1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vote VAN ROWDIES!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by envus22, Jul 20, 2006.

1. edc

edc Contributing Member

I never said Mr. Van Gundy "wasn't putting any money into this." He might've paid for some percentage of the cost (although I doubt it). I just see no reason to believe he pulled his wallet out and paid for thirty season tickets from his own largesse.

2. K-Dawg

K-Dawg Contributing Member

EDC..honestly you're dead wrong. These tickets, along with 20 others that will be used for upgrades and free tickets on a game-by-game basis, have already been purchased by JVG. Admittedly, he's doing it in response to the efforts of the marketing group in conjunction with Clutchfans when the place was crazy for the Golden State game last year. Nevertheless, it's his money and I think the name should reflect that.

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

Do the math. Assuming these tickets were paid for, that's at a minimum $100 per, 45 games, 30 seats. The equals $135K.

That is a significant enough sum of money there should be no problem coming up with a cancelled check to the organization or a copy of a pay stub indicating a payroll deduction. Until that happens, I call this a marketing stunt.

4. arjun

arjun Member

the engine, the motor, the blaze....i dont kno
    quick question for CLUTCH, are you actually clutch the bear? if u are then man u did a good job at procity, u were hilarious

5. K-Dawg

I AM with the organization (Clutch can vouch). 100% JVG purchased.

6. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

That is awesome...

Since it is Van Gundy's money he is investing in this effort to get the Toyota Center going nuts + I assume he can make that important decision on how he wants to allocate these 30 season tickets (not just at the rally event I hope ->maybe I will run into him at the Rice Village or something random)!!!, but can we somehow have a seperate Clutchfans meeting of the minds with him to prove our worthyness for season tickets since alot of us folks at the Clutchfans GSW game may not be able to be apart of this organized event. I know that JVG giving us mad props for the noise level at that game is good for the resume, but I will not be able to attend that late August rally event due to a previous commitment. Its all good though...

#26 ron413, Jul 21, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  7. edc

edc Contributing Member

Good for you.

I still won't believe it until I see a cancelled check or a payroll stub with a deduction.

8. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Excuse me, but the Rockets organization doesn't owe you or me any PROOF of this purchase. KDawg says it's so and I tend to agree.

Here is why, I happen to be one of the lucky guys picked to be on the Rockets Fan Council. We met last year four or five times at TC to discuss in game promotions, activities, music, Power Dancer routines, stuff like that. They asked us what we thought of a draft party......I told them it would be very exciting unless they traded the pick!

Anyway, they were discussing trying to build excitement in the arena with a section they might call the "red rowdies". The folks would all be in red and real loud and they might go up in the upper deck and bring them down if they were loud.

I mentioned that in the SBC center, they have an endzone section that is branded and they all are really loud. It is a predetermined area and you know that when you buy into that section. I am guessing that they figured they would try to do the same thing somehow, but JVG said, I'll buy the tickets, just make sure they are loud! I have no reason to doubt he bought the tickets, but even if I did, the Rockets don't owe me any proof of that.

9. K-Dawg

Try to make it. It should be an interesting day. Coach will be judging!

10. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

It was a nice sentiment by JVG to buy the tickets should fetch him a nice little tax deduction and create a little good will towards the fans.

It amazing how far people will go to defend the coach and it's also amazing how far people will go to attack him. Just an interesting quirk of human nature I guess.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Van Chancellors
    MAKE A MOOO

Rocket River

12. blu_monkey

blu_monkey Contributing Member

The organization doesn't owe you anything.

If K-Dawg's is saying that it is straight up JVG cash, then I believe him. If you don't believe it, then don't. Honestly, marketing or not, the bottom line is that the Rockets are allowing some lucky rowdy fans a chance at FREE season tickets. If you don't want any part, then there are plenty that do.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hope Van Gundy knows that Mr Stern will be upset
    I mean . .someone getting over a hundred K from Van Gundy . .and it ain't the league

Rocket River

14. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

wait wait what? if there's something wrong with a coach buying tickets then theres something wrong with wrong

15. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Jeff's Refs

16. envus22

envus22 Contributing Member

I could easily manufacture a check and put his name on it, but would you really believe it then??? All I have to say is JVG is giving away 30 FREE SEASON TIX. Be happy or be gone... Don't rain on others' hopes of actually scoring better seats, via this new section, or even making it to more than five home games next season.

If your only focus is on the etimology of the tix, then put on your sherlock cap and go be a detective or something...

Let us have this moment.

Big ups to JVG & the ROX

K-dawg, pls. keep us posted on the actual Rowdies audition time...

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yeah, I have to say, this is one of the cooler things JVG has ever done. Literally putting his money where his mouth is, and where the mouths of a lot of our whinier friends around here are, too.

18. edc

edc Contributing Member

Too bad Mister Van Gundy probably had very little to do with it, and there is no reason to believe he put up anywhere near the $100K+ value of those tickets.

No matter, things will be better a season from now when the section is branded with the name of some player or the new head coach.

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You're unbelievable. But I've proved my point that you were wrong. ;)

20. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Actually, there's EVERY reason to believe he put up the money, since only you are saying he didn't. Only you. In the whole wide world. What interest could the Rockets POSSIBLY have to build the popularity of their coach, whom we all agree has a perfectly good chance of being fired after this season?

If you want to be cynical, clearly it's only Van Gundy himself who would benefit from the claim that he purchased the tickets. But even if you want to be THAT conspiracy-happy, the fans STILL benefit.