he has made a number of great shots over a lot more players than KVH. ;)

7. Guru

Guru Member

How about Howard + 2nd rounder (which ever year we have available) for Hedo. :confused:

8. thumbs

Please think of this as a TE thread on the feasibility of acquiring KVH rather than a trade thread. Let's foc-ass! :)

9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Van Horn also had a very timely injury that caused the Mavs to win that series.

10. Sextuple Double

Is Jesus Christ our GM!!??

11. Willis25

12. thumbs

Either your comment is a non-sequitur or I'm too dense to understand. Probably the latter, but I'm still scratching my head.

13. Sextuple Double

He's the only one who could get us Odom.

14. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

EXACTLY what i was thinking. I've always felt that if KVH didn't go out with an injury, we would've won that dallas series two years ago.

15. Guru

Guru Member

Doesn't KVH have 2 bad ankles?? If so, i'm not sure how bad they are...besides Novak can probably do everything KVH can do at this point in his career. :cool:

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Considering the only reason that Dallas was able to beat us in the series 2 years ago was because KVH got hurt and Avery had to go small...then NO !!

DD

17. Willis25

great minds think alike. The rox were winning game three until KVH went down and HOward came into the game

18. TIburon

TIburon Member

I'd take him...

Lets be real, how many PFs do we have? Novak will not be ready for another year to even play the PF position physically or experience wise..

I'm thinking who do we have that can defend the Odom's, KG's, Duncan's or Nowitzski's?

Novack
    Bowen?
    Howard
    ????

They are either too old, not athletic enough or not ready...

I like JVH because he can give you those 6 fouls plus be a threat offensively from the perimeter...

Considering the options out there without the ridiculus "lets trade Head for some starting PF" comments... Lets get real and make our bench better. At this point the Rox will not find a starting PF....

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Short answer

No

Long answer

NOOOOOO

20. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

No kidding - I cheered whenver he came into the game. And when he got hurt, I was like NOOOOOOOOO!!! I mean, getting injured sucks, but aside from this once, I don't remember ever getting upset because somebody on ANOTHER team got hurt.