1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob Sura to give it one more shot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #1draftpik, Jul 21, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yep, and it should be stickied too...oh wait.

Great news on Sura. I will be much more excited about this upcoming season if Sura comes back. :cool:

2. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

It's not a bonehead claim, it's a logical claim. Bonehead is someone fantasizing as him being the 3rd best player, when we just acquired Shane Battier, and the fact of these following problems;

Fact; 15 months since playing, 2 surgeries, 33 years old. Does that seem like he's going to come back 100% healthy like his 04-05 season and be a 3rd option?

Again, when I mean him coming back, I mean coming back to his 04-05 form.

3. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

Exactly. If rockets' success need Sura's significant contribution, then we should have another sticker for whom will be #1 pick in Summer, 2007.

4. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

C'mon. We know better, who should we get for the #1 pick in the summer of 2007? You think we'll actually keep it, pssh.

5. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Yes sir. Correct assessment.

If we're to be true contenders, Sura's output should be 4th or 5th best on the team. But either way, he's one more injury away from calling it quits. I predict he'll play less than 40 games this season, IF he plays at all.

6. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Sura is done...he should just hang em up.

7. YaosArmy

YaosArmy Contributing Member

I cant wait for sura to come back. Hes the toughest player on this roster. even if he dosnt contribute too much on the court. Im sure players will feed off his toughness.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You must be talking about mental toughness because he can't hold Yao's jock for physical toughness. And he isn't even close to Battier. But if you're talking about "get out of my face I am a skinny little white dude that's going to kick your a$$" type toughness, I'll give him that.

I don't expect much from Sura this year, if anything. But of all the players on our roster last year outside of Yao and Tmac, a healthy Sura is the 1 I would want back. And if he could come back 90% of what he was; if he could come off the bench and play 10-15 hard minutes then I would say we got a great bonus this offseason.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If Sura comes back, should he play mostly at PG or SG?

Assuming Sura and Lucas III are on the roster, I like our roster. Our depth on the perimeter is pretty good:

1: Alston Spanoulis Lucas
    2: McGrady Snyder Sura
    3: Battier (McGrady) Novak
    4: Howard (Battier) Hayes
    5: Yao Mutombo

Key questions/issues:
    * Need another backup center
    * Does McGrady start at SG or SF?
    * Is Battier the starting SF, PF, or does he come off the bench?
    * Does Alston retain the starting PG spot?
    * Who becomes the primary backup PG (Spanoulis, Lucas, or Sura)?
    * What will we get out of Novak and Hayes this year?

#89 durvasa, Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bob Sura is a straight up hustla!
    everyday sura is hustling hu hu husling
    real hard real hard

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this thread is hilarious. this is the bagwell situation with rockets. believe me, its about the money, or he wouldn't have said that its not. the guy is owed $7mill over the next two years I believe. why would he retire. this is his last paycheck.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

umm you do know that bagwell would have received his money NO MATTER WHAT happened. case closed. the only difference was whether the astros got reimbursed by the insurance company.

i'm not exactly sure how it works in the nba but i think sura gets paid whether he retires or not as well. most players have money priority #1, sura probably included at some point, but looking at his character, i think he really wants to play because he misses it.

13. tmacyao111

tmacyao111 Member

umm....u still get paid if im right

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Didn't see this posted anywhere:

Man, I would love to see Sura back on the court one more time, we really need his toughness and his heart.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so what's the rule, I thought if you retire you don't get paid, but the team the salary still counts against the cap. basically a player who's injured has no incentive to retire because he forfiets money and he doesn't help the team. that's why a. houston with the knicks negotiated a settlement and the for the salary amnesty the knicks got rid of jerome williams, but houston's salary doesn't come off the cap to this year.

so its in both the rockets and sura's interest to play, because he is gonna count against the cap either way.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

houston's contract was insured.

in sura's case, i guess he'll be paid whatever base amount of the remaining years he is entitled to.

17. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

We don't even know if he is coming back or not...Sura doesn't strike me as a guy only after the money....his play on the court with his hustle and heart tell me he really loves the game..but i'm not naive to think part of it isn't money related...money is importatnt to everyone, including eveyone on this thread...the people who say money isn't importatnt, don't have any!!....I hope he does come back because we need a guy like him.....

18. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Hope nothing bad happen to Sura if he does decide to make a comeback. It's still a risk, I reckon. Man, you really love this guy determination.

19. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Anyone else find it odd the amount of media attention this has gotten?

I mean, 610 reported the workout a day earlier which means, more than likey, the Rockets released a statement to the media about the event and media availability of Sura. So, what is the big deal? He had to have worked out in front of some in the organization beforehand and why is a hour or so workout in front of coaching staff a big deal now?

I just find it odd that the Rockets are going a little out of their way to make it known he is really trying to and very could play this season.

Could Sura be on the table in a possible deal and the Rockets wanted it to be known that he is more than just a contract to match salary?

Then, add the 'pending' signing of Lucas. I mean, he has decided he wants to be with the Rockets and no one else, they want him as well, the deal has apparently been all but done but a few details for about 5 days. I'm not going to pretend to know all the inner working of NBA contrcat negotiations, but does it take this long to cross all the T's and dot all the I's?

Hell, I don't know maybe I'm looking to hard into this stuff. Just all seems odd to me.

20. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Your not looking too hard into anything. I don't know about a trade or anything. But all of this stuff is weird. Especially that workout thing