1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vassilis Spanoulis Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 24, 2006.

1. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

does he know that you're allowed to dribble with the left hand too?

2. HTownrocketfan

The next Bob Sura :D

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Not sure why everyone is so enamored with that highlight clip. I do appreciate the viewing of course, but my thoughts..

he doesn't seem all that quick. The guys he's playing against are pretty slow. He had 1 decent crossover..other than that, the defenders were just terrible.

That move DD talked about was nice, so it looks like he has some good footwork.

He had one decent pass..the others were pretty average to me.

The floaters he finished in the lane...he would have gotten rejected in the NBA.

I dunno guys..I mean, I'm all for giving him a look in the preseason, but these highlights aren't wowing me or anything. Hopefully he's quicker than he seems, cause I dunno if he'll be fast enough to guard points or big enough to guard 2's.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Manu doesn't appear to be all that quick, but his constant movement and constant changing directions just wears his defenders down.

I think that's what we got with this kid, not that he is Manu but from the point position he has those little moves back and forth with the ball that force the defender to have to keep moving constantly and if he gets the defender to hang up or even lag for a split second, he gets his step and is tearing down the interior defense.

Don't forget he will be playing against higher level competition but he will also be playing with much higher level competition. With him and McGrady and Head and Yao, we should be picking and rolling teams to death.

5. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

LOL this guy travelled atleast three or four times during the vid.

6. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

bring him and let him fight for yao, i love his energy :)

7. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

He's kind of tough. I like that.

8. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Not impressed with the video. I liked the fact he drives hard to the basket but the defense by the other team was non-existent. He'll find it a lot harder to get around people and to finish (esp. at his height) in the NBA.

9. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Maybe it's because it's all highlight? Swift can consistently dunk based on the highlights. :p

10. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

the only thing looks good is hes strong, like Wesley, but taller
    to me his athetism is below NBA average, hope he can become Sura with better penertration.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

LOL, which plays? If you think that was traveling, just wait til he gets to the NBA.

12. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

You guys saying he's too slow, not good for the NBA... you saw that Ryan Bowen got playing time for our team right? So we dont need the help? This guy is gonna be a fantastic addition.

13. rednene

rednene Member

hilarious... did you guys hear the announcers say that Spanoulis will play for the Dallas Mavericks in the summer? :(

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, no offense, but that's got to be a "classic moment", it sounds like something GWB would say.

15. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

how tall is he. he seems a bit undersized to me. I thought we were looking for tall guards. It is a shame he is not taller.

16. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

we won't know how good he is until he plays, you can't really tell by the video.

17. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

He's 6'4". A rather daunting size for a PG, actually.

18. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

judging from those highlights i am not very impressed...he seems like a below average NBA caliber player...a guy like Luther Head would school him on offense and defense.

19. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I took another look at the video. If there is a perfect definition of "matador defense", the team in white is it. Even on the drive that resulted in the altercation, the defense was a joke. When he went baseline the one time, the guy closest to him actually backed off and ran away.

I barely know anything about him but based on this video, Spanoulis has an aggressive attitude and likes to take it to the rack. But if he can't consistently drill the outside shot, he has no chance in the NBA. I can tell you right now that will be the book on him next year. He's not quite as fast and doesn't get up in the air like Ginobilli, so you can forget that comparison. Finishing will be a LOT tougher for him. Luther Head has a brighter NBA future than this guy. (WizzyWig, just saw your post. You beat me to it).

If he turns out to be a deadeye shooter, he's got a chance. Otherwise forget him. Just my humble opinion. Hopefully I'll eat these words for dinner next season. Looking forward to it.

20. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Why does he look so short in the video clip then?