1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

State of the Stros: Rebuild or Sell Out to Win Now

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Major Malcontent, Jul 19, 2006.

?

Should we Rebuild or Sell the Farm to Win Now

1. Sell the farm to win it all now, Roger and Craig deserve no less

31 vote(s)
    27.4%
  2. It's over...our offense won't make the playoffs..Andy and Roger to highest bidder

16 vote(s)
    14.2%
  3. Hope for a miracle..but don't trade any more farm talent for vets unless we can sign em long term

58 vote(s)
    51.3%
  4. Can't tell unless I have 35 pages of OPS, RISP, Runs Created, and other relivant stats to guide me.

8 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

As a result of my job I have seen every Astros home game for the better part of 3 seasons. I am starting to feel like we need to inject a little youth and build around Berkman, Oswalt and Burke.

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Trade the Rocket to the Yankees for a couple of mid-level prospects.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This is absolutely silly.

There's not a chance this team is going to rebuild. Things looked much worse in 2004 at this time than they do now... and they didn't sell then.

Guys, I have a question. Do any of you seriously, actually believe that the Reds are going to make the playoffs? Is that team going to hold up? If you're like 99 percent of the world and answer no... then the Astros are either tied or within 2 games of every serious Wild Card contender. That's right - trailing by two whole games with 65 or so left to play.

We've played about as poorly as we can play... one of our projected best hitters is currently on the DL and hasn't made a significant contribution in more than a month... and we're still within two games. This team is more talented than any of it's primary competitors, and accordingly it has more upside. And there's more than ample time for that upside to take effect.

This team isn't selling. They're going for it, and they're likely going to get it. Pose this question again when we're trailing by 6-7 games and/or to a team other than the Reds.

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Couldn't agree more. Team's only 4 games out right now...at this rate, even IF they continue this mediocre play they'd still be in it with a few weeks left. Why the hell would you sell now? Plus, even if they don't make it this season, they do have a good foundation to build upon and tweak.

5. toby

toby Member

doesnt the fact that we got huff over here mean that we are buying not selling. That was a week ago. Has that much changed since then? Was Timmy just pulling our leg when he said that there was more to come?

Rebuild?

You don't rebuild when you are in the hunt.

6. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

It's not like the current teams ahead of us in the WC are actually better. There's a reason why many of them are around .500. Though it does suck that we couldn't take advantage of it for several months. But you just have to chug it through. The only teams that scare me, however, are the Braves (they've played more sloppily than we did and can be much better if they get that good reliever) and the Brewers (especially if their pitching returns to form).

7. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Astros don't rebuild. They reload. Yankees and prospects is an oxymoron.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Should have put BURKE in the lineup and as a starter (f*ck pinch-hittin') a long ass time ago... or maybe his fielding skills weren't that good to begin with? Every time I watch an entire game, Burke comes in to drive some people in, or to hit a big-time base-clearing long ball. :mad:

9. Hakeem's Dream

Hakeem's Dream Contributing Member

We need to make sure Burke, Lamb and Berkman are in every single batting lineup from now until the end of the World Series.

10. Buck Turgidson

Everybody needs days off.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Weigh your chances of getting to/winning the World Series this year, versus how long it will concievably be if we go into rebuilding mode now.

It's honestly a tough question for me, and I keep wondering if we missed our chance last year.

Evan

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

We won't be in the WS if we continue to having mediocre bats and bullpen issues...

Having said that, Miracles do happen and I can see us making a run...Glass Half full...

13. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

well *bleeping* said... it's a tough feeling. Damn last year was fun huh?

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I am going to echo a suggestion that some people at Orangwhoopass.com have been floating. Let's see what Oswalt could get the team. His trade value will never be higher and I think people should not automatically assume that he will resign with the team. Can you imagine the A+ prospects that a team like the Angels could net us? It's something worth considering.

15. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

Oswalt would bring a heck of a lot of prospects and load of the farm system.

If next year is not going well I see them shipping him off to bring some arms in. It has already been said that he is going to test the free agent market.

16. Bobby60

Bobby60 Member

Stick a fork in the Astros - they're done for this year.

I've been a die hard 'Stros fan for years - but they've never been quite as disappointing as they have so far this year.

• The offense just plain sucks. Watching them during this current road trip has been excrutiatingly painful. One game with 18 hits, and haven't has that many total in the other 8. Keep getting beat by "no name" rookie pitchers - c.f. tonight's lesson on incompetence against the Mets. Or else they hit the ball right at someone - Valentin in the 7th, Floyd robbong Burke of a HR. Popouts and Ks - we must be leading the League. There's no one in the line-up that an opposing team is afraid of, including Berkman lately.
    • Pitching has either been horrible (Buckholtz, Pettite, Rodroguez, et al.) or fading from lack of run support (see above) for Oswalt and Clemens. The bull pen is struggling beyond belief. The only guy who's been decent lately is Nieve. Lidge is a basket case, and I think his loss of confidence is affecting the rest of the relievers. Maybe it's time to bring up some of our outstanding minor leaguers and give them some major league experience. Maybe they'd turn the tables on our opponents by winning some of those no name matchups. If a pitcher makes one mistake (e.g. Oswalt against the Cubs the other night), he knows it's highly unlikely that the Astros can push across a big inning to overcome that mistake.
    • Garner has become both too conservative and too predictable (with exception of Everett's squeeze against the Cubs. Of course he doesn't have a whole hell of a lot to work with off the bench - c.f. Willy Taveras and Orlando Palmeiro as his pinch hitting "power". He can only work with what Pupura and management give him. Our $104 million budget ($85 million and change without Roger) has a very low ROI. If Preston Wilson got paid for either his strikeouts or the bad pitches he all too often swings at, he be worth the $5-6 million he's being paid.
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

17. TheBigSleep

TheBigSleep Member

I think the Astros need to go out with a bang this year, in other words, we need to go all in

It is very likely Clemens is completely done after this year, and Pettite will likely not be retained.

That is why this Tejada trade will happen I think, managment realizes that after this year they are going into rebuilding mode, and that they want to go out with a bang.

Of course, Drayton is such a cheaparse that he will just let Clemens, Pettite, Huff, Tejada go, and keep Biggio on for no other reason than to get 3000 hits.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

here we go again. :rolleyes:

19. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

20. Ryan Bowen MVP

I just read that Petitte is thinking about retiring last season. In the article it sounded like he is getting bored playing baseball.