1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Feigen: Francis to Houston, not going to happen.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Feb 19, 2006.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

For what it's worth, Feigen doesn't think Francis is coming back. Granted he also said that we weren't going to get Mcgrady when trade rumors were swirling around about that two summers ago.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3670131.html

Rockets would take Francis back, but it won't happen

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

All-Star Weekend is the mother's milk for trade rumors, which we assume since everyone walks around asking about trade rumors.

This is probably because trade rumors are usually more interesting than trades. But as host city, we'll play along, especially since the hottest name making the rounds is Steve Francis, whom we once ordained "Franchise."

This much is true: Francis would love to be back in Houston. Through channels, he has let that be known. Despite comments he has made since he was sent to Orlando in the Tracy McGrady deal, Francis' biggest issue about Jeff Van Gundy is that Van Gundy was the coach who traded him.

Van Gundy, to the doubts of roughly 300 media members over on Westheimer, would be happy to coach Francis again. He would probably want to wring his neck at times, but Van Gundy genuinely liked the guy and believes Francis played well and hard for him.

That right there is more than enough to germinate a trade rumor, but this one had been picking up steam already.

The Nuggets and Knicks, the teams most interested in making deals by Thursday's deadline, have been mentioned most as possible landing spots for Francis, but there is always an addendum that tacks on Houston.

It's not going to happen. It can't. It won't.

If you put Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady off limits — and they are — and gave Orlando its choice of everyone and anyone on the Rockets' roster to add up to Francis' $14 million-plus, you cannot come up with a deal the Magic would take.

They want to move Francis, but they can find younger options than David Wesley and Juwan Howard, shorter contracts than Rafer Alston's and Stromile Swift's, and better options than any the Rockets could come up with.

One more thing: The Rockets are determined to run. Van Gundy wants to run. The organization wants to run. Francis is fast but does not play well fast. The Rockets would like to have Francis around, but from the owner on down, they love Alston.

Still, it would have been fun to see Van Gundy and Francis together again.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If we're going to run, then bye bye Howard.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

As frusturating as they could be to watch, I still miss the old gang of Steve, Cat, Mo, Cato, Kenny, etc... I was sad to see Moochie go again.

I wanted them to try to go after Cat in the offseason. Even though it probably wouldn't work, I'd still love to see them try to being back Stevie.

4. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Damn all we need now is for Vecsey to say Francis is coming back to houston to put the nail in the coffin.

5. Glyyde

Glyyde Member

running a break with alston leading and francis and Tmac on the wing with Swift trailing behind actually sounded very good to me..... Francis is not a good decision maker on fastbreak when he has the ball, but I think he will be a good one on the recieving end of a fastbreak.....

but seriously speaking.... the salary doesn't seems to work in anyway does it?

6. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Exactly what i was thinking

7. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

He never considered expiring contracts, that could give them a free agent pool to pull from next year.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Even mentioning this concept of Francis being back in Houston gives it legitimacy. That'd be sweet if we make a move that big before the deadline passes.

9. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I think someone needs to start a bring back Serge Zwicker, Zan Tabak, and Chilly Pete thread just to continue this madness.

10. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

I think he is forgetting about trade exceptions too.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What I'm wondering about is a 3 way with New Jersey. NJ gets Stromile and our #1 pick, they send RJ to Orlando, and we send Wesley, and Anderson, or whoever back out to Orlando, NJ, to make the salaries work. Basically the trade would be Francis here, Stro to NJ, and RJ to Orlando, with NJ getting a draft pick or two, maybe another player to go with Stro from Orlando.

That's the only way I could see Francis coming here. I still don't think he fits as well as other deals we could do.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Nor draft picks. Didn't see that mentioned, although it is 8:30 Sunday morning, and I'm not "seeing" much right now.

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Francis is making $13.7 (per hoopshype salaries), so Feigan rounded up. We could get close to offering mostly expiring contracts plus young talent with a package of Wesley ($5 million, expires this year), Sura ($3.5 million, expires next year), Luther Head ($.975 million), Moochie trade exception ($3.35 million), Lampe ($.85million), and our #1 pick this summer, unprotected, + $3 million cash considerations.

