1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Fox 26) Texans reached verbal agreement w/ Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by candlegreen, Apr 28, 2006.

?

What is your reaction?

1. BIG Mistake to pass up on Bush!!

143 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Split feeling

51 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Mario William is the right choice

52 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Should have traded down if we were not going to draft Bush

95 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

so you might say he was the christian laettner of college football?

2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

The front page of ESPN earlier mentioned that we were taking Sam Bowie, but I guess they thought better of it and took it off.

3. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

You're killing me Shady! 2 for 2 :D

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Here's something...

How many people do you think won't go to the draft party tomorrow over this? :)

I've actually heard some callers on radio saying they've officially become Dallas Cowboy fans. i didn't think that was possible. :eek:

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Are you freakin' kidding me...This is f*ckin' ridiculous...I know Mario is a talent but c'mon, he's not going to sell tickets...Is this a done deal...Why wouldn't anyone want to trade up for Bush...

What about the news on the Bush front regarding the lawsuit and acusations that Bush knew after telling the Texans he didn't...Doesn't that play into it...

6. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

here's my take on the texans decision. if you are not going to take reggie bush......TRADE THE DAMN PICK!!!! i don't care how good mario williams is, and for the texans sake i hope he does great, but the texans are LOSING the value of having the number one pick. there are going to be some teams (probably New Orleans) who are going to make out like bandits in a trade for their pick.

the texans easily could have gone into tomorrow with no deal done between the two players and fielded some attractive trade offers for the top pick. when you are 2-14 it is OBVIOUS no ONE player is going to make you significantly better. trade the top pick for another top 10 pick and other picks in the first 3 rounds. they are losing the value of the pick if they indeed do not go with bush because there is going to be at least ONE team in the top 10 who will get desperate for a talent like bush and give you multiple picks and therefore you can make your 2-14 team better at a much faster rate.

7. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

8. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

EX-F*CK-ING-ACT-LY

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I find this thread pretty entertaining... then again, I didn't have my heart set on one or another type of player (IMO, the Texans still have a huge problem at O-line, but I understand that they weren't going to waste the first pick on that).

I also find it funny how people are stating that they were "ready to pledge their undying loyalty to the Texans... and now they're taking it back." Please... we're all still bandwagon fans of the Texans, and we likely were going to stay as bandwagon fans even if they drafted Bush... until they started winning consistently.

We all know they're going to eventually be a decent team... no team is bad forever... but this is nowhere near the Oilers collapse, the Astros past heartbreak, or the Rockets bad misfortune this year as far as "hurt" value... its just a decision that's going to be analyzed to death, until these guys actually get out on the field and play.

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I keep reading that nobody wanted to trade for the pick. Titans want Young, Jets want Ferguson and they would be the most likely to trade for the pick.

11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bright side? There are a lot of good running backs in this draft, maybe they wind up with White or that one dude from LSU...

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree with you but the O-Line will a lot better IMO. Pitts moves to his natural postion and Flangan is a pro bowler. Will will also draft a tackle in the first day who could compete with Wand and Wade.

13. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Did I just hear a quote from Casserly on 610 correctly?

"If Reggie wasn't in this draft then Mario was gonna be the 1st pick so it comes down to offense and defense"

Well Reggie IS in the draft Charlie and you F'ed us over 1 more time!

14. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Imagine that- they make a move to shore up instead of take the Glam.

Since I have moved to Houston, I have always said, "Houston appreciates the 'ATHLETE' more than the 'TEAM'". Not any more true than today. Go Texans.

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

This is a DECISIVE victory handed to the Jihadists!

16. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

The Texan's inability to bring any kind of pressure on the quarterback their entire existence has been a major weakness. Mario Williams is a physical freak. I guess we will see what happens.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

OK, I'm starting to calm down now.

If this guy is as good as everyone says he is, I'm fine with the pick. But he better not turn into the next Courtney Brown or Mike Mamula....

I'm willing to give him a chance before I boo him or become a cowboy fan, or put "I hate the Texans" in my sig... :rolleyes:

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow, none of those supposed HIGHLIGHTS were all that impressive, you don't see him making impact plays, or blowing anyone up, half of the plays he is just assisting on....

I mean, Derrick Johnson the year before had plays were you oooooheed and awed....these...seemed average and a bunch agains the powerhouses of Vanderbilt and N. Carolina.

I think the Texans fell into the numbers game where they love the numbers, but forget that it is sometimes about just pure football ability.

VY and Bush were better football players....and if they didnt like either they could have traded and increased their haul.

Now, they just look stupid.

DD

19. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Could there be a trade in the works? Possibly the Texans taking Williams #1 and then trading him to a team further down in return for Vince Young and other picks? That would make sense.

Taking Williams #1 and keeping him makes no sense.

20. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

I think the Texans got blindsided by the Mike Mamula syndrome.

Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com senior NFL writer: ...Scouts love all the "measurables" with Williams and keep comparing him to Julius Peppers. Heck, I know one team that thinks he might be the second coming of Richard Seymour. But when you watch him on tape, you don't see consistent production. I went back and checked yesterday on some stats. Williams played in 36 games in college, yet had sacks in just 16 of those games. Of his 25½ career sacks, 13 came in four games. In 2005, he had 14½ sacks, but had three against Wake Forest, three against Southern Miss and four against Maryland. In 2004, he had six sacks, but three of those were against Florida State.

Link:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2423861