1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone gonna miss Stro?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Jul 25, 2006.

1. docgundy

docgundy Member

The guy had no IQ. He had no brain. He had no post-up game either, which is why he's been left out of offenses wherever he's gone.

2. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

We will miss Stro, mark my words not only did it send the wrong message to free agents but now we have no secondary shot blocking player on the team other than Ming Yao.

3. Tameway

Tameway Member

I dont think so.

4. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

That was Van Gundy's fault. And it was also Van Gundy's fault that Stro had flippers instead of hands. I will miss seeing him get a pass when he's right under the rim, only to bobble it for a couple of seconds and then lose it.

I'm going to miss him sucking when he's dunking on us next year.

5. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

You have to wonder why Jerry West was reportedly tickled to death to get him back. You have to wonder what the Rox are gonna do for a back-up 4-5. He was no miracle worker for sure, but I would have hoped JVG could have gotten more out him. Boo, J V G.

6. RodrickRhodes

RodrickRhodes Member

I will miss Stro. I don't think he ever got a chance after he took a paycut to play here. He never got to play consistently and suffered a couple of injuries when he did start to play well. No way a guy can develop a good rhythm playing two 5-10 intervals during a game. On top of that, he was always looking over his shoulder, because JVG was ready to immediately yank him whenever he made a mistake. Players should be allowed to play and make mistakes as well. Say what you want about the guy, but he's better than J-Ho. Also, he played much better with Yao in my view and that's what is most important to me.

7. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I'm gonna miss him. I don't think he was as "dumb/stupid/etc" as people keep saying, b/c oh my, the rest of our team just has this intelligent aura about them... :rolleyes:

The guy wasn't given a fair shake here in Houston in a consistent rotation. On the other hand, that's just how it goes in the NBA. If we can give just about everyone a "free-pass" b/c of injuries last season, why does Swift not get one? Way too much hate here in Htown for him. He just wasn't given a fair chance.

Also, why is it that Sura is "the heart and energy we've been missing?" You kiddin me? Yao gets pumped up, Tracy does, Barry did, Rafer is excitable...I'm pumped to see Sura too, but c'mon, let's not speak as if the rest of our team is unemotional and just going through the motions.

Eh, sorry for the rant...I know we all back our team, maybe it's just the recent arrivals that get me worked up :p Oh please just bring on the new season so I can forget last season...

8. stq

stq Member

yeah..we will miss his defence...
    he is a decent PF, not top notch, but decent...

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not in the slightest.

10. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Agreed.

11. compucomp

compucomp Member

If Sidney Lowe, Hubie Brown, and Mike Fratello couldn't get him to produce to potential, you shouldn't fault JVG. His underperformance is not in any way new.

Highlight reels are totally skewed, and only serve to bring light to the fact that Stromile has the POTENTIAL to do great things. 6 years into his career, POTENTIAL isn't good enough. He needs to actually be doing stuff.

Sure, I'll miss the highlight dunks, but that's more than overshadowed by the joy of avoiding his otherwise lethargic and stupid play. It's so annoying to see him jump out of his shoes at every single pump fake and throw 3 passes out of bounds in a span of 3 minutes.

12. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Hmmm....I'll get back to you on that one...

Nope!

13. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

i will be L M A O and weeping at the same time if we have the need and have to try to sign him at a later date like the experince we had with Queen James :rolleyes:

14. RodrickRhodes

RodrickRhodes Member

Most of you guys had unrealistic expectations in relation to Stro. We weren't getting Kevin Garnett or some other 20-10 guy, we got Stromile Swift. If you look at Stro's stats and J-Ho's stats there basically the same with the exception that Juwan got a lot more playing time and shot the ball more as well. I think a lot of people, JVG included, took out and are still taking out their frustrations for last season's poor performance by the team on Stro, because he's an easy target.

15. The Fever

The Fever Member

That is one way you could say it. Another way to say it would be that he didn't EARN his way into the consistent rotation. To me, it speaks volumes that when our starting C goes down due to injury, that the only people he had to out-play for playing time was Mutombo (83 years old) and Juwan (plays like he's 83 years old), and he still couldn't sniff the floor. That isn't so much a product of JVG as it is a result of his lazy, inept, loafing, only-gonna-try-if-I'm-open-for-a-dunk attitude. He never displayed any fire, agression, leadership, or any other of the positive things you would expect from a player of his caliber. Other than the occasional rim-rattling dunk, he was useless.

Trust me, no one was more excited when he signed here than I was. Conversely, no one was more irritated when I had to watch him loaf through most games as I was either. Good riddance.

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

NO, but I wonder how he would of done if he had started along Yao, and Tracy. Further more, I think the expectations of him were WAY too high. He gave us exactly what he gave Memphis which is a 10 and 5 guy. He would of been nice for us if he came off the bench for us next year.

17. geegee1337

geegee1337 Member

i'm gonna miss him, I would have loved to see what he could have done if tmac and yao took us to the playoffs.

18. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Ill miss the highlight reel dunks but not much else.

19. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Exactly, he never got consistent minutes and he never got to play with Yao and T-mac and the Rockets just gave up on the guy. Their impatience is one reason why we have not gone forward as a team. How can you make progress when the latest plan is always on the scrap heap. How long will they give some of their recent signings before they get scrapped too? :mad:

20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I was all for the Stros signing last summer and kept hoping for consistency out of him. For whatever ever reason you want to pin it too, we never got it.

I wish him the best but when this season starts I won't miss him in the slightest.