1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daniel Gibson entering draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rikesh316, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Gibson has potential. He really should stay because he has a legitimate chance at being a lotto pick if he can get back on pace next season. I blame Barnes coaching method for his statistical decline, but if you watch the guy play he is an asset. Weak stats are not the whole story. I cant argue that he has been dissapointing but a lot of yall are suggesting he is a lost cause. Its way too early to make that assumption.

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Daniel Gibson's problem is that he's not a point guard. Or, not always. He's a great shooter, and an exceptional defender - but if he wants to play in the NBA he's going to have to stop playing like every trip down the floor is an opportunity to hoist up a 30 footer and instead look to create for his teammates. His ballhandling is mediocre, but he's a good passer when he wants to pass - he just doesn't play like a point guard a lot of the time.

3. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Dee Brown is a better version of DGibs...and many mocks have him going early 2nd round...

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

So, if he gets drafted but goes back to school, does the team that drafted him still have his rights, or does he have to play next season if he gets drafted?

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't think you have to play next season for the team that drafted you, CJ Miles still had a choice of playing for UT after Utah drafted him. But I'm not sure exactly how it works.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If he stays in he's in. He doesn't have to sign, of course. If he goes in the 2nd he'd likely be better off in Euro-ball til he's ready to contribute (with 1st round equivalent contract).

8. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

As with every college player, it's all about how much better Gibson gets after he turns pro. For the many reasons already mentioned, he will not make much of an impact as a rookie. Like most tweener guards, he will have to make his mark by being exceptional at one or two things, like shooting from outside or ball-hawking defense. Based on the games I've seen, he will never be an NBA PG. Frankly, I don't think he will make it whether he goes back to school or not.

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Daniel Gibson - 21 pts, 12-12 FT

10. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

GIG'd yall! :) Forget Gibson's stats last night. Its rare to see a rookie play without fear, with aggression and assertiveness. Gibson is showing those attributes. IN THE PLAYOFFS! Very Cassell like. Luther Head disappears in big regular season games, is reluctant to attack, lets himself become 1 dimensional. Its refreshing to see a young role player make his mark on a big game.

Novak? Sigh... Gibson would have played.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I thought about this thread last night, thought had posted in it what was pretty much the consensus opinion. looks like alot of us were wrong. this goes to show how some guys' game are made for the nba. maybe gibson didn't really have a place a texas, maybe barnes didn't use him correctly. he's obviously a good scorer. he's more of a bobby jackson type player. a shooting guard in a point's body but he is adept at playing some point. he can handle and pass but he has a mentality to score. with p.j. on that longhorn team last season maybe gibson just didn't have a role.

I've been knowing how wrong I was since early this season. the guy just looks comfortable in the nba and that's probably half the battle. he plays within the flow of the game, and doesn't look like he forces things.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Seems like only yesterday I was watching this kid thinking how bad he sucked. Couldn't shoot, turned the ball over like it was his job and overall looked thoroughly unimpressive given how much people on here hyped him up. Now he's starting to look like something special.

Good for him. Up next is getting some obscenely ridiculous contract the same way Danny Ferry overpaid Hughes, Ilgauskas, Damon Jones, Marshall and the same way he's about to overpay to retain Varejao and Pavlovic.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Barnes was the problem. That and the misconception that Gibson needed to grow into a pass 1st PG. Under the right coaching Gibson could have lit up the Big 12 I guarantee you. I can't fault Barnes for catering to Aldridge, Tucker, and their 5 (forgot his name) but college is a guards game. Gibson's strength is exemplified now since it is James that creates, Gibson can rely on penetrating and scoring. This is the same Gibson that was dropping 50 in HS against Houston's best.

15. MONON

MONON Member

At Texas, he was counted on to help drive the team while the Cavs want him to give them a helping hand. The pressure is less. Besides that picture of Lebron telling Gibson he can do it says it all!

16. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

one good game and all of the sudden he's da best! naiveness!

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can we blame jvg for not drafting him too?

18. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Damn you are so special and JVG is a great coach

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Cavs are probably the best place he could have landed on. They have LeBron handling the ball pressure, and Larry Hughes is also a pseudo-PG with size.

Bobby Jackson is probably a decent comparison, though I don't think he's even that kind of ball handler.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He could have had a bad game and I would still be praising him. Its the fearless way he plays that makes him so special. Rookies typically don't have those kind of balls.