1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KOBE's scary 81 points, Will T-Mac do it one day?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slmonky, Jan 23, 2006.

Tags:
  1. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

Kobe is almost a better all-around player than TMAC this season: except TMAC has better on-court-view, or say TMAC is better TEAM player/maker

2. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I love T-MAC, I'm glad that he is here. But kobe is on another level than him which is just stupid but thats the way hes playing this year.

He's shooting a ton but thats what he has to do. What team in the top 6 right now has a better supporting cast than the Lakers? IMO all of them do.

We are witnessing greatness that the sport has never seen which includes Jordan.

81 Points. And he could have done it last month.

I'd bet he gets close to it again before the year is over.

The lakers will get Kobe a supporting cast eventualy and be back as title contenders but until than just watch the show.

3. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

No matter you like the guy or not, but 81 points in today's game is just AWE! Cut the guy some slack. Huge ego? Which super star doesn't have one? People complain that Yao's ego is too small. I like TMac better than Kobe, but 81 points, can we save the critism for another day? LeBron scored 50 points twice, and lost both times to crappy teams. People were amazed how a complete package LeBron was. Now Kobe scored 81 points and his team won, we are complaining he's not a team player?

Comparing to Shaq daddy, who really has a bigger ego? Kobe or Shaq's age and contract combination drove him out of L.A.? Look at Shaq in Miami, do you guys still believe that Shaq can win another ring with Kobe?

Can we just for once face the reality to admit something good is good, without that many "buts"?

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Exactly. We saw history last night. History....regardless of what you think of Kobe Bryant.

You think the headlines after he scored 100 were "Wilt should have passed more!" I doubt it.

As for the contention that Kobe doesn't make his teammates better - that's hghly debatable, and many would argue the exact opposite, with some degree of empirical justification.

http://www.82games.com/pelton13.htm

#84 SamFisher, Jan 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Kobe scores 81 in the 666th game of his career, hmm... End of days?

6. ds888

ds888 Contributing Member

yes ONLY 4 50 + point games. thats not that much at all :rolleyes:

7. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Seriously???!!! and 81 = 9 * 9 :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. lalala902102001

This just proves something that most of us already know:

Kobe is the devil.

9. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Yup. Jordan was god disguised as MJ and Kobe is Devil disguised as KB.
    Some invisible hands are choking me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

So, does that mean we will have a final showdown between God and the Devil?

11. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

I couldn't have said it better. You're the man.

12. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

alright let's settle this debate between pgabriel and tigermission

tigermission has been here since aug 2002, pgabriel dec 2002.

pgabriel loses.

and...

francis sucks.

as always if there's any questions, just see the sig.

#92 TMac640, Jan 23, 2006
  13. anitasri

anitasri Member

To add to your point- Kobe is trying to get back in the Advertising market- he needs to create the buzz! That is the only reason period!

You think stars like Mcgrady, AI - heck even Ray Allen and Paul Pierce can go off !

Welcome to Hollywood!

14. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

The TMac vs. Kobe argument is pretty interesting. Other than the fact that they're the league's two premier swingmen, their offensive games are fairly different.

Honestly, Kobe's game reminds me the most of Jordan's. He's a very physically aggressive player and attacks the basket a lot with explosiveness. He doesn't quite have the turnaround that MJ had, but he's still deadly from midrange. He's also able to take physical punishment in the paint, and he has an uncanny ability to hit circus shots in traffic.

McGrady...ever since his days in Orlando has operated primarily off of silky maneuvers, misdirection, and finesse. He's deceptively quick for a guy his size, and if you watch him closely he relies a lot on ball fakes and hesitation dribbles when getting past his man. He just does all it so flawlessly and smoothly it fools everyone. However, he doesn't have the same ability Kobe does when it comes to finishing in traffic. McGrady does better shooting range than Kobe though. As a result you can plainly see that McGrady incorporates long-range jumpers in his game a lot more than Kobe does. He also operates along the baseline a bit more because of his size.

Kobe's game may not be as smooth looking, but it relies less on being "in the zone" than McGrady's. During the Shaq/Kobe days he finished second to McGrady two years in a row in scoring (with only a 2 point differential). It's no surprise that Kobe is capable of being a more prolific scorer when he's the go-to guy on his team.

Say whatever you want about Kobe's ego or personality. You can't knock his talent. Scoring 81 in a game is absolutely impressive. I'm betting some of you couldn't score 81 in 48 minutes even if nobody was guarding you. ;)

#94 Kyrodis, Jan 23, 2006
  15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

1. Kobe
    2.Tracy
    3. LaBron

Kobe is playing for his place in history...not just regular history but G.O.A.T. history. I cant say the same for Tmac, it might not be in him or he is hampered by injuries. Wilt played in a different, with no three pointers, and he got hammered alot. Kobes mid range game is better than tmac , but tmac' around the rim and three point is better. When it is all said and done Kobe will go down in the top 3 replacing Bird, and Tmac will be the next George Gervin

Kobe's performance was awesome . He told the whole raptors team: This aint what you want!!!!

16. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

You know who T-mac really reminds me of? Bird. They've both got this "ballsy" pull up from anywhere attitude. They both have great vision and can pass astonishingly well. Tracy's not the level of shooter that Bird was, but they both get into unstoppable grooves where you feel like they can't miss. Bird was a better rebounder and lowpost scorer, but Tracy's a much better defender. Otherwise, they've got a lot in common, including being wonderful clutch performers. Of course they also have a history of back troubles, so maybe the similarities go a bit too far. :eek:

17. tigermission1

I concur. I do think that they're different players as much as people lke to compare them to one another. I also agree that Kobe finishes inside better (larely due to his body strength) and more frequently settles for the mid-range jumper than McGrady. I also think that Kobe has a remarkable endurance that allows him to score on consistent basis throughout the game, while McGrady tends to score in spurts and tends to do a little of everything throughout the game, usually settling for passing and rebounding and doing other little things early in the game and taking more of the scoring load towards the end. I also agree that McGrady does have better range on his shot, and I would also add is a better all-around player due to his court-vision and his lengthy arms, which allow him to do some things better than Kobe can.

I have maintained all along that these guys are unique and should be appreciated for what they can do. I really do think NBA fans of today have it pretty darn good, because they get to watch so many unique players that put on a show every night.

I am not sure if this is an accurate analogy or not, but if I were to compare Kobe and McGrady, I would say that Kobe is similar to an Albert Pujols who will put the hurt on you offensively and completely take over games with his bat, which is the deadliest in major leagues. On the other hand, I would say McGrady is more like an Alex Rodriguez, a five-tool guy who can do everything very well and is at the top of the league in every imaginable skill level. Of course, in this scenario, McGrady would be similar to a hobbled A-Rod. :)

18. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

Not a chance.

Tracy is not on the same level as Kobe right now, in fact, nobody is in a LONG LONG LONG time.

19. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

If you are making over 60% of your shots, then why share it?

20. tigermission1

Well, that's a good point you bring up, because then it begs the question: Have you EVER heard someone compare a black player to a Larry Bird? Doesn't that say something about how racially-conscious we are? I do think McGrady and Bird are comparable more so than any White player that's ever played in this league. I would say Bird was a less athletic version of McGrady, and probably could've had a longer career if it wasn't for his injuries, so you're right, they might have too much in common.