With his scheduled raise, Francis is on the books for $15 million next year. With this trade, Orlando would save that much salary off their cap number this summer, but would add next year's cap figures for Head ($1.05 million), Sura ($3.8 million), plus the pick (maybe $3 million), for a total add of $7.85 million, and a net savings of $7.15 million. As such, the net benefit of the trade this summer to Orlando would be a probable lottery pick, Luther Head, $7.15 million in cap savings this summer to sign a free agent, and Sura playing almost for free next year (if they don't waive him) due to the $3 million payment. In the summer of 2007, they would have another $3.8 million come off the cap when Sura's deal expires (in addition to the $16.9 million that will come off their cap when Grant Hill's deal comes off), so they could be free agent players again in 2007.

I'm not saying that we should make this offer, or that Orlando would take it. I'm just challenging the proposition that we cannot offer as good of a deal as New York or Denver. This sounds like a better offer than the rumored offer by New York of Hardaway's expiring contract plus Channing Frye. As for Denver, they only have long term contracts to offer, outside of Voshon Lenard and Nene. If Orlando does not want Rafer or Swift's deals, they surely don't want Watson or Kenyon Martin's even bigger deals. And they might not be drooling to get Nene, who would command a big contract this summer, when they already have Howard and Darko.

14. cwww

cwww Member

IMO the Francis trade is not impossible...

Here's what I think (ESPN Trade Machine said the deal below is possible):

Orlando gets-
    Derek Anderson
    Stromile Swift
    David Wesley

Houston gets-
    Steve Francis
    Bo Outlaw

It makes sense to me, while losing Francis Orlando get two shooting guards in DA and Wesley, while Swift could be a valuable player off the bench for them (JVG might have figured out that Swift is not the PF that he's been looking for, and Juwan Howard can still play most of the game with Chuck Hayes and maybe Lampe backing him up). Bo Outlaw doesn't play much for the Magic, so they might give him up for the deal, plus, JVG love old hardworking guys and Outlaw is in the final year of his contract, he can come in and play some 3 or 4 for us...

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Heh...we found you!

;)

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Let's say we did get Francis. Does anyone actually think the line-up of Francis, TMac, and Yao would work well? I don't particularly care for a line-up like that. I would rather have Bob Sura than Francis. Francis doesn't even play well when he can play his own game these days let alone trying to play under JVG's system. I think he would be a better all around player at this point had he stayed on our team under JVG's system. I just don't think that a combination of Francis, TMac, and Yao would work out well or get us any closer to the goal of advancing, and winning, in the playoffs.

So, I'm not particularly thrilled about even hearing the rumor. Blah.

17. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

Swift
    Head
    Wesley
    1st round pick (top 5 protected)
    cash considerations

for Francis.

it all works under the cap.

18. ty185

ty185 Member

IIRC,

trade exception can not be combined with other contracts in a trade
    cash consideration can not be used to balance salary constraints.
    Lampe probably can not be traded any more because we have just traded for him and it has passed the 48 hours window now

that leaves DW+BS+LH = ~9.5M

to get the salaries match we need at least add in DA (which would make him furious and probably give rox a bad name in free agents) or JH/SS (which orlando wouldn't be interested about with them having Dwight Howard...

19. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Unless Francis becomes our starting SG -- which would put us at a disadvantage on defense -- then there is no way he could be back. Also, is SF3 willing to feed off T-Mac and Yao (i.e. play 3rd fiddle)? I don't see how this trade is even remotely possible or how it gives us what we need to have an elite team.

If this trade goes through, then the top people in the franchise have gone crazy and have become desperate. This trade would make zero fiscal sense and zero basketball sense on the Rockets' end; the Magic would have little problem accepting a trade of SF3 for essentially expirings, because they ARE trying to rebuild around Howard and want to desperately reduce their cap because they're losing money and might relocate from Orlando.

Besides, if we're willing to take on a max contract player in a trade, aren't there REALLY better prospects out there that would fit within the team's concept than SF3? Or is Les less concerned about winning and more interested in making a 'splash' that would re-ignite fan interest in the team?

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=1372241#post1372241

Funny you remembered that ... it also was a Sunday editorial and includes one of my favorite lines:

"All of which makes the choice tough, but the decision easy. Keep Francis and load up enough to trade for the first pick, take Emeka Okafor and don't look back."