1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Rudy Gay AND Stro Swift for Shane Battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Possum, Jun 28, 2006.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I hope you are right on adding Mike James. But if we do not use the MLE on him, it is going to take a very creative trade. And if we do use the MLE on Mike James, where o where are we going to get a power forward because we need one in the worst way. Lil' Chuckie is the best PF on this roster and it isn't even close. And in Yao, Deke, and Juwan we have the slowest big man rotation to ever lace 'em up. We need a bigger, taller, rangier PF with quick feet, otherwise Yao is just going to get bombarded by penetrators. Juwan CANNOT play help defense and he CANNOT defend his man one on one. He is a huge negative, just terrible on the floor with Yao. We have got to get another option that is going to play at least 20 mpg with Yao. Chuckie gets 10-15, and hopefully, Juwan gets junk minutes.

2. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

the trade can be finalized until july 1st because of Battier salary reset. check espn.

3. UTweezer

chris wilcox is needed here.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I think so too.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Unfortunately, your optimisim is misguided. In my HOP, it is not listed, nor talked about on NBA.com because, due to Battier's BYC status, it can't even be mentioned until sometime in July.

Believe me, I wish the deal would fall apart, not because I don't think Battier is good for our team, but because we should have at least got thier 1st round pick too. We got screwed.

6. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

This really reminds of the Mario Williams deal. shock at first but then you realize it is probably for the best.Battier will work well but I want more. We gave up Gay, but we didn't get enough in return. If it was swift and gay for tmac's boy Mike Miller, then this would be a better deal.

7. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Does anyone know what the financial difference is between Swift's and Battier's contracts?

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Sure, I'd love to have him. But how realistic is getting him? 1 chance, none. Because slim already left town. There is no way that Wilcox signs for the MLE. And if he did, then how are we going to get our bench scoring in the form of Mike James. We're still a player short. And if Seattle is looking to cut cost, why would they sign Wilcox and then trade him to us for junk???

There is just no way to get him. He should get a contract for somewhere around $6 million to $9 million per. There is no way to get him.

9. osa420

osa420 Contributing Member

so who's gonna rebound? the rockets haven't had a good rebounder since barkley was wearing the ugly clown uniforms.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

what? did i miss the press conference?

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Rodman

12. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

There's nothing Swift about Gay, Gay has a great jumper, Swift doesn't. Gay's questionable for the #1 pick, not 8th.

13. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

Looking at wilcox's numbers, he is a 15 and 8 guy, 6'10'', athletic. Good fit. can we make this happen money wise, while still adding james or bonzi?

James/Alston/Head
    McGrady/Bogans/ Head
    Battier/Bogans/Bowen
    Wilcox/Hayes/Novak
    Yao/Wilcox/Mutombo

Can we just take the michael finley rule and cut Juwan?

14. UTweezer

or take a team trip to madagascar and "leave" him there.

yea Wilcox is a good fit, rebounds well/blocks shots and is a presence. I hope we can make some kind of effort signing him

15. osa420

osa420 Contributing Member

16. teknokid

teknokid Member

CD is must be thinking that we need to win now or never. Tmac's bad back will limit his career and I don't think his level of playing basketball would be where it is now in 3 - 4 years. Battier is a proven veteran with good work ethic. Most of Duke players are known to be unselffish players with high basketball IQ. His ability to guard 2 & 3 position can only help Tmac. Adding Shane Battier can only help this organization.

I guess Rockets are not interested in developing a raw talent as this point.

17. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

Could Tyson Chandler be available with Tyrus Thomas now in chicago. we may be able to get him without giving up much. He is an excellent rebounder,he's big, young and athletic, block shots a little.

18. Astockmarketgod

I hope there is more to the deal... looks to me like the Rox got taken...

cant say it comes as a surprise as...

you voted president Bush is for a second term...

and then passed on Bush for the NFL draft

maybe drinking too much moonshine down there in Texas...

makes me not want to watch another pathetic season of the Rockets...

as a Yao Ming fan foremost... I cant help but to think o why did he have to MAX out his contract!!!!!

19. TracyMcCrazyeye

didn't CD tell fox news that the rockets like to take risks? choosing rudy gay may have not been much of a risk move considering who was left in the draft, but if you don't take a risk on one of the top college players on your team, then you're going NOWHERE. instead, the rockets chickened out and chose a more "stable" player (whatever the hell that means).

20. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

They don't have time to develop raw talent, they may not have time. When healthy this was a 47 to 50 win team as is. We were missing Tamc Yao and Rafer for the majority of the season. we were 21-10 with 111 healthy. add mike james and shane battier to the lineup and we have improved at the 1, 2 and 3. The PF is a huge problem though, if we can sove that this whole thing could turn out very well.