1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do we draft if we get the #1 pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Legendary21, Apr 4, 2006.

Tags:
  1. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

I'm not the one making this comparison, but it needs to be pointed out that neither Marion nor Kirilenko are PFs. Both guys are SF that play inside from time to time. When Stoudamire gets healthy, Phoenix will play either Diaw or Kurt Thomas at C and Amare at PF and Marion at SF. AK-47 slides to the PF when Jerry Sloan decides that a stiff like Jarron Collins shouldn't be on the floor. When Boozer is healthy, he starts at PF with Okur at C.

2. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I really don't know why I need to respond to this as I really do not care about the athleticism of Noah for a couple of reasons the main one being is that he is not going to be drafted by the rockets, but I am in the draft pipe dream thread so....

First IMO Dirk, Duncan, Gasol, and Thomas are all more athletic but the only reason I made the comment was that I felt like you and Fegwu were gaging athleticism on different scales. You were judging from a PF's drafted scale and he was judging based on players that actually play in the NBA. I agree that athleticism AND size also come into consideration. The reason I don't have a problem comparing him to KT is that even though KT is much shorter I believe he will have no problem pushing Noah outside his 8' effective range and even with all of Noah's supposed athleticism he cannot dribble or shoot from range so after KT pushes him out he is completely useless on offense. Not only that but his need to be close to the basket means that either he clogs the paint for Yao or he moves outside where he is useless on offense.

Noah is not a good fit for the Rockets.

Also I agree with you completely on Marion and AK47, an above poster didn't like that I said Noah was skinny and compared him to these two which I, like you, pointed out was silly.

3. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

Talking about Noah, there seems to be quite different opinions about his ballhandling ability. I have never seen him play myself, but I've read that he can't handle the bl well, and I've also read that he's a very good ballhandler for his size because he used to play PG when he was younger.

So wich is it? Good or bad?

What about Roy? He seams like an ideal fit for the rockets, from my shallow read on him. Maybe #1 is to high for him.

Right now I'm thinking I'd take Noah or Aldridge with the #1. I know we need a SG, but it's much easier to find a servicable SG than it is with post players. So if we get a chance at some talent I think it'd be smart to think big.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Noah is one of the better ball handlers for a big man in transition. He has the ability to dribble over half court when the guards are covered. He doesn't know what to do with it except the sudden stop and pivot in a circle until he finds a little man.

The knock on Noah not being able to handle the ball has to do with his cooky dribble when he posts up in the paint. He dribbles the ball on his post up moves like he is waiting to see where the ball is going to go and then trying to slap it before it hits the floor. He'll get that dribble stolen regularly in the NBA and will have to develop better post moves. But he's got the talent to do just that. He's only 19 or 20 years old.

5. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

thx, i think i understand some of the reports better now :).

6. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

You can choose to reply or not reply to whatever you want. That's the beauty of the internet. I've said all along that those of you who don't think Noah 1) is a good fit for Rockets or 2) don't think he's good enough to be drafted #1 have every right to feel as you do and, imo, have ample ammunition to feel that way (Noah's limited offensive game, etc.).

My main issue with Fegwu's post and yours, to a lesser extent, was that you both don't want Noah and use his athleticism (in your case, lack of athleticism) as a reason why not. I don't want JJ Redick, but if I started saying stuff like, "There's a myth being passed along here that JJ Redick is a good shooter when he's only average at best", people would jump all over that and rightly so. Therefore, if I'm discussing Redick, I point to his lack of athleticism, size, whatever because, objectively, I have to concede that he is a very good shooter. And no, I don't agree that Kenny freakin' Thomas is more athletic than Noah, nor do I agree that Dirk or Duncan or Gasol are. None of those guys would beat him consistently down the court nor would any of them consistently outjump him. But this isn't the NFL and there aren't scouting combine numbers to point to (as flawed as a 40yard time as a measurement of football speed is). Let's agree to disagree on that, if you insist.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Noah is an interesting prospect. He has good athleticism for his size, but I don't think he is ready for the NBA. At 227, the guy is going to have tons of trouble trying to defend the NBA PFs. draftexpress said Noah had a lot of foul trouble throughout the season. Rebounding is mediocre at best.

It'll be interesting to see where Noah goes but I would be disappointed if the year I had a #1 pick, Noah was the top guy.

8. jlivz

jlivz Contributing Member

Trade down to 5-6, pick up role player, draft Roy.

9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Now there is a quote that says it all about this years draft. There are a lot of things to like about Noah's game and attitude but when you get right down to it, it's a sad indicator of the quality of this draft when you are discussing Noah as the number one pick.

