1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case against Redick with our First Pick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by anitasri, Jun 1, 2006.

1. dream2franchise

I'd hope for Carney and Williams at the 12 and 15, think we'd have a shot?

2. munco

munco Member

Why are we even discussing this guy at #8?
    He seems to be a lock to be a mid to late first round pick.

Also, everyone keeps saying that 6'4" is fine for a shooting guard. That's true when that 6'4" guy is athletic or fairly athletic. JJ is below average in terms of athleticism at the NBA level. To be 6'4" as a shooting guard in the NBA you need to be athletic or incredibly crafty (see Jeff Hornacek).

I'm hoping Marcus Williams or Rudy Gay slip a few notches to us at #8.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I'm not that high on Sheldon (The way the league is evolving, Robert Horry types will be a lot more valuable than Otis Thorpe types). And Carney looks like he'll head to Orlando at 11.

At 12 and 15, I could see us going for Brewer (at 12) and Ager/Redick (depending on who Utah doesn't take at 14).

Of course the trick would be to get the 12 and 15 for our 8. If Tyrus Thomas falls to 8, I could totally see the Hornets trading up. Thomas is a young big that they need, and there's the Louisiana connection if they move back to NOLA.

4. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Agree, the Rox need to make a decision on Stro this off-season, he will never be a starting PF and are the Rox happy to keep him as a backup PF and center. If we could get NO 12 pick and players for Stro, using one of the picks to get JJ would be interesting.

5. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

We need to get deeper as a team, thus I would most likely trade our 8th pick for NO's 12th and 15th if given a choice.

-G'day-

6. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Who cares about what JVG says? He is a perfect soccer coach instead of a basketball coach anyway.

7. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

:)

Well said

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Some questions regarding Redick:

If left alone at the 3 will he make teams pay?

If he is out on the arc will other teams be forced to keep a defender on him?

If he is guarded is he smart enough to pass the ball to Yao, TMac or JWan?

If his man leaves him to double Yao in the post and Yao kicks the ball back out is his trigger quick enough to get shots off before his defender recovers?

I think the answer is yes to all of these questions.

Redick would be a third option at best and maybe a 4th but his accuracy from outside would certainly give Yao some more room to operate in the paint. How many times did we see teams sag off of our perimeter shooters to double down on Yao? How many times did we see Yao pass the ball out to players like Bogans just to watch it clank off of the iron or watch a wide open shooter with out enough confidence to take a wide open shot.

I'm not saying Redick will be the best choice when the Rockets draft but no one else in the draft has one skill that is as much a sure thing as Redick's shooting ability. I think for some posters to just blow him off as not athletic enough or too short is being very short sighted.

Count me in as someone that would hate to watch him dropping bombs on us while wearing a Phoenix or Dallas uniform

9. underoverup

underoverup Member

i dont see the problem with reddick, he shoots really well and he plays sg which will let tracy stay at small forward. and 6' 4" isn't too small for a sg, but he probably isn't 6' 4" more like 6' 1" or 2"..............

10. anitasri

anitasri Member

Just read your message and see how many IF's you have added before each sentence! Why that many IF's if you are so sure of what he can do?

You will have to assume that Pops and AJ will be senile next season and basically allow Redick to do whatever he wants to do.

And to the counterpoint.

Can Redick Guard Josh Howard or Manu Ginobili- just to name two match ups of the many that we will face. This is not about height, or IQ or Motivation- you have to have an athletic body and the long arms to go with all the other stuff.

You can definitely make a case for Shooters- but I dont see how redick is the automatic Answer at #8.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who says he is not athletic?

This looks so much like a "he is a white guy and not athletic" argument to me.

The guy averaged 27ppg at the number 1 team in the country.

He is athletic ENOUGH and fits this team perfectly.

DD

12. anitasri

anitasri Member

I am not sure what this had to do with his being a white guy- if there was an equivalent "blue" guy I would have said the same thing!

Wonderful to see he got 27 PPG BUT if you are suggesting that he will repeat it on a play off team- I will gladly accept my ignorance when it happens!

There are way too many College Super Freaks- who flamed out in the NBA!

Reddick will be a role player and a defensive liability- the opinion on his athletic ability is not my personal one, that is the consensus. Against Josh Howard, Manu and Kobe ( just a few of the people he may be facing)- Redick will be schooled! And none of these guys ( besides being offensive forces) are push overs on defense.

