1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Today is not the deadline for offering picks?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, May 21, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I could have swore the Chronicle and other places stated May 21st, the day of the lottery, also was the deadline for teams to announce if they were going to part with any picks they owed other teams (in our case, Orlando and Detroit)....

But in this <a href="http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/nugs0521.htm">Denver Post article</a> about Denver waiting to see if Orlando will convey one of their picks to the Nuggets, Nugz coach Dan Issel states:

"Say (the Magic) wind up with the 13th pick. We'll have to see what players we will have projected in that range and see if that's what we want to do," Issel said. "After (today), although Orlando doesn't have to offer a pick until 15 days before the draft, we'll have a pretty good idea of whether they will offer us one or not."

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

I think this is right, but I'm sure someone will let me know if it isn't.

I believe the date to pay the drafts to the other team was the 21st. Now if Orlando wants to give it to Houston this year they will pick the player we want and then sign rights over to us, in exchange for the pick they owe us. So we could still get it this year, just that they call the name instead of Houston. I think this is a built in loop hole.

------------------