1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets Are Listening. Rumors Are Swirling.

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Almu, May 22, 2000.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Got a little tip from a little birdie.

Seems that the Nets are looking for teams that are willing to pick up Kittles' contract.

The deal(s) they are looking for is sending their pick and Kittles to anyone that needs Kenyon Martin and that teams pick. As of right now, Orlando is not in the mix with the Nets but Chicago is. As the inside rumblings go, the Nets would send Chicago Kittles and their first pick for Chicagos number 4, Artest(who would be coming home to the New York area) and a later round pick. The Nets would use the 4th pick to pick up Mihm or Fizer to add to Artest and their other late pick. That is basically all they can do since they are cap strapped. Chicago will either use their pick to get Martin or Swift or package their new number one and send it to Orlando for 5 and 13. That would give the Bulls 5,7 and 13. Orlando will then have the first pick, and the 10th pick plus a ton of money(maybe even McGrady who is rumored to be already there mentally). They will use the first pick to grab Kenyon Martin. The Bulls with their picks will then pick whatever they need cuz they just suck.

What is also going around is a sign and trade involving Grant Hill. The deal is Kittles and the 1st pick to Detroit for Hill. Also, a light interest has developed from the Knicks who want to overrun the good news that their border NJ NETS rivals have gotten. Not clear on that yet since they are in the playoffs still but are looking to adjust their backcourt situation. One rumor last week had Spree and Ward going to the Sonics for Payton.

I hope I got all this right. Clutch, you may kick my tail if you hear otherwise! [​IMG]

Now, how does this affect the Rockets? Well, the Nets want to get rid of Kittles contract in the worst way. They hate dealing with Falk and feel like they need big men really fast since there is a rumor that Jason Williams was at only 60 percent before suffering another big time injury and won't be ready until December at the earliest.

How about Cato and Mobley and the number 9 to the Nets for their pick and Kittles?

Kittles is explosive on offense and is a very good defender. I see him all the time here. I don't know if this is good or bad, but they call him a "Pippen clone" on defense. The bad thing is he gets injured alot. But it can't be more often than Cato. I will have to check on that. And Kittles is very young and is also extremely athletic on the open floor. On top of that, he is bigger than Mobley and more muscular. He would be pretty good at the 3 spot. He can fill the void left by Mobes and at the same time try and grab Martin or someone we really like?

Ok, I rumbled long enough. Me need food.

------------------
    Let The Deals Begin!

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited May 22, 2000).]

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Interesting stuff on the Magic, Bulls...

On the Payton for Sprewell-Ward thing: I think the Knicks would be making a huge mistake by dealing Sprewell or Houston, even for a player of Payton's caliber. The chemistry that has developed between Houston and Sprewell, and to a lesser degree LJ, is a thing of beauty.

Mobley+#9+Cato => Martin+Kittles: Mobley and Kittles are pretty much a wash talent-wise, however Kittles is very injury prone. Although explosive, he is very wiry, and trust me Almu, he would not survive for more than 1 game at the small forward. Hell, he has trouble staying healthy at the shooting guard. Imagine the banging he would take at the '3'. I also would not want to risk angering Steve Francis. A disgruntled superstar is not a good thing. Then you come down to Cato+#9 for Martin/Swift which IMHO is a good deal for the Rockets. Yet, coupled with the loss of Mobley, not a good deal. In total, I would not make this deal. Mobley is untouchable in my book, as it pretty much seems that losing him means risking Francis. It also appears Cato might be getting on the right track, however if a good deal for Cato came up, I would pull the trigger. Mobley and Cato and the pick is too much for the 1st pick. Kittles is redundant with Shandon here.

IMHO, with Chicago falling out of the Top-3, Swift is pretty much out of the reach for the Rockets. I would now concentrate on maybe improving that #9 pick a few slots up, maybe to #6 or #7 for a shot at Darius Miles.

------------------
    "I don't care how tall the guy is, trade his ass!"

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited May 22, 2000).]

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I like thacabbage's thinking.... this is what I've been wondering about lately myself. Would Atlanta or Chicago be thinking deal at those picks? I actually wonder though if Miles doesn't go higher than 6 or 7 believe it or not....

Almu -- thanks for the great post! I was wondering if NJ was going to look to unload salary now with that top pick, but I was thinking it could be Van Horn... Kittles makes way too much for me (6 years, $52 million -- free agent in 2005 -- I believe)

I just want Przybilla, and Alexander to atleast go top 8 .... if Iakaolushiusuhrslkjs Ilkouskiseojlkjnekjhd goes Top 8 than Halle-freakin-lujah!

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Clutch: "I just want Przybilla, and Alexander to atleast go top 8 .... if Iakaolushiusuhrslkjs Ilkouskiseojlkjnekjhd goes Top 8 than Halle-freakin-lujah!"

