1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drexler or Kobe?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Icehouse, Jul 26, 2006.

?

Who would you choose?

1. Drexler

256 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Kobe

271 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

very few people get along with Barkley
    Barkley is a loud mouth . . .and you either love him or hate him
    after the UTAH LOSS . .
    where Clyde was held and BARKLEY DIDN'T SWITCH LIKE
    HE WAS SUPPOSE TOO
    [If your man PICKS on the last shot. . u have to switch ALWAYS!!!
    esp when it is less than 4 seconds on the clock]

Is that the game you are talking about?

I don't remember the laugh

Rocket RIver

2. clyde

clyde Member

CLYDE DREXLER!!!

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The whole argument about whether Clyde got a team to the finals as opposed to Kobe is less important... Think about the teams

The Blazers had

Terry Porter >> Smush Parker
    Clyde Drexler = Kobe Bryant
    Jerome Kersey >> Brian Cook
    Buck Williams << Lamar Odom (although Odom has yet to come close to his potential)
    Cliff Robinson>>>>>>>>>>>>Kwame Brown

Kobe's team is flat out trash at this point and certainly compared to Clyde's team.

I didn't watch enough basketball back then to make an objective view of Clyde but he really was always in jordan's shadow so it's almost impossible for me to give an objective view of the guy.

4. caphorns

caphorns Member

I'll start by saying I love Clyde. But you guys should think of running some fair comparisons to determine which has had the better career. For instance, Clyde played 5 more years than Kobe has to date, plus Kobe started at 18, Clyde at 21. If you take both from 21 years out and look at the same number of years from a statistical perspective, I'm pretty sure Kobe will stand out as the better player. And those were the Glyde's best years as I recall. IMO, in his prime, there's no doubt in my mind that Kobe > Clyde. Certainly, I think the non-Rocket fan public sees this as a much bigger gap.

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

sorry, gonna have to say Hakeem carried us. of course, you could retort with Shaq was teh one who carred the Lakers. then, we'll just be back to square one. if i want a victory, i want Kobe with the ball.

6. #1draftpik

#1draftpik Member

Don't forget guys that when Clyde was with the Blazers one year, he punched Hakeem in the back of the head during a fast break. Although I have loved Clyde since Phi Slamma Jamma, when the games on the line, Kobe would be my pick to take the last shot between the two.

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

But that is just it, Kobe is not more likely to take you to the Finals without another dominant player. That is, unless you are talking about them both in 2006.

In his prime, Drexler took the Blazers to the Finals virtually singlehanded.

Kobe is a punk. A talented punk to be certain, but a punk who needs another superstar to win it all.

8. tmacyao111

tmacyao111 Member

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

The Glide

10. Rocketswon

Rocketswon Member

11. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

As much as I like Clyde and hate Kobe I think when it is all said and done Kobe will be the better basketball player. Kobe is a better scorer and better defensivley even though Clyde was was pretty good himself but that just shows you Kobes talent. Plus the fact that Kobe has 3 rings put him a bit over Drexler but saying all this I pick DREXLER :D

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It is pretty shameful to me that on a Rockets fan based board, that Kobe Bryant is actually LEADING here over a beloved former Rocket in Drexler. I mean I could see this if this was "Who was better: Kobe or Matt Bullard?", but Drexler is one of the 50 greatest players of all-time and did take a team to the finals twice before he came to the Rockets. I guess it is not too surprising that many would take a selfish punk like Kobe over a classy team guy like Clyde. You guys who picked Kobe aren't true Rocket fans and make me sick. :(

13. macalu

yea, what was i thinking not picking a Rocket? you know, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Rockets are NOT going to win the NBA championship this year either. WAIT, WHAT? did i just say that? how could i claim to be a true Rockets' fan if i don't think they'll win it all. Hakeem Olajuwan isn't the best player to ever play in the NBA!!! :eek:

as for the 50 greatest players, that's all subjective. it's not as if there was a consensus on every single player.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Dream was the man but there were certain games where it was Clyde carrying us. I remember one in the Utah series. I watched game 5 and 6 of the SA series two days ago and lyde was dominating while Dream was off. Clyde was the one that kept us in the game in Game 1 against Orlando. I could go on but those are the ones I remember off the top of the dome.

15. Icehouse

How was Kobe better defensively? All of Clyde's defensive numbers (rebounds, steals and blocks) are better.

16. Icehouse

Do these ratings take into effect the difference in era's (like in the 80's teams scored more and had more possessions per game).

17. macalu

i'm not denying Clyde's greatness. but if i wanted someone to take the last shot for my team, it'll be Kobe over Clyde.

#37 macalu, Jul 26, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well no duh that the Rockets aren't going to win the championship this year. I think everybody and their brother knows that (well except DaDakota :p ). And my post was over the top on purpose but it was done to point out that Clyde Drexler is not chopped liver. He was a great player - if it hadn't been for one guy (the greatest ever in Jordan), he might have won several rings before coming over to the Rockets. Add in the fact that he is a team player and classy, pretty much the antithesis of Bryant, I just find it disappointing that the majority of this board (at least that which voted) find Bryant to be better.

What happened to all the homers on this board? Do they only exist for the Van Gundy era?

19. macalu

well, this board has been unindated with a bunch of youngsters who were probably still breastfeeding when Clyde was taking Portland to the Finals. and so they all just know Kobe's game. i'm not one of them. i've had teh privelegde to watch Clyde in his prime and there's no doubt he was phenomenal. still, after watching both players, i'd hand over my team to Kobe. sure, he's selfish compared to Clyde but he gets teh job done.

20. Icehouse

I agree with that. But to me the game is about the other 47 minutes as well, not just the last one.