1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case against Redick with our First Pick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by anitasri, Jun 1, 2006.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

People act like if we draft Redick that there is no way that we can get another player to play perimeter defense. We can still get help on the perimeter if we have J.J. on this team. Our problem last year was we had NOTHING defensively at the 2. We had Wesley who is a good defender but he was used when bigger guards posted him up. Still, all in all, he was hurt most of the season, which meant we were running pieces parts out there most of the time with both him and McGrady out of the lineup. We were running out Rafer, Luther, and Bogans at the 1,2, and 3 for the most part and then bringing in Brunson, Frahm, and Bowen to back them up.

We had short inexperienced defenders at all 3 spots. And their backups were short, slow, and nonathletic. If we bring back Bogans and McGrady is healthy, Bogans is going to look totally different coming off the bench or playing the 2 guard next to McGrady. And if we don't bring Brunson back (I hope not) and give Head backup PG minutes, then bring in a player like Fowlkes as a backup for league minimum and draft somebody like J.J., we look a whole lot better.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

and JJ can slide over guard the "short" 3? Point is that if TMac slides JJ is warming the pines.

3. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

So, only about 40 teams made the mistake of passing on Hornacek that year. I'd like to see Redick wearing Rockets red next year. Even at the 8 spot.

Unlike a few here. I don't think he's going to be doing much creating his own shots in the NBA. But, he sure looks like the guy to have the ball dumped off to when they're double teaming Yao and T-Mac. He also has better elevation on his shot than I'd previously realized.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I would say Wesley and Barry were solid shooters. I see the value of spreading the floor and I think it is important, but there are players available in the draft and through FA that can spread the floor and do other things we need as well.

5. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I wasn't aware there were that many teams in the NBA back then

6. grednotto

grednotto Member

In 2002 the best shooting guard in the country went 17th, Juan Dixion. Even though his play on the court would suggest he would be a top 5 pick.

Strengths: Savvy offguard with great shooting stroke and very good quickness. Understands the game well. Great competitor, the best shooting guard in college basketball, however not the best prospect due to his size. Four years of experience.

Weaknesses: Small and has no point guard skills. Lack of size and strength will hurt him the most defensively. Doesn't have the freakish athleticism that would allow him to oversome the size deficiencies like Iverson or Steve Francis.

sounds a lot like JJ and I wouldn't want dixion starting for our squad. I don't understand how people can want to draft a career bench player with the no. 8 pick. Just because you were a great college player doesn't mean it will translate to the NBA especially when you lack size.

7. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Juan Dixon is not the player that JJ is... JJ is a better shooter, scorer (27pts vs 18pts) and college player of the year. Despite both being undersized, JJ is 6'4 and 190lbs, where as Dixon was measured at only 6'3 and 152lbs (Maryland). There was no way that Dixon's play on the court that year justified a top 5 pick especially with the 2002 draft (with Yao, Jay William, Amare) easily regarded as better than the 2006 one at the time.

-G'day-

8. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Word out of Orlando is that they'd like to move up to our spot. Why not trade #8 for #11 and the rights to Fran Vazquez, then draft Redick at 11?

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Please no Fran Vasquez... that guy is a SISSY. (Word of Orlando fans)

10. grednotto

grednotto Member

that 27 points vs 18 pts doesn't mean anything. JJ was the only offense for Duke. That maryland squad was more talented resulting in juan Dixion not having to carry the load. put dixion in jj place at duke and you'll see the same thing as far as scoring goes.

11. Rockets Dynasty

Dixon is 6-3 in shoes 165 area in weight

Redick is 6-4 in shoes 200 area in weight

Dixon is not able to start at SG because he is Rafer Alston type size, Redick is significantly bigger than Luther Head, who is also signficantly bigger than Dixon.

Not exactly a strong srgument there.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You are right about Wesley and Barry, but I believe that Redick is a better shooter than both. All those highlights I've seen are of him hitting shots with a guy in his face. Yao/Tracy being the number 1/2 options means that you won't see our draft pick having to shoot with a man in his face. Redick would be a solid weapon in open shot situation. Brewer and a few of these versitile guys won't be as valuable in an open 3 situation.

Taking a non-shooter is a mistake and Brewer (I assume this is who you are talking about) is a non-shooter. The only swing guys that are going to spread the floor are Redick, Carney, Morrison and Roy. If you can't get any of those guys, you have to go big. That's great that Brewer does a little of everything, but guys like that aren't worth that much around Yao/Tracy. You have to have the weapon of a long range shot to free up Yao to post up, Tracy to drive and for that player to get inside at all. If we draft a guy that can't shoot from long range, teams will sag and we'll run into similar offensive problems.

JVG is a defensive coach. He makes defenders better. He doesn't make offensive players better. So, draft an offensive guy and teach him defense. If we lose JVG, that's another thing, but as long as he is here we need to draft offensively.

My picks for swing guys: Roy, Morrison, Redick or Carney (all good swing options that hit long range at decent rates)

So Brewer, Foye, Ager are bad options in my limited opinion (I haven't really seen any tape on these guys).

Big guys and PGs are a different formula. Also, I don't think we should draft for needs. I think we have to take the best player available even if it's a C or SF. Free agency/trade is for needs.

If we change to a motion offense or something else I don't really understand, then my opinion is null. But if we try to put together a post around Yao and kick out team, we need shooters.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

My problem with this is that players can improve 3-pt shooting, Shawn Marion, Jason Richardson, Richard Jefferson, and Josh Howard are good example. Yes, JVG can make defenders better, but they can't make them taller or rebound better.

You don't think we should draft for need but you just wrote that we should basically draft Redick because he is a shooter and that we need that. :confused:

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

All those guys you listed took time to develope their shot. I want a guy who is the best nba ready guy available. Need and best available are one in the same to me in this case. If a guy needs to develope his shot but is an excellent athlete (at the swing), then I don't think he's the best available. If there is a PF, PG or C available that we think is better than anyone else, I would draft him instead of a shooter. Basically, I think a swing that can't shoot is a wasted pick because there are other shooters available.

Clear as mud?