1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Once and for all how many picks do the Rocks have!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by vince, Apr 17, 2000.

1. vince

vince Member

How many picks do the Rockets have for this year.

I read in the Front page of Clutch that the Rockets have.........

"We have the $1.2M, the $2.3M plus a $4.5M to play with during the offseason, barring any changes in personnel. [Rudy] thought it would be likely that Orlando would make the playoffs and the Rockets would get their pick this year after all, making it three total picks for the draft ..."

So what is it, how many picks do the Rockets have and realistically hope to have.

------------------

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Rocks have bewteen one and three. Orlando and Detroit owe the Rocks a first round pick and the Rocks owe Vancouver a first round pick.

Orlando has three first round picks this year with the worst of the three being their own which should be either the 13th or 14th pick. Since Orlando is looking to land a high profile free agent this year (and maybe next) and since this year's draft is not deep, Orlando may not want to tie up $$$ with three guaranteed first round contracts, especially if their pick will not land them a great player. I see Oralndo giving the Rocks their first round pick as likely.

For similar reasons, the Rocks may also move that pick to Vancouver or packace the pick with Drew and the trade exception in a FA sign-and-trade deal.

Detroit will make the playoffs this year and cuurently own the 15th pick. Depending on what Detroit feels is their chances on re-signing Grant Hill will determine in a large part whether or not they send the pick to us. If they do not feel they can sign Hill, they will be lottery bound for the next several years and this year's pick may be the worst pick they will have in the time period they need to give the Rocks a picks.

If Orlando or Detroit feel that they will be lottery bound in the upcoming years, they may wait and trade their early second round pick for a very late first round pick to give to the Rockets. Such a pick would be the pick the Rockets would want to turn around and give to Vancouver.

If the Rockets do get Orlando's and/or Detroit's first round pick this year, another consideration is how many spots on next year's roster will be open for rookies. If the Rocks get more picks that they have slots for rookies, I look for them to move the extra picks.

[This message has been edited by No Worries (edited April 17, 2000).]

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

SirS:
    I think that is what we are all afraid of, is getting $crewed out of decent picks. If it makes sense to us I'm sure it also makes sense to Orlando to trade their 14th pick to areally good team (Lakers) for their 1st and 2nd (or like you said a future pick). It makes too much sense for Orlando to not do this with a team in the Western conference.

If nothing else it may give us leverage to move up in the draft by possibly packaging our #8 or so pick with another 1st rounder to move into the top 3 picks though.

------------------

4. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Unless I am missing something, I don't see us getting Orlando's OR Detriots' earned picks this year. A 14-15-16 pick isn't bad. If you were them, why would you not at least trade that pick to the Lakers, Blazers, Pacers or the like for their this years pick (28ish) plus a future 1st rounder from that team (next year, or in 2 years). From a team's perspective like the Lakers-it would be a good idea too. It would be a relatively easy way to pick up a much better pick than they otherwise could earn (this year or in the near future) and not saddle the team with a late first rounders contract and roster spot next year they would have to fill.

------------------