1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Trade Fails and Roy Is Gone, Should We Trade Down?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets111, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

If we are unable to do a trade to move up, and most of the prospects that we like (Roy, Gaye, maybe Foye) are gone by #8, should we be in discussions with New Orleans for their 13th and 16th picks? Maybe Head and our #8 for the 13, 16 and JR Smith? That was we're pretty much guaranteed at least 3 players (including our #32) who could contribute this year.

I think if Roy is unavailable, then we should do that deal and draft, say, Marcus Williams and Rodney Carney, while picking up Novak or Gansey with the 32nd.

2. arjun

arjun Member

if we can get 2 picks for 1 somehow i wud do it, add more depth, imagine if somehow with the 2 picks 13 n 16 we pull off foye and brewer...not happening.....but still, if we dont have a chance at any1 of the top 6, i wud say trade down

3. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I don't think that picks 13 and 16 will be guaranteed to contribute this year. There's too much uncertainty about all of the guys in this range. I don't even think picks 1-13 will be guaranteed to contribute this year.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would rather stay at #8 and pick Ronnie Brewer and then try to pick up Gansey/Novak at #32 or trade up into the back end of the 1st round for someone else that can be a rotational player.

I think Morey has a plan. Just look at his quote in Clutch's recent article
    I think Morey has his sights set on either Roy/Gay in terms of moving up, but if that doesnt happen I think he is confident with their choice at #8, which I am hoping is Ronnie Brewer.

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

That's exactly my hope as well.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think NO has #12 and #15. It is somewhat tempting to move down, but it is a calculated risk. I'd have to do some research before pulling the trigger on that.

7. rocketsinsider

if that happens how about #8+head for #13+#15+JR Smith

8. rocketsinsider

wait or is it the 12th pick?

9. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

It's #12.

I've said it many times. This is what I would try to get done. Whether its possible or not, I don't know. This team has a lot of wholes and almost no depth. If we could turn this one pick into a couple of early mid-first rounders and pick up a guy like JR Smith, it would do wonders for the team. I think they would be interested in Swift or Head if they were required to get this done.

10. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

You the same rocketinsider from fanhome?

11. Driven

Driven Member

If Bucher is right that Morrison will be taken 3rd overall, and Katz is right with Williams taken 5th overall, I'd stick with the 8th pick because of the talent that would be available. We're in a prime position; I don't know if we can pick a bad player with guys like Foye, Carney, Gay, and Williams possibly available.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This team doesnt need "depth" as much as it needs "starters." Stay at #8 and get a starter. Depth takes care of itself by moving some of our starters to the bench where they can be more effective. We only need a decent 8-9 man rotation. Case in point

Starters: Mike James, Brewer, Tmac, Howard, Yao
    Bench: Alston, Head, Bogans, Swift, Hayes, #32 pick, Mutombo

See, by adding a starter like Brewer and Mike James via the MLE, you push Alston and Bogans to the bench (with Head and Swift) which in effect gives the bench some decent players. We dont need a bunch of middle 1st round picks to add depth as much as we need to hit a home run on the #8 pick as a STARTER.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Stick with the 8th and the 32nd pick. I don't think we will be able to get Brewer with the 12th.Foye and Carney might be gone by then too leaving us with few choices at the 2 guard spot.

14. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Do you really think that Brewer has a better shot at being a starter than JR Smith, Redick OR Carney? Brewer might even be there at #12. Instead of putting our eggs in one basket, we would just need one of the 3 guys to step up and be a starter. We could also address the backup point or 4 spot.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I'd stick with number 8 and draft Carney.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Trading down in a draft isn't the way to get more depth (unless you're still getting picks in, say, the first half of the lottery). Rockets can't screw this up. Pick 8th, and pick Brewer. Because of his versatility (he can back up both PG and SF), that addresses multiple holes at once.

17. rocketsinsider

which forum r u talking about?

18. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Trade down. Or trade up from 32 if possible.