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

If we win the lottery, we trade down to the 4th or 5th pick to take Brandon Roy and get another pick this year and/or a pick next year.

Seriously, How do you fit Noah, Tyrus, or Aldridge into the current game plan?

Only Tyrus is really a PF and all three are players who will take at least a year or two to develop on the court. Give Stromile a year with a healthy Yao and McGrady, and he will do well. I think Swift and Howard are averaging something like 17 and 12 together when both Mcgrady and Yao play.

Morrison would fit, but only if your giving up on T-Mac, and I dont see anyone doing that for at least 2 more years.

11. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&id=2407121

This is from ESPN Insider today...
    although it is a 1.7 % chance--- so let's not count on getting the #1 pick

Houston Rockets
    Odds of winning the lottery: 1.7 percent
    The Rockets need a tough defensive presence in the post to counter Yao Ming, and Thomas fits the bill. Some will scoff and say they already have Thomas -- his name is Stromile Swift. But Swift's lack of energy has earned him long spells on the pine. Thomas brings all of Swift's physical tools and combines them with hustle. It would be a match made in heaven. Aldridge might also make some sense. He's a local kid who can score with his back to the basket.

Edge: Tyrus Thomas LSU

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Did any of ya'll see Swift play at LSU? He played exactly like Tyrus does, except Swift was a main scoring option. We don't know if Tyrus will be better or not, or if Swift will not improve either.

13. aburttschell

aburttschell Contributing Member

Look comparing someone to Swift in college is not a bad thing. He has plenty of talent. The reason he doesn't live up to his potential is his ability to play the right way. Missed assignments, and lack of intesity. We don't know if this will be a problem with Thomas.

14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Best post in this thread. Couldn't agree more. I'll bet the same people who want Noah 1st or AT ALL in the 1st round would've drafted Miles Simon #1 too...

Noah's trash. Anyway, he's not even coming out bc he knows he's having as much fun and success as he ever will in his basketball career. Avoid Noah like the plague.

15. HAYJON02

We shouldn't judge what we need now by what we lacked this year. We had so many pieces out we can't make a very good assessment. Looking at last years playoff team is a better indicator IMO. What we lacked was perimeter defense. Teams like Dallas, Phoenix and San Antonio blow by us outside.

So...

1) Gay
    2) Roy
    3) Carney
    these guys will probably be available when we pick at 6-9

The other bigger guys I'd love
    4) Aldridge
    5) Morrison
    6) the Euro guy based on his highlight clips. he realy does look solid as a player.

If we don't get any of these guys, which we should, one of them will fall to wherever we pick, then I think we should trade down for a couple 1sts. I'm a Texas fan, and I can't see why you WOULDNT want JJ Reddick if you have a mid round pick. You saw how good Frahm was on the outside for us.

16. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

PF is the last thing we need to worry about.

If we end up with the first pick, we need to evaluate and choose either Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay, or Rodney Carney.

We need an outside threat, not inside.

17. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Add Morrision to the evaluate and choose list.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Good thing you're not the GM. :p

Seriously, you're picking 2 guys who aren't in the Top 5 and one who isn't in the Top 10 as the #1 overall pick? You don't draft for need this early.

And since when has the PF position been the last thing we need to worry about? Swift and Howard aren't exactly lighting it up, in fact, they are doing the opposite.

19. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Noah isn't trash, but IMO he's a few years away from being an effective NBA player because he has zero offensive skills except for dunks and he's not strong enough. One can argue he has tremendous upside if he gets stronger and develops some offense but that is true of nearly any stiff in college or the NBA. I posted in another thread why it's VERY questionable how hard Noah will work once he gets drafted. In summary, if he's like his father, the work ethic and complete dedication to his craft will be lacking. I see Jared Jeffries version 2 (but a little better).

I think Tyrus Thomas is even more overrated than Noah. Unless you think he can become Shawn Marion, it's unlikely he will be able to play PF in the NBA. He plays taller, but I saw somewhere where he's only 6'7. To me, no way this guy is worthy of a top 5 pick. The more I think about it, maybe not even top 10.

Aldridge is a low post scorer. We don't need another low post scorer. I don't see him as a good compliment to Yao.

I guess I shouldn't really post in this thread. It's hard to conceive of us getting the #1 pick because the odds are so low. Maybe we could trade down a few picks and get our starting PF as part of the trade and draft a swingman.

20. HAYJON02

How are Gay and Carney not in the top 5? That's ridiculous. Who is then? The almighty prophet Noah who will forever change the game of basketball isnt in the draft.

Roy NOT in the top TEN??? Then why are we tanking??? Those are the players we're pursuing.