1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A note on the Grizz Draft PIck

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ROXTXIA, May 27, 2000.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Kenny, Bryce, and the #9 should suffice. Maybe throw in one of the future picks owed us (Orlando or Detroit) or Carlos Rogers, if the Clippers get greedy. The Clips need to flesh out the roster; no one will play for them. So they might make this deal.

------------------

2. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

there is no way KT, bryce, and #9 will do.
    for one, we r trading for a franchise player in swift. the clips r stupid but not that stupid. they will at least want cato in the deal.

if we could do this
    #9, Cato, KT, Bryce, Carlos
    for
    #3 (Swift), Olowakandi, and Nesby i would but i dont think the salaries would line up very well.

still, #9, KT, bryce, and los WILL NOT cut it. sorry it just wont, unless the clippers are even more stupid then i thought which is possible.

------------------
    --TEX

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, I was thinking about a swap of centers as well. It'll be a little tricky. I'm almost positive we'll also have to give them cash, cause that's what they want (one reason the KT/Drew/#9 wouldn't work is because they'd be taking on extra salary, which they hate doing).

I don't think we should get greedy and attempt to get Nesby too....

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

4. Dickerson

Dickerson Member

the rockets should do everything, to land stromile!!!!

..but i think this won´t happen...

bulls or the magic will take him...

------------------
    "the question isn´t who am i, the question is WHERE am I"

5. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

This is very intresting... it says the grizzlies are looking for a tough guy, an enforcer. the ideal pick would be martin of course, but if the nets pick them, that means the grizz could very well go for fizer. fizer said he would play for the grizz, while swift doesnt even workout personally for teams. this means the grizz could very well choose fizer. swift is going to be fabulous but as bobby said in another thread isnt a rotweiler, he is a greyhound. fizer is a rotweiler, and might be more suited to the grizz. swift might get pushed around, fizer certainly wont. i would not be surprised to see the grizz pick fizer over swift.

what does this mean for the rox???? it means we still have a chance to trade with the clips for the #3 pick for swift, if vancouver picks fizer. btw u can make a point about them looking for a shotblocker, fizer is NO SLOUCH at all on D, in fact he has excellent leaping ability. back to trading with the clippers. why? swift said he DOES NOT LIKE the clips situation there, and WILL NOT play there. guess we will be forced to take him off their hands if that happens. boo hoo. hahaha
    here is the report.

From NBATalk
    Grizzlies Looking for a Bear According to the Vancouver Province, the Grizzlies Are Looking for an Enforcer. Grizzly GM Dick Versace said that while he said the club is entertaining trade offers for the No. 2 pick and will "propose some offers" to other teams, Versace likes what he sees at the top of the draft. "I think we're going to be looking a very good player right in the eye." Versace, looking for "some meanness, some toughness" up front, is expected to work out the draft's top three power forwards - Kenyon Martin (Cincinnati), Stromile Swift (LSU) and Marcus Fizer (Iowa State).
    http://www.vancouverprovince.com/grizzlies/stories/000527/4172573.html

------------------
    --TEX

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking the exact thought. What does it take for us to land Swift.........KT, #9, Drew for Swift? I wish. I think it might be a little more

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

7. SlamN

SlamN Member

I don't think offering the #9 and a bunch of career bench players will land the #3. Just my opinion. There is a big difference between the #3 and #9 and offering mediocre players doesn't seem real attractive. The Clips will also be needing a PF since Big Mo is leaving. Swift is comparable to Garnett (body) and Garnett plays the SF and PF spots. After Martin, Fizer, Swift and Mihm, there's not much beef. So trading down for a undersized PF and one dimensional guard doesn't seem logical.

I think teh only way the Rockets can move up is to trade multiple 1st rounders and a few players like KT and Drew.

------------------

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

SlamN -- exactly. It may seem like only 6 spots but when the draft is 4-5 strong as far as the cream of the crop, that's a tremendous dropoff.

With teams like Chicago offering the #4 and #7 and Orlando combining #5 and #10, it's going to be extremely difficult for the Rockets to move up in this draft.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

9. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot Member

Vancouver isn't trading their pick and they are taking either Martin or Swift. Billy Knight, their co-vice-assistant GM (I don't know his title) was on a Canadian sports show and I guess he did a terrible job of disguising the team's true intentions. In fact Vancouver may have Swift as the number one man on their draft chart.

I still don't think we are trading up in this draft. Keep your hopes up that someone good slides our way.

------------------