1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Talk About A Waste Of A Pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gucci888, Jul 26, 2006.

1. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I'd rather live in Spain than Orlando.

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

A $10.75M buyout on a deal that's only worth around $7M? Interesting.

3. TheBigSleep

TheBigSleep Member

The issue though is fundamental organization of ownership in the US. There is one owner and he can do what he wants-- even move the team.

If a lot of NBA or NFL or MLB teams were traded on an exchange, they would not move around and if you can buy a "piece of the pie" and even own the team.

Thats why european football has such rich tradition, you dont have teams moving around all the time because of autocratic ownership. And if you look at US sports, the most storied franchises are the ones that have never moved (Yankees, Packers, Steelers, Celtics)

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Send the rest of that small TE to them for his rights, and wait. Do it before San Antonio does.

:D

DD

5. Buck Turgidson

Dodgers, Lakers, etc...

6. Ryoga Hibiki

Ryoga Hibiki Member

those money are all after taxes, so you can pretty much double that number.
    And that's more than twice what he would have made in the NBA in the first 4 years.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

where did you hear this? fran's pretty much getting max money in EL. the lure of it for euros is that they get to stay home to make their millions.

8. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I was wondering about that myself.

Never heard of anything like that before.

9. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

It was said before he got drafted that he probably wouldn't come over to the U.S., the out is/was a basic slap in the face of the Orlando Magic. I feel bad for them... ok i'm lyin :D. But i'd be damned if a chick wit some good snappy, nappy convinces me to stay in europe when i could come to the states sign a short contract (2 years 1.25 mill a year with no state taxes in Fla.) and then i'd bounce to another team and try to make more. How long is Vasquez's contract for?

10. Swack

Swack Member

Hey guys, this is my first post. I tried to make a new thread but I'm not allowed to.. :( , so I figured I would just post in the most closely related topic. Hope I don't get in trouble ;)

Any of you heard of this kid? J-Mychal Reese? Supposedly he's the top ranked 5th grader (early I know). I just saw him on the frontpage of NBAESPN, googled him, he's from Bryan...which is 30 minutes or so from Houston :eek:

http://www.theeagle.com/sports/120304cessna.php

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

ummmm how is this even remotely related?

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This is sickening to me.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lol no kidding, the last time anyone posted in this thread was over 2 weeks ago and it hasn't absolutely nothing to do with a 5th grader...good stuff.

14. Swack

Swack Member

Haha, I couldn't find anything remotely related...so I figured, a thread on young potentials ehh close enough. It's late, I'm pulling an all nighter to study..

15. Swack

Swack Member

Oh, and he's a sixth grader now, the article I posted is a bit old.

Personally I think it's wrong to train and groom kids at such an early stage in their lives. I just found out they have adidas third grade camps??? It's ridiculous. I don't think it would be too bad if the kid was acting under his own whim, but it seems as if his father has his hand in it..

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Duh, this whole basketball camp at an early age stuff is sickening. It's been discussed here a couple of times before. They are like puppy mills where kids throw away good years of their life for complete dedication to basketball. When they get old enough and the scouts figure out they aren't good enough, they are dropped like hot potatos.

Going forward, please just put up with being a rookie and don't post off-topic in threads. That would be a big favor to everyone. Thanks.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why? He's making millions of dollars staying in his home town. Have you been to Barcelona? It beats the hell out of Orlando.

Put it this way - were the situation reversed and the bigger money was in Europe, would you be willing to run off to Europe for more money IF you could instead stay in your home town and still make millions, be near your friends and family, etc?

Incidentally, I'm moving to Barcelona on September 4th. I'll try to go catch this guy play for the hell of it and report back.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If you're not allowed to start new posts, did you stop to think that maybe there was a reason why? This subject would make a fine thread, and if you waited a little while, someone else would have started it, seeing as he's on the homepage of ESPN basketball right now.

19. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

First, Jackie Christie would be proud.

Second, rookies who post unrelated articles should be warned then banned. Sorry just because it is about a young basketball player has nothing to do with Vasquez.

20. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

both of them would be wasted picks!!!!!! i can't believe you didnt catch that :eek: