1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gary Kubiak AND Al Saunders?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by geeimsobored, Jan 13, 2006.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Wow so potentially two offensive minded guys on our staff?

Vitt gets his shot at Jets' job
    BY KEN BERGER
    STAFF WRITER

January 12, 2006

Rams interim coach Joe Vitt interviewed yesterday for the Jets' head-coaching position, leaving in-house candidates Mike Heimerdinger and Mike Westhoff on deck.

Former Vikings coach Mike Tice, Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis, and Panthers running backs coach Jim Skipper remain on the Jets' radar.

Vitt, 51, a friend of general manager Terry Bradway, went 4-7 this season after Mike Martz fell ill. If Vitt does not get the job, he could be a candidate for defensive coordinator, hastening the departure of Donnie Henderson, who has interviewed as head coach with the Jets and Saints and is in the mix for the St. Louis vacancy.

Meanwhile, Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders is expected to get a second interview for the Texans' coaching position, but that job is believed to be going to Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. If that happens, Saunders could wind up being the Texans' offensive coordinator.

Such a scenario would affect the Jets, because the Broncos then might be interested in luring Heimerdinger to be their offensive coordinator.

This raises a question regarding the coaching staff that Herman Edwards left behind: Are the coaches expected to fulfill their contracts, or should they be free to pursue opportunities that currently are being snapped up by their peers? In his news conference addressing the Edwards situation this week, Bradway said the team expects the coaches to honor their contracts. But one industry expert familiar with the Jets' situation said Edwards' bizarre departure could be viewed as effectively terminating the contracts of the assistant coaches.

"It invalidates coaches' contracts," the person said. "Once the head coach leaves, all bets are off."

If Henderson, Heimerdinger and Westhoff are passed over for the Jets' job, they will be at a severe disadvantage in finding new positions with other teams if the new coach doesn't want to retain them. Just another unforeseen by-product of the team's messy divorce with Edwards.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Link? EDIT: Thanks.

As awesome as it sounds, I don't know if I can fathom both of these guys on the same staff. I think they both need more or less total control of the offense for their style to work. If they could somehow be meshed what a beast of a playbook that would be though.

#2 DieHard Rocket, Jan 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Imagine Kubiak, Saunders, and Grey, on one staff.

5. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

McNair said he wanted the best coach and coaching staff, he may very well be paying top dollar to get some of these guys.

6. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I'm glad that the Texans are serious about winning games, not just competing. Capers could never fix the offensive line. Casserly is good at getting the players the coach wants; he might not be the best talent evaluator, but he will give the coach every bit of information to make the decision.

Finally there will be some creativity in the offense. And if Bush is going to be drafted, the highlights will be plentiful. Not to mention, Andre Johnson, perennial pro bowler; now that teams will have to concentrate so much more on Reggie Bush!!

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Run Oreinted guys
    and
    they don't need GREAT backs to run
    or
    do they MAKE them great

Rocket River

8. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

How cool would that be? Both Kubiak and Saunders? Man I hope so. Draft Bush, solidify the OL in the draft or FA and keep Davis. Davis and Bush could both break a 1,000 yards rushing and if Carr ever wakes up, the Texans could have a good offensive team.

9. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Today's paper has McClain saying Kubiak would be HC and OC. I say bring in Saunders. Could you imagine the chiefs passing attack blended with the Broncos rushing attack :eek:

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The problem with them both is they are different coaches. Look what happened in Baltimore when they tried to get offensive minds together in Neuheissel (sp), Fassel and Billick.

I'd much rather Kubiak just bring the O-Line and running backs coach from Denver which it's speculated he could do. Also, Jim Bates will be free to search for a new job soon as well. I'd love him to be our defensive coordinator.

11. Toast

Toast Member

Hell, I'm just thinking about the Chief's rushing attack prior to Priest Holmes going down.

Did that team even NEED to throw the football???

If we could do something similar to Priest & Larry Johnson with Domanic Davis and Reggie Bush, then hmm, maybe I'm in the Reggie Bush camp after all!

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Drool.

That would be an awesome coaching staff, and it would make me want the Texans to take Reggie Bush moreso then VY. With that staff and Bush we would be ready to compete for the playoffs next year.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

except the broncos running modus operandi has been to pass up on drafting a RB with a first round pick....they've had all that success ont the groud while not burning 1st rounders.

the highest picked running back by the broncos lately...portis...yeah, they traded him after his second season. mike anderson, reuben droughns, even terrell davis. none of them required spending a first round pick.

14. justtxyank

I'm not sure the Broncos have ever been in a position to draft a top running back though considering their winning ways. I highly doubt they'd pass on Barry Sanders if they had the chance.

15. MadMax

yeah...but i'm not just talking about the top of the draft...i'm saying they get guys in the later rounds.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

ESPN Insider is saying that the Raiders are possibly close to signing Al Saunders as their HC. Oh well, I don't think that Kubiak would really need any help on the offensive side of the ball anyway.

Now we need to bring in Jerry Grey as DC.

17. justtxyank

True. But I think that more to do with them knowing the kind of guy that will do well in their system that other teams undervalue.

18. MadMax

right..and i'm assuming that system will be exported to Houston soon.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

GO PATRIOTS !!

:)

20. justtxyank

Sure. But I think that if they had the opportunity to draft a guy like a Barry Sanders or a Marshall Faulk to put into their system they would have jumped at the opportunity.

I'm really just saying that we don't know if Kubiak wants to use a 1st round pick on Bush if he thinks he's special or not. Although the article in the Chronicle said EVERY coach interviewed said take Bush over Carr.