1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official]Astros @ Mets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

How the **** do you let Burke sit on the bench in the 9th inning and let Scott, Ausmus, and Everett bat?

I've had it with Garner.

2. Pocket Rockets

shouldve questioned everett batting

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

4. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Another chokejob by the Astros :|

5. sammy

oh yeah....garner sucks

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Yeahhhh 3-0 lead turns into a loss wooooooooooooot goooo astross

7. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

Does Garner not read and study the statistics ? He let Scott bat when batters have a .128 BA against Wagner, why didn't he let Burke bat ? In a close game I know Ausmus got a hit but he and Everrette should never be batting in a close game. Junkyard Dawg is right...SMALL BALL !! I know this isn't college baseball but Augie Garedo the coach of the Texas Longhorns has always won that way. Its fundamental baseball that you learn even in tee ball. I just don't understand Garners moves and like I said before maybe he has lost the passion or something. I can watch the Cubs, Nationals, Royals, etc...teams that have worse records than ours and we just look so much worse. I can't even believe we have won as many games as we have be it that most of those wins came early in the year. There is no excuse for these loses when you played so good in April and part of May.... :(

8. Rox Addict

Well Sammy better be careful !! I think that Garner is making some bad moves but I hinted some of his bad calls the other day on this board and had to dodge stones. I think we need to look at all aspects of this game but I couldn't agree more he has made some horrible - horrible moves and game decisions. I think I mentioned the othe other day that he alone has lost a handful of games for the Astros but the players have to take some of that heat as well.....

9. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

We do indeed suck. Team needs to be shaken up. Trades.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves, & wishing upon a star like Jiminy effing Cricket.

10. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Not commenting on this particular situation, but Garner is usually quite devoted to lefty-righty matchups and often takes a lot of heat for that, too.

I think most people's problem with him at the moment is that he's not winning ballgames, regardless of how.

11. Rox Addict

Yeah but Wagner is a left hander ?

12. Rule0001

Well, that's a given obviously. Still though, it's the way garner manages the game sometimes that pisses you off more than anything. Like actually letting ausmus and everett bat in any clutch situation lol.

Then again though, this team really needs another bat. I think the lineup's fine as is actually, we just need some guys to pickup where they left off last year.

It'd be nice if Luke Scott could actually develop into the slugger that he's supposed to be. Hell, it'd of been nice if Jason Lane knew how to swing a bat every once in a while as well. Then again, Ensberg hasn't helped the team much in terms of driving in runs, regardless of OBP.

Really, we've had the pieces in the lineup that we need to have a decent offense, they just haven't panned out that well.

13. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

We are desperately running out of time in this season.

Every player on this team needs to sit down and watch the 2005 Houston Astros: The Championship Season on dvd tomorrow before the game.

They have got to do something to recapture that magic. And do it quick.

14. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

Were you guys this critical last year when we were winning? I agree some of his moves are questionable...but during the last 2 seasons during our great comebacks, he was doing the same questionable moves and they were working.

I think some of you bandwagon fans here need to chill out, because if we turn this thing around you are going to be praising Garner.

But then again thats the nature of the beast with some fans who think they know more than they do. Things bad...they know everything, things good...our manager is a genius.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Garner is neither a fool, nor a genius, but it wasn't managing that went on those hellacious streaks. It begins and ends with pitching and batters going on tears like Ensberg and Lane last year and Beltran and Kent in 2004. If Lidge doesn't blow six, or seven games then we are looking at the season a whole lot differently.

16. Rule0001

I believe it was said that OBP was the single greatest stat ever created in any sport.

17. Rule0001

My new proposed astros lineup

1)chris burke ss -good
    2)Morgan ensberg 3b -good obp, takes a lot of pitches
    3)Lance Berkman rf - best hitter
    4)Aubrey Huff 1b - cleanup hitter in TB
    5)Mike Lamb LF -Probably sucks at LF, but LF doesn't exist in MMP
    6)Preston Wilson CF - Probably sucks at CF but the nl doesn't have the power to hit it over an outfielders head
    7)Craig Biggio 2b - sentimental value only, he really should be benched
    8)Brad Ausmus C -should be benched as well
    9)Pitcher

Everett comes in the game for defensive replacement, burke goes to second
    Back when Huff was good, he could hit lefties, which explains why two lefties are hitting back to back

18. sammy

Not a bandwagon fan....never liked Garner in the first place

19. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Does this happen to anyone else on a consistant basis????

I'm in the car this afternoon...I tune into the game...and within the next few pitches, Backe gives up the 3 run bomb.

It seems like everytime I tune into the game, whether it be on TV or radio, the Astros give up a homer.

Now this doesn't happen ALL the time...but happens enough for me to take notice. It really sucks also!!

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

The problem with Garner, and I think everyone on this team, is each of their problems or weaknesses are being maginfied and compounded by all this losing. This is by and large the same team that went to the WS last year and same manager that has brought the team success in the postseason the past few seasons. They really aren't as bad as they're playing, and I don't think any amount of shuffling, trading, demoting and promoting (now) is gonna turn this team around unless the players that are currently on it; the key players, start producing again.

Winning cures all.

But I would like to see a different approach by Garner on offense...perhaps get a little more agressive on the base baths, do some running...instead of waiting around for either the dp or to just get marooned.