1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Quotes from Chron] KillBill, CD and JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fegwu, Jul 20, 2006.

1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Ooooooh he can dunk? Thats realy cool :eek: :rolleyes: :D

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Why do you guys say KillBill, its Kill Bill.

3. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Yetti! has an excellent point. Unflattering nicknames can cripple a player's development.

1. Charles Barkley was never the same after "Round Mound of Rebound" became popularized. I remember last season on a TNT halftime show, he told Kenny that the nickname still gave him anxiety.

2. Phonetically, "Air Jordan" is the same as "Err Jordan," and we saw how it stunted that shooting guard's growth.

3. Karl Malone's career was never the same when fans tauntingly called him "The Mailman," a cruel reference to Newman on Seinfeld

4. Ervin Johnson, a devout Christian, spent 13 years battling the baggage that went along with his pagan nickname, "Magic."

5. Even our own Hakeem Olajuwon was never the same after getting slapped with the effeminate "Dream."

So lay off the cruel Kill Bill references, will ya guys? And where did it come from, anyway? Maybe we should devote a thread to this.

4. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

mir gehört der thread quasi. ;)

lass mich raten, du bist p_one? ich bin jedenfalls cuttino. :D

to all non german speaking members: sorry, for the off topic posts.

5. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Well, Karl Malone did choke on the freethrow line after Scottie Pippen informed him that "Mailman don't deliver on Sundays."

Also, about "Magic". His real name is Earvin, not Ervin. His career went OK, until he contracted a disease for using his "Magic Johnson" one too many times with groupies.

Ervin Johnson, on the other hand, is this guy:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ervin_johnson/index.html

He never achieved his potential after being compared to Earvin Johnson and given the horrible nickname "Tragic Johnson" by some fans...

6. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

See I don't know what to take of JVG, here. He says the amount of interest and money put in for Spanoulis is something that'll go into the 'rotation'. Yet he pulls back and says he's a 2nd rounder and if James were to have come here, he wouldn't have come. Do I see this as the same when he told James, he's lucky to be playing, so Sura can start ahead of him?

I hate when JVG makes comments like these, T-mac was the 9th pick, I guess if we get KVH, who as #2 I believe in that same draft, he starts at SF over T-mac? Screw where they were drafted, if they were good, they play. Chuck wasn't drafted, Ryan Bowen was, Ryan gets more time than Chuck, great logic there JVG.

Why does JVG say a comment about Vassilis in the rotation, god I hope I'm wrong, but he'll never let that happen unless Vassilis decides to play Bowen or we are injury-riddled. I really don't expect to see much Luther, expect him gone in January, cause knowing JVG he'll say Luther was very lucky to play last season since the injuries, since we won't be injured this season, he's unlucky cause he's not going to play. As of right now, he's our best bench player, I don't care if we were injured so he got time, I care as if he can play, he's confident, he contributes, not by where selected, it's more of oppurtunity, something has to go in JVG's thick skull!

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think I read somewhere Peja has Greek citizenship.

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The effeminate "Dream". Bwahahahaha. Good one.

Something about your phrasing on this made me really laugh.

9. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Exactly, working for a guy who's never satisfied is a morale and motivation killer. You kill yourself to get the job done and JVG is thinking you should work as hard as he does. This is a guy who doesn't even sleep during the regular season and he wants his players to do the same.

Give your guys a goal that is reachable and it will motivate them. Give them pie in the sky like JVG does and they think why even try this guy is never happy. Even when CD and the Rockets try to have a celebratory parade JVG is pissing all over the parade floats. :D :D

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not concerned about what JVG is saying now. He's blunt, and he's probably trying to light a fire under KillBill, so he'll prove him wrong. Where I have a problem with Van Gundy's comments of this nature is when they occur during the season, in front of the media. I don't think that's cool at all, but that's the way he is.

I wanted to add that I bet he's far different in practice, then he is in games. If he weren't, we wouldn't hear the positive feedback we gotten from guys who have played under him.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

LOL. Now that's a vision I didn't need. I do agree if he could just shutup with these stupid comments and coach I could tolerate him more. That should be the new Rockets slogan, "Just shutup JVG and win"!

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

are you going to post that **** in every single thread? give it up.
    i'm sure memphisx can give you the link to a grizzlies fan page...

13. german rocketfan

der kandidat hat 100 punkte :) naja, ist ja ein bisschen ruhiger geworden in dem thread... time to change this. ich komme zurück :D

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He can celebrate too. They'll make that a stat eventually. It will have a negative impact on your Roland rating. Gay will lead the NBA in celebrations over simple plays that you are supposed to make.