1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Novak signed....JLIII next

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

Just reported on fox...Novak's deal is apparently complete (im not sure of the years and money, but its second money for sure and probably two years). John Lucas's deal could be done by the end of this week. GO ROCKETS!

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

two years... option on third.

jl3... decision "could" come at the end of the week.

3. tmacattack131

tmacattack131 Member

It's about time. Did they mention the length and the amount of the contract?

4. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Booo-yah-ca-shah!

And JL3 is as good as signed. :D

5. tmacattack131

tmacattack131 Member

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Welcome to the Rockets Steve Novak!

7. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Sweet, welcome aboard Novak.

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Wait, are you talking about Novak? Because then we must have broke into our MLE for him also. I guess management isn't going to pursue outside free agents with the rest of the MLE and are just content to lock up our young guys to more flexible deals.

9. rainfly99

rainfly99 New Member

nothing exciting

10. Tameway

Tameway Member

As a 2nd round rookie, Novak maybe take a 4 yrs' contract with team option on 3th and 4th. Around $2,500,000 four yrs, i think.

11. jsnwu

jsnwu Member

Good news. Welcome to this family.

12. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

That's what Berman said, 2 years with an option on the third.

13. tmacattack131

tmacattack131 Member

Is it a team or player option?

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It will be interesting to see how much they are paying him. I'm happy that he is on our team.

15. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

you dont need to use the mle to give a 2nd rounder his contract.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I have to assume it is a team option. Players get options when they have bargaining power, not when they still have to prove they can actually compete in the league.

Edit: I think m-cable is right. The rookie exception is for 1st round picks. I think second rounders are generally signed with the minimum exception. That exception is limited to 2 years. Can anyone confirm that?

Not that it matters. Enough of the MLE is gone that we can't really get much with what remains.

#16 JuanValdez, Jul 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Interesting. Like I said, they must have broken into their MLE, because a minimum contract can be a maximum of two years in length. To put that third year option on, they had to use part of the MLE because that's all the money they have left.

Oh and tmacattack131, it has to be a team option. There's really no reason for the Rox to give him a player option. None whatsoever.

So I guess CD was serious when he said he wasn't looking to sign anymore free agents, and was more focused on trades.

18. Tameway

Tameway Member

Not MLE, but part of MLE, also for V-Span.

19. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

that doesnt make sense, it was reported earlier that jl3 would get his 3rd year too, what would we give him then?

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Wow definitely using MLE money to make that deal. Not a bad strategy, they offer him a little more money than the rookie contract but get him for 3 or 4 years at thier option. It's kind of like the Fram commercial, "You can pay me now or you can pay me later". I understand they intend to do the same to JLIII which means not much MLE money left. But we will have all our Rookies locked in for 3 years with Bird rights. We also get the added bonus of not having to waste any future MLE money on them. The more I think about it the more I like it especially considering it's not a great year for free agents. If they blow up we save a fortune and if they don't we lose a little more but not much. Somebodies working the Risk Management angle here. And we still have enough MLE money to outbid another team's minimum contract offer if a player like Lorenzo Wright should fall that low.

#20 Old Man Rock, Jul 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2006