1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The rarest, one of a kind bear on earth shot dead...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, May 10, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Phi83

Phi83 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

That Bear is going to look great stuffed in a menacing bear pose. Maybe they can get it stuff in a nature pose like eating a baby seal or drinking water. :cool:

2. Phi83

Phi83 Contributing Member

Liberal hunting look more fun!

[​IMG]

#62 Phi83, May 11, 2006
    Last edited: May 11, 2006
  3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

looks like natural selection voted against it.

as for people who say "go hunt them with a spear" or go hand to hand, what would be the point of going through all the trouble to evolve our huge brains and opposable thumbs that allow us to make things like guns to kill things bigger and stronger than us if we're not going to use it? that's like saying the bear should lose it's claws and teeth and drop a couple hundred pounds and then face us one on one.

i don't even hunt b/c i don't really wanna kill animals for fun, but for people who do, killing a huge ass bear would probably be something to be proud of.

#63 francis 4 prez, May 11, 2006
    Last edited: May 11, 2006
  4. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

That bear isn't real, its a fake bear. It can't be real, its an illusion and those hunters are magicians. I mean, look at how the bear is sitting in the snow, the way the camera is angled, its clearly winnie the pooh. Stuff like this doesn't happen.

:rolleyes:

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Geez, get over it some people just don't believe in certain things.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I guess it depends on your mentality, but killing what might possibly be the only wild Polar/Griz hybrid on the entire planet might be quite a burden to carry for the rest of your life.

7. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I'm ok with trophy hunting.

But only allow'm to hunt with a knife.

Methinks that bear would be alive today.

8. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

So if a murderer shows up at your door with a gun....

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

really? is this hybrid some holy grail of animal combos? i mean it's interesting and cool, but is it any great loss? if it was something that had the cure for cancer or aids in it's genes, i wouldn't feel one way or the other. no one even knew it existed, how much could it be missed.

like i said, i don't hunt, i don't wanna shoot a deer b/c i would feel bad about killing it, but for others who don't have that problem i'm not gonna say they're wrong for it.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

North Carolina.

Please tell me that they saw a Teddy Bear rather than a Black Bear... :D

11. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

If they didn't kill those bears before long the whole country would be swarming with them.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yes, think of the children...

Hunting would be much cooler if you ritualistically ate the heart of the animal you killed. Guns and tools would seem to detach the hunter from the experience and seem to give that hunter an image of a cowardly pansy who has power issues.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A bit more on the story from CNN...
    _______

Kuptana, a guide from Sachs Harbour in the Northwest Territories, was tracking with Idaho big-game hunter Jim Martell, who had paid C$50,000 (US$45,500, or euro35,800), for a license to hunt polar bears.

The DNA results were good news for the 65-year-old hunter, who could have been fined or jailed for up to a year for shooting a grizzly. The Northwest Territories Environment and Natural Resources Department now intends to return the bear to Martell.

"It will be quite a trophy," Martell told the National Post newspaper last week, before the DNA results were in. He is now in Yellowknife for another hunt, this time with a permit to shoot a grizzly bear. Martell told the newspaper he has dubbed the hybrid creature a "polargrizz."

Stirling said others in his office have been tossing around in jest possible names for the hybrid: a "pizzly" or a "grolar bear." One colleague said they ought to call it "nanulak," combining the Inuit names for polar bear -- "nanuk" -- and grizzly bear, which is "aklak."

"He has a remarkable trophy from his perspective and from the perspective of this whole fraternity of people who like to go big-game hunting for trophies," said Stirling. When asked how he felt about the rare beast being killed, he said that Canada's polar bear hunt -- which runs from December through the end of May -- is done on a sustainable basis.

Colin Adjun, a wildlife officer in Kugluktuk on the northern mainland in western Nunavut, said he has heard stories before about an oddly colored bear cavorting with polars.

"It was a light chocolate color along with a couple of polar bears," Adjun said. Though people have talked about the possibility of a mix, "it hasn't happened in our area," he said.

Three years ago, a research team spotted a grizzly on uninhabited Melville Island, about 350 kilometers (220 miles) north of where Martell bagged his crossbreed.

Polar bear and grizzly territory also overlap in the Western Arctic around the Beaufort Sea, where the occasional grizzly is known to head onto the sea ice looking for food after emerging from hibernation. Some grizzly bears make it over the ice all the way to Banks Island and Victoria Island, where they have been spotted and shot before.

That might explain how a grizzly got to the region, but few can explain how it managed to get along with a polar bear mate long enough to produce offspring.

David Paetkau, a geneticist with Wildlife Genetics, said the hybrid bear could be an anomaly, but also a red flag that the bears are in danger.

Grizzlies are threatened; while polar bears are not considered endangered in Canada, scientists worry melting ice caps in the Arctic could soon have a detrimental impact. If they continue to mate, it would water down the breeds.

According to the National Wildlife Federation, there are about 1,200 grizzlies in the lower 48 United States, roughly 31,700 in Alaska, and 25,000 in Canada.

Stirling said there are about 24,000 polar bears in Canada, Greenland, Russia and Alaska.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/05/11/canada.hybrid.ap/index.html

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Hell, I'll say it. Spending $45,000 to go shoot a bear is about as sinful as it gets.

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Not really natural for an unprovoked animal to kill another and then display the carcass in it's den.

16. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

On another forum I visit, some guys want to know which Glock is best to stop a bear. The best advice is to unload the mag on the bear, except for the last round, which will be used to shoot your hunting buddy in the leg. :D

BTW RR, thanks for the advice on the Glock. My 22 will be my house gun and I'm picking up a 27 today for CCW. I'm loving Federal HST's. I just can't decide between 165 and 180 gr.

17. famicom

famicom Member

This bear would be great for Britney's next child labor.

18. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Deb What are you drawing?
    Napoleon Dynamite A liger.
    Deb What's a liger?
    Napoleon Dynamite It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Great choice on the gun and the ammo!,...I would slightly favor the 165 grain for it's better energy deposit. The 180 grain is a close second in my view....

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You don't by any chance get together with ONE buddy every month just "Once in a while", do you? :eek: Not that there's anything wrong with that.