My question is ."why is Pryzbilla considered a Top-5 pick by most scouts?". He's got size, but absolutely zero offensive skills. I swear he makes Eric Montross look like Hakeem Olajuwon.

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited May 22, 2000).]

5. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot Member

Somethings to consider:

[*] Chicago wants Mihm and New Jersey wouldn't mind the #4 and #7 giving them a chance at Fizer and maybe even Przybilla.

[*] Chicago could take Kittles contract however the #4 and #7 are plenty value for the #1.

[*] Chicago is talking to Portland about trading either the #4 or #7 for Jermaine O'Neal which could take Chicago out of the #1 race since a move for O'Neal would be overtures to a McGrady signing, thus making it tougher to eat the Kittles contract.

I expect Mihm to be the first pick by either Chicago or New Jersey unless a team like Orlando trades up to the #1 to draft Martin. It will be a fun month and a half folks. I expect many more moves than normal since multiple teams hold multiple picks.

------------------

6. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Thanks, Clutch.

This guy at the radio station who is helping me out seems like he has a direct wire to the NBA. Advertising has some benefits, I guess. [​IMG]

He told me about Kobe getting married Friday and I thought he was pulling my leg.

I guess not.

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

7. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

If the Nets are trying to unload salaries, why then, would they want Cato's contract?

No way would I want Kittles over Mobley.

We need to look to Vancouver for any real trade possibilities.

------------------
    You just want to be on the side thats winning.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned Vancouver. The first thing the Grizzlies' guy said when asked about their #2, was that it held a lot of possibilities in trade. I wonder if they feel they now have enough talent through the draft and are looking for veterans to help the team.

------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

9. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot Member

I listened to a 15 minute interview with Michael Heisley and Dick Versace and it sounds like Vancouver will not trade the pick for veterans because they believe they are on a 3 year building plan. Trading the #2 wasn't out of the question but Versace believes that the Grizzlies can service their needs best by keeping the #2 pick. He also said that trading the pick isn't out of the question however it sounded like they would only move for an unbelievable offer.

------------------

10. BornRocketRed

BornRocketRed Member

in reply to the cabbage: "My question is: "why is Pryzbilla considered a Top-5 pick by most scouts?". He's got size, but absolutely zero offensive skills. I swear he makes Eric Montross look like Hakeem Olajuwon. "

History repeats itself. Remember Sam Bowie who was picked #2 by Portland before Chicago picked Jordan with the #3.

------------------
    screw Bud Adams

11. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

If the nets want to trade, I would take Van Horn off their hands in a heartbeat. But what would we have that they want?

Drew..maybe(as a backup to Marbury)
    Cato..maybe(then Jason Williams could play his natural position)
    Walt..(an outside scorer that would replace Van Horn)
    #9 pick

We would then get KMart and Van Horn as our 4 & 3 with KT coming off the bench.

Tough call but definitly workable for both teams.

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Except Bowie had talent. It was health reasons that kept him from amounting to anything.

------------------
    ?

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Bowie did have talent. I believe it was he and Mel Tuprin (Famous for being traded out of the country by the Cavs) that whooped up on Hakeem in college.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Orlando has been in the mix from the very moment the draft concluded.

The Nets rep at the draft has already gone on record saying they were offered the #5 and the #10(Orlando's picks). Not a bad deal. They get 2 top 10 picks. Surely one of those picks could be traded for a quality veteran and a lower first round or early second rounder. I'd probably do this if I were NJ.

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

15. PhiSlammaJamma

If I'm the nets I take Martin. You move Van Horn to SF, Let Williams play Center, and Let Martin play PF. Then you go out and find youself a free agent down the road. Not too bad a team there. As I see it the Nets need someone who can go to battle. Kenyon brings that every night. Chris Mihm, well, uh, not quite. You've got to take Martin because he's far and away the best talent. Nobody even comes close. It's a huge mistake not to take him at the one if you ask me. The NETS needs a big piece to the puzzle, not some minor adjustment at the Center position. No trade. A 5 and a 10 makes you better, but it doesn't make you a contender.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I agree PhiSlamJam, in all likelyhood they will stay at one and draft clearly the best player, being Martin, and just play Martin and Van Horn together as forwards, rather than in the more defined roles of small and power forwards, surely if Martin is a good as everyone says defensively then he can guard the SF's if Van Horn is too slow to match up and offensively Van Horn plays like a SF anyway. I think the line-up is great.

Smeg

------------------
    CUT Tino
    Isn't it amazing how quickly everyone did a Cat Backflip!!!!!

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Any word on Martin's injury rehab ?

Mango

------------------
    Live long and prosper.

Donate Blood!

18. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Hey guys
    see my trade in the main forum
    aelliot would this trade work?