1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mihm Press Conference Friday

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by JT, May 12, 2000.

Tags:
  1. JT

JT Member

From the UT web site:

Chris Mihm Sets Press Conference
    5/11/2000

AUSTIN, Texas - Texas junior Chris Mihm will be available to the media on Friday, May 12 at 11 a.m. At this time, he will announce his future plans.

Mihm became the second consensus first-team all-American in school history this year (Jack Gray, 1935) and the first ever first-team Associated Press all-American at UT. A Wooden Award and Naismith Award finalist this past season, Mihm led the team in scoring (17.7 ppg), rebounding (10.5) and blocks (90). He led the Big 12 Conference in rebounding, double-doubles (20) and blocks.

In his three years at Texas, Mihm has established 12 school records. He ranks first on UT's all-time blocks list (264), second in double-doubles (47), second in rebounds (945) and 13th in scoring (1,404). He owns the school record in EVERY blocked shot category: single-game (eight), single-season (90), career and career average (2.80). Mihm is also the first person in Texas history to record 1,100 points, 800 rebounds AND 200 blocks.

------------------

2. JT

JT Member

According to this excerpt from an article in the FT Worth Star Telegram he will declare for the draft and is likely to hire and agent right away.

Mihm to declare for NBA draft; Longhorns center a likely lottery pick
    By Mike Jones
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

AUSTIN -- University of Texas junior center Chris Mihm will announce today that he is declaring for the upcoming NBA Draft, according to a source close to the situation.

Mihm is scheduled to announce his plans at an 11 a.m. news conference on campus.

The 7-foot All-American must declare his intention in writing to the NBA office by 11 p.m. Sunday. He can withdraw a week before the June 28 draft and retain his collegiate eligibility. He is, however, leaning toward hiring an agent and forgoing his final college season, the source said.

An athletic department spokesman said that Mihm informed the coaching staff of his decision yesterday. Longhorns coach Rick Barnes said he would reserve comment on Mihm's decision until today. Neither Mihm nor his family could be reached for comment.

Another source close to the athletic department said Mihm's decision to leave has become a foregone conclusion in the past week.

"I think just by the fact he's waited this long to announce what he's going to do is a pretty good indication of that," the source said. "If he was coming back, I think he would have said so."

Two of Mihm's teammates said he had not told them of his decision, but that they expect him to leave for the NBA.

------------------

3. Curly

Curly Member

Declares as expected...

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

4. wizard

wizard Member

Well i just got out of my final exam and as i
    turn the corner in Belmont hall third floor. I see a dressed up Mihm ready for his press conference. HE seemed very nervous and his mom was asking him if everything is okay. There were men in buisiness suits and he was holding his girlfriend. Kept walking by so i can listen in but basically it was just "you need anything" and "lets do it" and "this is your day".

------------------

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What a scrub? Can you say Bryant Reeves? Mihm was a great college ball player but he will do squat in the NBA. I hope he gets passed out of the top 5. If I was at the draft I would boo his ass. UT doesn't need him no more. Rick Barnes made him who he is. No Texas player has ever been sucessful in the NBA. Mihm will not be successful in the NBA.

Thanks yall for letting me vent. I'm okay now.

------------------
    That's my Britney Spears CD, go buy your own!!!

6. Smokey

I saw Gabe lots of time at Gregory. He looks like a NBA scrub too. Damn how come Texas can't recruit in ball like Mack Brown does in football.

------------------

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

How does one "look" like an NBA scrub? Just curious. I think Mihm is going to be a solid ballplayer in the NBA, not all star caliber mind you, but a decent contributor. He has a good range of skills....well rounded player.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

8. Smokey

An NBA scrub is Manute Bol. Chris Mihm has alot in common with Bol.

------------------

9. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Like they technically play the same position and.... and... and... and, well, they technically play the same position.

Mihm can rebound, he can shoot and he can block some shots. Not a star, but a possible Vlade Divac type at center.

------------------

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I'm listening Smokey....what does Mihm have in common with Bol?

Anyone? Anyone?

I can think of two things, one of which has already been pointed out....they play or played center. They are both tall. That is about all I can think of.

Mihm has more offensive skills in college than Bol ever had in the NBA. Manute was out there for two reasons - clog up the lane, block some shots. Mihm is going to be a presence in the league on both ends. I don't think he will be a great player, but a good one. A guy with his size and skills doesn't come around very often. True centers are a dying breed.

------------------
    HOOP-T

11. JT

JT Member

My reservations about Mihm are not with his skills. He certainly has skills on both the offensive and defensive ends of the court. My problem is with his intensity and desire. He just doesn't seem to play with the intensity that would seem necessary to make him successful in the NBA. He has played well in both up tempo and slower half court offenses so offensive styles really aren't much of a problem either. If the Rockets were somehow to pick Mihm I wouldn't be disappointed though. Given Rudy T's and CD's track record I have to think that if they pick Mihm it would be because they see something that we don't.

------------------

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Good point JT! Mihm, at times, does seem very complacent or maybe even desireless. But he has shown flashes of dominance at the college level.

Even an NBA coach can't make someone play hard, but I am anxious to see how Mihm looks after having a training camp under his belt and some serious work with coaches at the pro level.

------------------
    HOOP-T