1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns and Rockets Offer Contract to John Lucas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dandorotik, Jul 16, 2006.

1. docgundy

docgundy Member

NO JVG has had crap wherever he's been. He's never had the luxury of going 9 men deep. He'll finally have that this season.

2. einstein

einstein Member

sprewell, camby, houston, yao, francis, (yes mobley is good), mcgrady.
    let's not forget that D'Antoni had a lot of injured players last year as well.

MAYBE just MAYBE if van gundy played some younger players we could win more games.

3. parlaynhustle

parlaynhustle Contributing Member

jvg already said he will play anyone no matter how young they are just as long as they earn those minutes or outplay someone else

4. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I seem to remember the Rockets missing a lot of open looks last year. To me that says the plays were working. Problem was the shooters, not the shots.

5. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Could you check Suns's record with Steve Nash out of line up for the last two years? Yes, just Nash alone out of line up.

6. Panda

Panda Member

How about the Rocket's record without T-Mac?

7. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

In one word, bad. But that's exactly my point about SUNs. Einstein argues that SUNs also suffered some injuries last year. I just wanted to point out that the reason SUNs did well were that Nash did not suffer extended injury.

BTW, this is way off topic of this thread. Anyone knows what's the status of JL3??? Thanks...

8. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

With Banks agreeing to terms with them it looks like JL3 will probably stay with us which I think is great news. Hopefully V-span will accept our offer so we can shore up the PG rotation. That would leave to roster spots for another SG/SF and possibly a third string C.

The team JVG took to the finals Camby, Larry Johnson (with a bad back), Spree, Ward, Childs, Houston, Kurt Thomas?, anyway your not blowing anyone away with talent there. But it was a different landscape then, however anyone who says that we sucked last season because Van Gundy was holding the reins on the offense is just flat wrong. Our roster sucked when the injuries came around and on most nights it wouldn't have mattered if we took a hundred shots or eighty we just couldn't hang with good teams, much less the great teams in the Western Conference.

9. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

What was the Rockets record without Pocket Rocket III?

Sign the man.

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

bring on malick badiane

11. einstein

einstein Member

Yes, they didnt have the extent of injuries that we did. HOWEVER, someone is responisble for having a team that consists of only T-Mac and Yao. Obviously it's a major issue b/c we could barely win any games. Also, I'm not judging van gundy on just last year. (although i think another coach couldve got more wins or wouldve been smart enough to play the right players to tank the season and get a high draft pick) van gundy had 1 good season with the Knicks and the rest of his career was mediocre (including his current stint with the Rockets).

I DON'T LIKE VAN GUNDY NOR DO I THINK HE IS A CHAMPIONSHIP COACH... JEFF VAN GUNDY (STAN IS ACTUALLY A GOOD COACH AND WOULD HAVE A CHAMPIONSHIP IF PAT RILEY HADN'T RAPED HIM OF HIS CHANCE)
    BRING IN MARIO ELIE or ANYONE ELSE.

D'Antoni is STILL a BETTER COACH than Jeff Van Gundy.
    I could've won more games with Yao Ming on my roster than JVG did.

--and I'm not saying he has faulty plays or doesn't know the game. I am merely saying that he doesn't know how to utilize what he has properly.

If Iverson was on our team and missed practice would anyone in their right mind bench him??? JVG would. Rudy wouldn't have and Rudy has 2 rings.

and others may argue that once we have all the JVG parts we will win the championship... that's B@*$hit in so many ways:
    We MAY win a championship under JVG b/c of Yao and T-Mac's abilities but how can anyone enjoy watching 2 phenomenal players stifled under the JVG system?
    Can anyone honestly tell me that there isn't a coach who could win the championship for us and at the same time showcase the talents of Yao and McGrady?
    I don't want to be the New York Knicks of the past or present and we are becoming the New York Knicks of the past. We may make it to the Finals but that's about as far as we will go (under JVG's tutelage (unless Yao and T-Mac find a way outside of his system(which I will attribute to Yao and T-Mac's greatness NOT JVG's)))

Thank you for your time.

12. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I wonder what the word is on him now. I thought he'd have great potential as a rebounder and shotblocker.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Two notes:

1. That first quote is something that always surprises me. I mean, I'm no big JVG fan, but, seriously, if any of you guys on here think you could out coach or out GM someone who is in the NBA, you need to put down whatever pipe you are smoking and back away slowly. Just because you think you have mad skillz at NBA Live 2005, kick your fantasy league's ass every year and have seen Hoosiers 10 times no more makes you a potentially great coach or GM in the pros than watching Emeril nightly makes you a great chef or reading a Time Life series book on household do-it-yourself projects makes you an architect.

2. Regarding winning a championship, NO ONE around here complained that I recall when the Rockets won their first title under the banner of Uglyball, so I seriously doubt anyone would complain if we got another one with a style of play that wasn't pretty. Detroit, San Antonio and, frankly, even Miami have proven that winning ugly is a helluva lot more fun than losing pretty. Ask Dallas, Phoenix and others.

Just my $.02.

14. einstein

einstein Member

1. that's why Jerry Colangelo went to Phoenix with 300 bucks in his pocket and became prolly the greatest GM of our time. right???

2. Winning with ugly ball isnt a problem for me. but winning with ugly ball b/c you FORCE someone like Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Hakeem Olajuwon to play ugly ball is a BIG PROBLEM w/ me.

---winning is winning but why force beethoven to play chopsticks his whole career?