1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Trade 2nd round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketTiger, May 4, 2006.

Tags:
  1. RocketTiger

RocketTiger Contributing Member

Yall think its possible to move up a few spots to the 5th spot if we traded our 1st pick in the second round and our 8th pick. That would just about assure us Roy.

2. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Toronto will take Roy, and would be fools to pass on him.

3. compucomp

compucomp Member

You never know. They did take Rafael Araujo with the 8th pick 2 years ago. Of course, that wasn't with Colangelo as their GM, so I wouldn't count on them to make a mistake like that again.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Don't you think Toronto needs a 5 man more? I think Thomas/Bosh could be a good front court. Or if they piss him (Bosh) off by not resigning Mike James, Thomas/Villanueva would be fine too (though obviously not as good). Aldridge would not be a good fit w/either Bosh or Charlie though.

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

i doubt any team would do that, especially since most claim this draft to be weak. the 2nd round pick doesnt hold as much value.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Actually, most say this draft is weak at the top (i.e. after the first 3 picks or so...and esp. after the first 6 or 7ish). But overall, it has very good depth, and people will be getting value out of their 2nd rnd picks this year.

I still don't think we could find a trading partner for that, but don't discount the value of that pick this year..

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

i dunno, maybe your right, but some of the players in the projected drafts are compared to reece gaines, chris wilcox, and Jason Maxiell ????

8. RocketTiger

I'd take a Wilcox in the 2nd round this year. :D

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

But Colangelo is the GM who practically gave away a #7 draft pick (which turned out to be Luol Deng), in order to open up cap space.

I wonder if he'd go for the #5 and Araujo (whose contract we can take on with our TE) for our 2nd rounder and a future 1st. It frees up money for them to make a run at Nene, and re-sign Mike James.

With the #5 and #8, we could land some combination of Roy/Gay and Sheldon Williams/Marcus Williams. Or maybe if one of the big guys slip, Thomas/Aldridge/Bargnani and Carney/Marcus Williams/Brewer/Foye.

Of course we really need to wait until after the lottery before speculating like this. If Toronto lands a top 3 pick, then we probably don't have enough juice to pull off a trade like this. But if they slip a spot or two from 5, then it might be easier.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

This draft may not have a lot of potential stars, but its got quality depth. The rockets will get a good player that can contribute in the second round. What would you think of drafting say a Sheldon Williams or a Rudy Gay at #8 then drafting a Mike Gansey or a Maurice Ager #32.

11. RocketTiger

I think Ager would be a steal in the second round. I think if we dont think we can get V-Span in the offseason then the Rox might consider Dee Brown in the second round, I think Ager might be the most underated in the draft, with what he did against Morrison at the beginning of last year but Morrison tore him up as well. I just think if we could somehow move into the top three and get Aldridge would be ideal, and then get Harpring in the offseason. Aldridge would be a perfect compliment cus he has great midrange.
    Alston,V-Span
    T-mac,Head
    Harpring,Bogans
    Aldridge,Swift,Howard
    Yao,Mutumbo,Swift

Thats a sweet lineup

12. langal

langal Contributing Member

are second round picks basically an invite to camp?

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Colangelo has said he wants to go international, when appropriate. The #1 + #2 will move you up if the trading partner expects the guy they want to slip to the (putative) #8 slot.

The #2 is very valuable for someone who wants a 'future', someone to 'stash' overseas for a while (ala V-Span).

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

2nd round picks are pretty worthless because it's unlikely the player will even make your team. This draft is no different. Every now and then you find a good one but it's unlikely. Any GM accepting a 2nd round pick in order to trade down in the lottery is just plain stupid! Dream on.

15. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well let's look at it from the other side. Would you trade our number 8 for the number 11 plus the first pick in the second round?

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

What a bunch of nonsense. Second round picks have very little value. 90+% of second round guys never contribute. A few years ago, the Rockets basically moved up from 13 to 7 to get Eddie Griffin. That cost them 2 first round picks (18 and 23). No possible way a second round pick moves you anywhere in the first round. This isn't the NFL draft. And if it was, 2nd round NBA picks would be equivalent to 5th round and lower NFL picks.

17. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

no, he wanted to switch picks with them the following year, the year that they won 50 games. When they did that, they thought that the bulls were going to continue being bad.

18. Since75

Since75 Member

How about moving down with New Orleans giving them the 2nd rd and Rox get 12 and 15. Pick up Roby and possibly Foye if he's still there

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think we would be better off with just the #8.

20. Den

Den Member

I don't necessarily think we need to give up BOTH picks for an athletic swingman...there will still be options at the 8th spot, plus we need that 2nd rounder to address other needs such as an outside shooting big or a PG...