1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need Help with MS Word

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BMC, Jun 27, 2006.

1. BMC

BMC Member

I am trying to print something on a 4 x 6 index card and am having trouble. They are actually birth announcements for newborn daughter that are the size of of a 4 x 6 index card. The height of the birth announcement is 6 inches and the width is 4 inches. I attempt to do the following:

1. File --> Page Setup --> Paper Tab --> Select Index Card (4 x 6).
    2. I type in the desired text and load an index card (practicing on the index card prior to messing up these expensive birth announcements) in the envelope loader of my printer. But when I try to print my printer always says wrong paper size.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated as my wife has given me a deadline to figure this out or I get to pay some print shop $75 to complete the job.

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

A couple ideas,

When you print, the printer assumes a default papertray. If you are printing off the envelope paper tray...which I presume is a different tray than normal, at the time of printing you may need to specifically select the envelope tray or it'll try to pull off the default 8.5x11 sheets. Since you previously selected 4x6 sheets, it knows you have the wrong papersize.

Another thought is you need to account for margins. You can't have fonts all the way from one side of the index card to the other. You'll need a one inch margins on either side. Besure your margins are set correctly.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Holy lurker, Batman.

basically what kros said.

4. BMC

BMC Member

Yes Yes I am a lurker. Thanks for the help. What you suggested helped. Even though I was setting my page size, when I went to print I was not selecting the correct printer size. Good thing nobody knows I am in the software industry.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I wonder what company you work for????? ;)

6. BMC

BMC Member

Hmmm...I guess it might be obvious. I only work with MS Word when creating Deployment Summary documentation and I grind my teeth everytime. Thanks again...back to work!