1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Miller will likely declare and the Rockets are HIGH on him.

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Da Man, Apr 18, 2000.

1. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Miller will meet Wednesday with Donovan

Florida sophomore forward Mike Miller is expected to tell Gators coach Billy Donovan in a Wednesday meeting in Gainesville that he is leaning toward declaring for the NBA draft, a source close to Miller confirmed to ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Monday.

Donovan, known to be one of the top recruiters in the nation, will try and convince Miller to stay in school. But Miller is well aware that NBA personnel directors have rated him the top small forward in the draft, if he declares. No news conference has been scheduled for this week.

Miller is expected to go in the top 10, possibly as high as No. 5, depending upon the draft order. Sources close to Miller have confirmed that the Atlanta Hawks and Houston Rockets are extremely high on Miller. Both teams will be in the lottery (the first 13 picks).

Miller, who led the Gators with 14.3 points a game, scored only 10 points on 2-of-5 shooting in the national title loss to Michigan State earlier this month. The 6-foot-8 Miller is a deft ballhandler with the inside-out skills necessary to make the transition to the NBA. He was more assertive in the five games prior to the title game, leading the Gators to a first-round victory over Butler on a last-second basket when he sliced through the Bulldogs' interior for a fadeaway shot.

Ten underclassmen have officially declared for the draft. The deadline is May 14. If Miller declares, he's not likely to return to college because of his top 10 draft status.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

------------------

2. JT

JT Member

Beat me to the punch Da Man. I was just about to post the same article. I think Miller has loads of potential as a SF. He likes to run so he would fit well in this offense. It would be interesting to see him come off the bench behind Walt. If the article is correct about the Rockets interest then that would mean that the athletic big man need would probably be dealt with via trade or free agency.

------------------

3. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Niether two would be much surprises. Not like Florida would be hurt too much with Miller leaving, they have much depth. I would like Miller a lot, just I have concern for his defense. I'm not sure he'll be able to handle the quick players in the NBA, but nevertheless he has the height and we can always work from there. I just love his fearless attitude of dunking after blowing by his man.

As for Richardson, he's slipped quite a lot, but I still remember the Fox Sports Report. Dude should make a decision soon. I wouldn't mind him either, but we are overloaded at SG. Remember when he started out as a top pick?

------------------
    Check out the best source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does Mike Miller have a 3 point shot? Just wondering.

I like Miller cause of his uptempo style, and ball handling. That'd give us a lineup of 3 (or if we go small, 4) guys who can handle the ball in Francis, Mobley, Miller (and sometimes Shandon) on the break.

If we get the Detroit or Orlando pick, and believed we could get either Moiso or Oyededji there, I would not hesitate to grab Miller.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

5. Da Man

Supporting Member

Mike Miller can stroke it from long range. The thing I do like about him is that he is a very good defender. So I don't expect that to change too much in the NBA. Moves his feet very well, always keeping his man in front of him. Scouts love his versatility. NOt just on the offensive end, but on the defensive end. Guards quicker players and players on the low block. He is the catalyst in making Billy Donovan's full court press so effective.

------------------

6. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Nike, Miller is known for his compete offensive game, he has a great 3 point shot. However, he still needs to work on defense, not that good, but everything else is good.

DaMan, Miller is a very good defender?! Which Miller have you've been watching? Did you watch the Miller/Mason matchup where Miller just got his @$$ burned. Miller is a great offensive player I agree, but a very good defender is a overstatement. He has trouble with the quick wing players which he will be guarding in the NBA.

------------------
    Check out the best source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

[This message has been edited by rocketsfan34 (edited April 18, 2000).]

7. Da Man

Supporting Member

Another underclassman declares.

Kennedy expects Richardson to enter draft

By Andy Katz
    ESPN.com

Barring a last-minute decision to change his mind, DePaul sophomore guard Quentin Richardson will declare for the NBA draft, coach Pat Kennedy told ESPN.com.

"He's leaning toward coming out," Kennedy said. "He just has to make an official announcement."

Kennedy had spent the past two weeks trying to convince Richardson that he needed another season. Kennedy gathered data that showed Richardson wasn't a top 10 pick. But Kennedy said the Richardson family was told that he was a top-10 pick, possibly in the top five.

The 6-foot-6 Richardson had an erratic sophomore season after a banner freshman year. Richardson averaged 18.9 points, 10.5 rebounds and shot 47.8 percent for the Blue Demons as a freshman. But DePaul went as far as the NIT second round.

Richardson's numbers dropped his sophomore season to 17.1 points, 9.8 rebounds, 43.3 percent shooting, but DePaul reached the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Richardson scored 21 points in the overtime loss to Kansas.

NBA scouts told ESPN.com in Phoenix at the Desert Classic that Richardson was a mid-to-late first-round pick.

------------------