1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe is light years ahead of other stars.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by michellexiao, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michellexiao

michellexiao Contributing Member

Watching LAL vs Suns. He's shooting the lights out.

I can't find any player as good as him in this season.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How is his team's record?

Is he leading them to the top of their division?

No? Just scoring?

O- VERATTED !!!

Yes, he is good, but he ain't all that if he can't make his team better.

DD

3. michellexiao

michellexiao Contributing Member

I say he single-handly brought LAL to playoffs.

Are LAL's scrubs better than Rockets'? Arguable.

4. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

How about King James? Is Kobe light years ahead him?

5. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

wow you must be a hard man to impress. the guy has a horrible supporting cast. i'd like to see that team win more than 18-20 games in a season without him. all those wins above that amount are due to him. even though i hate the guy, he's good, damn good.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

kobe leaves the game for 2.5 minutes to start the 4th and the suns immediately go on a 6-0 run.

edit: i think we can safely say nash's supporting cast is quite a bit better than kobe's. so many of the lakers just make the most incompetent plays at the weirdest times it's amazing. i mean they'll look decent for awhile and then someone like george will throw that lob to odom about 4 feet short and get it intercepted. or kwame will just blow a layup, or odom will foul someone 30 feet from the basket. i know they just played a back to back but the lakers role players are just getting schooled right now.

#6 francis 4 prez, Apr 7, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  7. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

now that’s called a miniature sample size.

yeah, that must mean he's good :rolleyes: :D

8. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Uh...yes. I'm not going to deny Kobe's awesome talent, but the mere fact that they have an all-purpose near all-star caliber forward named Lamar Odom makes their team better than ours without TMac.

Their starting five are Kobe + good all-around player + 3 scrubs (one of whom is an above average post defender and another is in the running for Most Improved Player)

Our current starters are Yao + 4 scrubs (two of which are defensive sieves, one inexperienced rookie, and NONE that can't hit an open shot to save their lives)

You're overrating the quality of our role players. Then again, you're the same person that posted a thread a few months back about trading Yao for Jason Terry and Josh Howard...so I suppose you tend to overrate pretty much ALL role players that play for Texas teams huh? ;)

#8 Kyrodis, Apr 7, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Odom could be a lot better, Kwame is just finding his groove, but the rest of the Lakers are trash. You could literally swap their guys with ours.

Maybe if we swapped coaches....

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Kobe is having a tremendous year, no doubt about it, but he isn't "light years" better than these other top players. He's about even with Wade in overall excellence with Lebron also in that mix.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Kobe is obviously one of the great players in the game today, but he's really overhyped because of all the points he scores. I can't believe he's being considered as a serious MVP candidate by so many people. When was the last time an MVP wasn't favored to advance past the first round in the playoffs

Even at 21, I think LeBron is the better overall player.

12. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Somebody said that Nash's supporting cast is much better than Kobe. I disagree. Difference between Nash and Kobe is that Nash makes his teammates look better. Almost every player on the suns is having a carrer year. Why? Simple, it's Nash. Put Kobe on the Suns, and Nash on the Lakers; and the Nash still is up there, maybe not as good but definetly top 4-5 team, but Kobe would still be at the 8th seed.

13. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

whatever you be smoking, let me have some.

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Read DD's post ^^^^^ Right on.

15. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Kobe has had an amazing season. There are guys in the league with as much talent as Kobe, but nobody works harder. To get that crappy lakers team into the playoffs in the western conference is one hell of an achievement. Kobe is the first human i've ever seen who doesn't get tired. Has anyone ever seen him out of breath? He's stronger in the 4th quarter than he is in the 1st. A machine.

16. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

His teams record is pretty damn good. Just scoring? How about being on the 1st or 2nd all defensive team. Just scoring? How about 5 assists per game. Just scoring? How about 5 rebounds per game. The lakers are horrible without him in the lineup, he averages 41.1 minutes per game.

How in the hell can you say he doesn't make his team better???? I'd venture to say that you are just spewing garbage, how many lakers games have you watched this year?

17. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

reggietodd is about to go tinman on us

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Lamar Odom = Swift 2.0

Rocket River
    Mr potential

19. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Wow... DD just hurt the feeling of a die hard kobe worshiper here. :D

Kobe's being on the defensive team because of his reputation. When was the last game he played more than 5 min. serious defense? His team is garbage? If Marion, Diaw, Jones and Bell are playing with Kobe, is there any doubt you would still consider they are scrubs? Can Marion create his own shot? This guy Diaw coundnt even got off altanta's bench. Jones was a bench player in Indiana who was traded for a 2nd round pick. Bell was famous for his hard nose defense only. Why all of these guys have a career year? Oh yes it's Nash and D'Antoni's system. They make their teammates better. Does Kobe have such impact on his teammates?

I am confident that Odom would have a career year if he plays with Nash, just like marion. Lakers wont win less games if they swap Kobe for Nash. If they retool the team to suit Nash's game, they would even win more games. How many games do you think they would win if Nash is playing with, Mihm, Odom, Butler and Atkins? Guaranteed playoffs spot. Did they win 30 games with Kobe?

20. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

You can't stop Kobe, but even with all that talent, I think there is so much he can still do to make his team better yet he does not.

My theory is that Kobe is not a complete leader yet. You need trust and respect to be a complete leader, and I don't think Kobe has this in his team mates, and he's never bothered to instill it. This is only his 2nd season without Shaq, and would anyone argue that Kobe was the leader of the Lakers with Shaq? I doubt it. He's leading his team to wherever he can, as far as he can go, his team will go.

The thing is, early this season, he never let his team mates find a rythym and I feel like that team has very little if at all any chemistry. They won't even get to the 2nd round like that, book it. There's only so much one man can do, even if that one man is Kobe Bryant.

Now don't get me wrong, I respect his game (except for the above) and think he is the best one man team in the league (does he ever get tired?), but that just won't get it done. All that work, and his team is only 7th seed, almost dropping to 8th.

I think if you stick Tracy McGrady, LeBron James, Dywane Wade, Paul Pierce, Steve Nash, and even Carmelo Anthony in the Lakers lineup and take out Kobe, you'll see the players on LA having career years, while in time, the Lakers will do better then they would with Kobe, while T-Mac, King James, etc. won't have anywhere near the year Kobe is having personally.

I think all of you are going to wonder how Kwame Brown, Lamar Odom, Smush Parker, etc. are going to have career years with the other stars, and my only response is that they will get a much better chance at getting into a rythym early in the season with the other stars and their will be a much better chemistry between them, which will only help the team later on in the season.

That's just my guess, and my two cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.