1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] P.J. Tucker also declaring sans agent

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Francis3422, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Just saw this on the ticker. I am watching the draft special. They had a good interview with Reggie. I dont know too much about Tucker but I have heard his name alot.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Tucker has a better shot than Gibson (right now), but both would be very well-served to return for a year..

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

These guys should stay. With a good showing next season, they could be sure fire 1st Rounders, possibly lottery picks.

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I think they should both stay but I'd be happy taking either one of them with our 2nd rounder. They're both going to be quality players, having seen them play a lot. Yes we know Gibson is a young guy and needs a lot of polishing, but the definite upside like a Billups is there. PJ is undersized definitely, but he's a difference maker on the court. I think he'll find a way into the league and make a name for himself.

5. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I can't believe some draft sites have PJ Tucker listed at SG/SF. He can't shoot and he can't dribble. He is a end of 2nd round/undrafted player IMO.

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

By the way, I rather have Chuck Hayes than PJ Tucker. I think he offers more things to a team and is a much better defender.

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Did anyone see the interview of JVG on FOX last night saying Rafer Alston and Chuck Hayes can be championship quality players if they find their role? It was pretty interesting. I didn't think he thought highly of Chuck, plus the fact that he's still looking for another forward. How are the minutes going to divide?

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I saw that too. Interesting that he only pointed out Rafer and Chuck as player who can be championship players around Yao and T-Mac. He also said Chuck has to be in the right situation. I think in the perfect world, JVG wants Chuck to be a 10-12 minute guy.

9. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I think Tucker, Gibson and other marginal players are tempted this year by the expected strength of the draft next year. This may be their only opportunity to have a chance at the 1st round. I think that chance is very small. I doubt very seriously Gibson gets drafted. Tucker could go in the 2nd round.

Since neither has an agent, I expect they will go back to UT.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Gibson will get drafted, it might be at the end of the 2nd round, but he'll get drafted. The kid has potential and he showed during his freshman year, while he didn't have the type of sophomore season people thought he would, he still had a decent season when compared to the spotlights that were on PJ and LaMarcus.

Not to be a UT-homer, but I'd pick up Gibson in the 2nd Round. We've seen teams use the #1 overall pick soley based on potential, I wouldn't mind using a 2nd rounder on one. Considering the fact that we have yet to see our 3 last 2nd Round picks, Gibson could at least make the squad.

11. drpepper

drpepper Member

I'd like the idea of us getting Tucker to play some 2/3. Too many of our players simply settle for the outside shot time after time. This could be attributed to the age/height of our guards. Tucker's game is more of a power game where he muscles his way to the basket or foul line. His intensity might be unmatched in college basketbal.l He almost averaged a double-double last season which is rare these days, especially for a guy 6-5. A tough, rebounding, and slashing guard ala Bonzi Wells would be a welcomed change for this team, especially how our bigs rebound.

I think he could possibly crack the first round.

nbadraft describes him as:

Strengths: Has a great combination of strength and athleticism ... Intense competitor ... Scores a lot of baskets by overpowering defenders with his tremendous body strength ... Plays with a lot of toughness. Extremely aggresive, intimidates opponents with his nasty demeanor ... Explosive leaping ability and has the strength to go inside and finish ... Strong one on one skills and looks to drive to the basket ... His ability to create shots for himself off the dribble has improved ... Strong defender ... Tremendous rebounder for a 6-5 player ... Great speed in the open court ... Free throw shooting has shown steady improvement ...

Weaknesses: Scores the majority of his points close to the basket ... Lacks a 3 point shot and any real range on his shot ... His passing ability has shown some improvement but he lacks great vision to find teammates off the dribble ... Can be selfish at times looking only for shots for himself ... Lacks great skills for a guard and great size for a small forward ...

12. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

not too high on him. what is he? a SF? :rolleyes:

13. flipmode

flipmode Member

he's more like a PF in a slow SF's body.
    a poor man's young Barkley. maybe as accurate from 3pt land as him.