1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agents over the next 2 years

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sir scarvajal, Apr 10, 2000.

1. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I have been finally convinced to tank the Tank-a-Thong, I have slowly come to the realization their isn't much difference between a 6 pick and an 11 pick this year.

Just Win Baby!! That is my tune now, then lock up Mobes, go after an almost big time front court player via free agent or sign and trade (after all, I freely admit we have the best young stable of guards, bar none), and trade this years' #1 pick to a desperate but overly optimistic clunker (e.g., GS, Clips, Bullets, Bulls, Nuggets) for their next years unrestricted #1 so that we can sneak in the Woods, Mihm, Swift, Haywood, Morris, Battier, Murphy, Miles, etc, free-fest. For the Clippers next year pick, I'll even send them 2 #1's this year, they might think that is worth it, after all they would get good picks now and surely every team, even the Clippers, think they will get better. Kick the down and stupid franchises when they are really low and desperate, that is what I say.

I would take Duncan over Webber as well--but they are pretty close in overall skill (I am not sure people realize if you take away him from Sac they would be the 3rd to 5th worst team in the whole Freakin league, he is playig that well) and he isn't exactly old at 27. Also Webber this year (he has figured out FTs, his nemisis) is pretty darned close to being as good as Duncan. Finally, I am trying not to be "gready" in asking god for Duncan, Webber in 2001 will do just fine [​IMG]. Plus I think Webber is a lot more realistic for various reasons I have said (reason #1 is due to the timing of Hakeem's contract termination).

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited April 13, 2000).]

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Sir Scarvajal:

I don't see CWebb even in the same tier as a Tim Duncan. Not that I would be disappointed if CWebb fell into our laps in '01 as a consolation prize, but the potential lineup would be nowhere near what a Duncan team could accomplish. Tim is only 23 years old right now (he turns 24 in a couple of days), while Webber is around 27. I would prefer to have my two superstars at a closer age so that they will both max out during the same time. IMHO, Cato is out the door, and Duncan's ability to play the 5 is a huge advantage over Webber. A tandem of Duncan-Thomas is light years ahead of CWebb and whatever stiff they can shore up to play the 5. Remember, CWebb won't play the 5; Nellie already tried that a few years ago [​IMG]. I think the biggest thing Duncan brings to the table is his maturity. We all know that there is not going to be a power clash in that lockerroom between him and Steve. Tim wants to go somewhere where a young nucleus is already set and he can just fill in the holes. I would think of him and Francis not as option #1 and #2, but as Partnership #1, if you will. I think we need to be very careful early in the summer, and resist the temptation to deal marginal market value (Drew, Carlos) etc. We need these salaries/bodies to pull of a Duncan deal. If on draft day the Houston Rockets select a guard with their lottery pick, do not be surprised at all. They just could be picking for the aging Spurs (whose backcourt has been getting abused of late).

No Worries:

Derek Anderson is not a backup. Too much depth is a very dangerous thing and a 4-some of Mobley-Francis-Anderson-Anderson could only lead to disasters. Derek Anderson will be an All-Star one day, IMHO.

Others:

Maurice Taylor: Don't like him one bit. Even if he was available for $5mill, I wouldn't budge. "Big Name" Taylor is only known as "that Clipper forward who couldn't check a doorknob or grab a rebound to save his life." The fact that he's asking for the same amount as Tim Duncan doesn't make matters any better. I'll pass.

We need to be extremely cautios this time around. I hope Rudy and co. learned from the 3-headed monster years that 3-superstar attacks get you in trouble. If we are able to land TDuncan, I would advise against acquiring Rashard Lewis or Tim Thomas type players; guys with All-Star potential who are capable of putting up 20 a night. Steve needs the ball, Tim needs the ball, and Cat needs the ball. No room for others.

A good structure, IMHO would be:
    superstars: Duncan, Francis
    borderline studs: Cat, Thomas
    Hustle, quality players: Moochie, Shandon, Carlos

Cato: He will not be a Rocket next season...mark my words. There's too much market for athletic shotblocking, youthful big men for Rudy T. to not trade him. I felt this same way about Othella last summer => too much value vs. potential production.