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Who says he's not athletic? How about draftexpress? Draftexpress has their nose farther up Reddick's backside than anyone here and they won't even debate the issue.

As far as 30 ppg...it was actually 28...he dropped 45 on Texas because their game plan was to stop Williams and McRoberts...probably not the only team to do so. He dropped a lot of points on teams with players that weren't very good. That won't happen in the NBA.

Doesn't it strike you odd that the (arguably) best college coach in one of the best college programs couldn't get this slug into the Final 4 ever? Maybe...just maybe he began to experience pro like defenders like Maurice Ager and the guards for LSU?

Doesn't it open your eyes that every single player surrounding Shaq can get their own damned shot and they don't park themselves at the arc?

Doesn't anyone stop to note that Luther Head's college shooting %ages were nearly equal to Reddick's?

Doesn't anyone want to go for a decent multi-dimensional player with upside in case TMac's skills slowy erode? Or Yao tires from International competition?

Doesn't anyone want to see the Rockets become a better transition team? To hell with parking your butt at the arc...run. You surely will when you have to defend the Suns, Mavs and Spurs in transition.

Doesn't anybody stop to think that a lineup of Alston, Reddick, TMac, Howard and Yao will be among the slowest in the league?

DaDa --- I seldom agree with you about strategy...we don't need a zone and moving Yao to the high post solves nothing. But if we ever do move Yao up the lane, Reddick is next to worthless on backdoor plays. That's were the similarities to Ray Allen start to diminish really, really rapidly! And they continue downward exponentially. :p

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think also we can pencil in injury days for TMac and less so Yao.

OK, so who do you think the Rox should draft if not the dead eye shooter JJ?

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think Miami would die to have "Dead-Eye" Redick spotted up at the stripe, catching throw outs from Shaq. OF course they probably don't need him. And they are probably going to win the championship by default because NO ONE in the WEST finals has a post game or can even think about defending the paint.

No, Redick is not a long, athletic lock down defender. And Ron Artest is not even in the ballpark with Redick when it comes to shooting the basketball.

I don't want Redick at #8 but I would take a deal of Shelden and Redick for our #8.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Redick is a hell of a lot more John Paxon or Steve Alford than Hinrich, Hornecek, Nash etc. Those guys are very quick with superior balance and premier point guard instincts (eyes in the back of their head) on top of the shooting ability. They are white athletes that may be underrated athletically because they are white, not your JJ Redicks.

If we want shooters, get your Damon Jones and Tim Thomas's and fill out your roster. But don't use your 8th pick. The Rockets need to get a much more dynamic player than that from the mid lotto, even if the risk for an absolute bustola is higher.

I like Morrison, Roy, Marcus Williams (shoots almost as well as Redick and is nearly as tall, tougher and does lots of other things too), Gay and Foye much better as an 8 pick--far more dynamic players and none with a high bush factor. And personally I love to find a way to get Morrison even though I know it is difficult at 8. Actually shot a higher % from 3 land and the field than Redick despite having to create his own shots, I thought he was the much superior overall college player.

But as someone said if you traded down into the mid to late teens (say 12 and 15 for 8 and 31 with the Hornets), Redick looks much more reasonable there. If my guys from above (Morrison, Roy, Williams, Gay and maybe Foye) were gone at #8, trading down looks better.

17. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Doesn't anyone know how to spell R-e-d-i-c-k? :p

18. waelhakmeh

waelhakmeh Member

dadakota, i served with ray allen. i knew ray allen. ray allen was a friend of mine. dadakota, j.j. reddick is no ray allen.

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

In the end the Rockets have the final say. So I yield to the philosopher:
    Confucius Say: Team That Play With Head Deserve Redick!

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

I can see the Rockets drafting Redick but I'd be worried about how it would effect Yao. Anderson was the only guy who showed he had the ability to get to the basket for the Rockets but Yao got into foul trouble in those games.

Head's 3pt% and attempts in his last year of college ball are comparable to Redick's numbers. Drafting Redick would be like drafting Head all over again except without the point skills and defense. In college Redick is proven as a consistent 3pt shooter, in the NBA Head has proven that he can make the clutch 3pt shot.