1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artest Alert!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Why are 'injuries' such a challenging concept to comprehend?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Okay, here is my suggestion:

Houston Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    David Wesley
    6-1 SG from Baylor
    10.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.2 apg in 34.9 minutes
    Stromile Swift
    6-9 PF from Louisiana State
    9.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.5 apg in 22.6 minutes
    Derek Anderson
    6-5 SG from Kentucky
    10.8 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.6 apg in 29.1 minutes
    1st round draft pick in 2006 (top 5 protected)
    2nd round draft pick in 2008
    Incoming
    Austin Croshere
    6-10 PF from Providence
    8.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.2 apg in 24.9 minutes
    Ron Artest
    6-7 SF from St. John's
    19.4 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 2.2 apg in 37.8 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -3.0 ppg, -1.1 rpg, and -2.9 apg.

Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Austin Croshere
    6-10 PF from Providence
    8.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.2 apg in 24.9 minutes
    Ron Artest
    6-7 SF from St. John's
    19.4 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 2.2 apg in 37.8 minutes
    Incoming
    Derek Anderson
    6-5 SG from Kentucky
    10.8 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.6 apg in 29.1 minutes
    Al Harrington
    6-9 SF from St. Patrick's (HS)
    18.9 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 3.2 apg in 37.0 minutes
    Tony Delk
    6-2 from Kentucky
    No games yet played in 2005/06
    Houston's 2nd round draft pick in 2008
    Change in team outlook: +2.0 ppg, +0.4 rpg, and +2.4 apg.

Atlanta Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Al Harrington
    6-9 SF from St. Patrick's (HS)
    18.9 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 3.2 apg in 37.0 minutes
    Tony Delk
    6-2 from Kentucky
    No games yet played in 2005/06
    Incoming
    David Wesley
    6-1 SG from Baylor
    10.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.2 apg in 34.9 minutes
    Stromile Swift
    6-9 PF from Louisiana State
    9.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 0.5 apg in 22.6 minutes
    Houston's 1st round draft pick in 2006 (top 5 protected)
    Change in team outlook: +1.0 ppg, +0.7 rpg, and +0.5 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Houston and Indiana being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Houston and Indiana had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID
    Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario. The Trade ID for this scenario is 2821958.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The most recent article of "inside the NBA" (as seen in Sports Illustrated; sorry, I saw the newsstand edition and am too lazy to find if the same article is online) talks about Kiki Vandeweghe's problems this year in Denver (injuries have taken their toll on the Nuggets, too, as we know).

Basically, it goes like this: Indiana didn't want any of Denver's grotesque long-term contracts (Kenyon Martin), so the instructions were to go find a third team with a player we want: specifically, Atlanta (Al Harrington), Lakers (Lamar Odom) or Memphis (Mike Miller).

Which basically puts us exactly where we were before: what does Atlanta want that we have; what are we willing to give up? How tough will it to be to deal with Atlanta, perhaps in a face-saving mode, given how badly they handled the Johnson trade?

4. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

A package including young prospect(with reasonable contract) plus some picks will entice Atlanta.

Atlanta's team is far from playoffs so they are still in the process of rebuiding the team.

Last offseason,they signed Joe Johnson with MAX. There is little chance they will sign Harrington with a big contract.

They will try to get something back of Harrington before the deadline.

5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

How about:

TO PACERS:
    Al Harrington
    David Wesley

TO HAWKS:
    Stromile Swift
    Moochie Norris
    Rox's 1st rounder this year

TO ROCKETS:
    Ron Artest
    Austin Croshere

Pacers get Harrington and cap relief.
    Hawks need a PG and they get a PF to replace Harrington, who'll leave this summer anyway. They also get a good draft pick.
    Rockets get Artest and a replacement PF who can stretch the defense, but don't have to give up Head.

6. Possum

Possum Member

If we really want Artest we would pretty much have to give them head if we arent going to put T Mac or Ming in the mix!

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

tony delk isn't getting any minutes at all in atlanta. i'd say it's safe to assume they're not going to want moochie.

8. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

lemme be the first to say it with great emphasis

i dislike artest, moreso than i detest mike james.

trading for artest would be a very big mistake.

maybe this is a future classic moment, where what i say will come back to bite me, but i highly doubt that.

SAY NO TO THE ROTTWEILER

9. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

:D During these stressful times we all need Head.

10. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Just f*ckin trade him already. Even if the rockets dont take him, someone please take him.

He is holding up everyone and the rockets have been able to do jack ever since. We havent been able to make any changes to this roster because every team in the nba wants their shot at Artest. The rockets could have made a move quite a while ago but it seems like we wont. By the time someone takes him, it will probably be too late.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You're obviously very poor at gauging talent. Either that or you're letting your personal feelings cloud your judgement with your only reasoning being of how you "dislike" certain players.

At least make an argument for your case.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Why is Indiana getting rid of him? Are they poor at gauging talent? No. They're sick of his antics. There's my argument.

13. anitasri

anitasri Member

DR Dunk- I respectfully disagree. The debate is not about his talent- and as you put it Indiana may be tired of his "antics". So why did they not dump him right after the Detroit episode- which is what everyone remembers about Artest?

Indiana has Danny Granger- and now Artest is expendable- this way they can get out of luxury tax, get something close to Artest and maybe a draft pick or two. The problem is that Indiana made the dumb move to make this public before the trade deadline! Talk about a dumb way to "negotiate"!

14. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

I think it was Artest who went public first, the organization had no choice but to follow up.

I fear that if Artest came here, it's only a matter of (short) time that he picks up a fight with the coach or his teamates. Then his trading values will only go way down and Rockets will once again in a poor position.

15. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

Well if every team said "if" about every player then no deals would be made. In other words, you wont know unless you are willing to take the risk on a player like that. Did the bulls take a huge risk by adding the even more combustible Dennis Rodman to the mix? definitely! did it pay off and was he a major player on their championship runs? yes

16. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

Adding Artest will add fire to this team. T-mac and yao are two nice guy at court, for a team to win, you need one or two bad guys.

17. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

I havent read every post, so I dont know if this has been said before, but arn't Artest and JVG going to have some major issues with eachother?! JVG is someone who demands discipline and toeing the line, where as Artest seems to have a problem with authority. Its all hypothetical, but I think Van Guindy would be more than happy to sit Artest on the bench if he didnt do exactly what he wanted.

I think Artest is a good player, I just don't know if he is a good fit for this team. Allthough we aren't winning yet because of all the injuries, I think we have a pretty good team chemistry, and I think some negative like Artest could be a bit of a cancer to the guys mentality.

18. Furious Jam

Moochie is more of a throw-in. Tony Delk isn't really a PG anyway.

19. Furious Jam

I think JVG is big on effort, and Artest brings plenty of that. JVG doesn't strike me as the kind of coach who has a rule for everything. If he could handle Spreewell, he can probably handle Artest.

20. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

my argument? if our team couldnt handle the tiny head cases liek eddie griff, and steve francis, how nice would it be for our team to go out and get the dennis rodman of this era? pretty hypocrytical of the team, and also of the fans. plus, he has this thing where he plays when he desires, and at other times, just tanks it.

Ron artest is also very overrated. there is not one thing other than defense that this guy can do time and again. He can do a whole bunch of things decently, but given the playing time, the plays, and the space that artest is given, so can someone like swift.