Thomas: This guy I am really starting to love. A summer workout regimen would do him wonders. This is the only power forward in the league I have seen that can play out on the perimeter, pump fake the ball, drive-and-dish. His passing is incredible. Kenny T is a keeper.

Small forward: As I said above, we do not need another star. All we need is a guy who is an average defender, has youth, average speed, and can hit the open shot. Walt has been taking pressure off of the penetrators with his great shooting ability, but he is not the answer. Mo Peterson would be a good fit here...but again, IMHO, the pick will be traded.

------------------
    $42million. 7 years.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

thaCabbage,
    I like your analysis, but you don't really think Duncan is actually going to end up here? The only place I've ever seen that mentioned as a possibility is on this Rockets fan site. IMO, there's about 65% chance he'll stay in San Antonio, 34.35% chance he'll go to Orlando, and a .65% chance he would actually come here. I'm not sure about the %s for SA and Orlando, but the Houston % seems about right. That's just my opinion, but it seems like a pretty reasonable one. I sure would love to have him. If I was to pick one player outside of Shaq (even that's a close call) I'd like to have, it would be TD.

------------------

[This message has been edited by oakdogg (edited April 14, 2000).]

4. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

> Derek Anderson is not a backup. [...] Derek Anderson will be an All-Star one day

I watched him at Kentucky and he was their best player, even alongside Mercer and Walker. IMNSHO Ky. would have won that third championship in '97 if Anderson had played in the championship game. I have wanted him as a Rocket for years, but we are too loaded with talent in the backcourt now. What we need is wide bodies.

5. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Strange things have happended before--we got Stevie for players who are mid and late first round draft picks, but I think TD is such a long shot I haven't got too excited about it. I also see the breakdown a lot like Oakdog, probably 50% TD is in SA, 40% in Orl, 10% he goes somewhere else. I guess if SA was completely in a corner, he strongly wanted to come here, and we had the best deal--offered like Mobes, Cato or KT, Walt + our picks, I guess it is conceivable. I don't see how it would be possible without losing 2 of the following CM, SA, KT or KC, though I would still do it in a millisecond even so.

As far as TD and CW, there is about 3 years age difference. Atleast this year, IMO there is neglible difference in terms of their basketball ability. I think a C/PF combination of Cato and Webber is as formibable, though older, as Duncan and KT. But CWebb will still be a great player for 5 or 6 more years, and a very good player 2-4 more. With Duncan you can add three years to that--unless his knees become more problematic. Health did cut short players I can think with a games and bodies most similar, Brad Daugherty & Bill Walton.

Along with TD just being such a stretch I think to play here, one more final factor. We would need to trade (a lot) for TD, Webber we could sign via free agency keeping all our current players and prospects. The timing for our cap relief is perfect for 2001.

------------------

6. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

IMO, TD is way better than Webber simply because he's a legit go-to guy who carried his team to a championship. I saw Webber lose a first-round series last year against the Jazz, and though it was hard fought, Webber clanked a lot of those jump hooks he likes, and I did not feel comfortable when he had it in the post on an important possession (I was really rooting for them against the Jazz [​IMG] ), I know I'd like TD there. In fact, I'm pretty darn confident in Mobley getting those shots these days. I'd still take CWebb in a heartbeat, but TD is better.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, TD can anchor a defense a lot better than Webber could with his size and shot blocking/changing ability. That's why I think a kick a$$ center like a Hakeem or a Duncan (plays PF now, but he could be a C) or any of the other prime time centers is so dang valuable and preferrable over a superstar at any other position. You can build both an offense and a defense around him.

We're not gonna get TD, but hypothetically, if Tim straight up refused to play for SA and liked Htown as well as Orlando (he'd get more money in a sign and trade to Htown than a FA signing at the max with Orlando anyway), then that might be a scenario that CD and Rudy could work some magic on. If I'm them, I would trade everything, save Francis (I'd trade him even, but then TD wouldn't find us attractive), for him. If you have two superstars like those two at the PG and C positions, you can find role players (I'm not talking about lottery picks here) to plug in the holes without a doubt.

------------------