1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets cut dead weight???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gummi Clutch, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I remember Mattj saying the rockets roster was pretty much set, and that it would be kinda hard to make moves with the situation we are in.
    but,
    0-13 without Tmac, we are going downhill fast.
    mulling it over in my head I was thinking what could be done to salvage the rest of this season.
    what would you guys think of cutting and buying out Sura, and Barry?
    they are two of my favorite players, but I dont think we can afford to wait around on them to get healthy. Barry will most likely retire after this season, and who knows if Sura will be able to get back to what he once was. Even if he were, it may be too late for us this season.

Im also in favor of trading our expiring contracts; Wesley, Moochie, Barry (sorry Jon I know your tired of moving), to get a guy who could lead this team in the time of our superstars absense and rehab. Is there a guy out there on the market that could put this team on his back to get us back in the playoff race?

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

If you trade all those guys away, then you're officially tanking unless you get better talent in return; if they're picks then you're merely acknowledging that yes we're building for the future, which IMO is not such a bad thing, and the sooner we get started on rebuilding the supporting cast the better IMO.

You won't be able to get any player who's still available at this point of the season to actually come in and 'carry' the team on his back. IMO, if Yao and McGrady get healthy quickly and come back and play, and then we start making a good run and climb out of the hole we dug ourselves, the Rockets' will likely move to acquire a Spreewell or a Big Dog type of player to help them get over the hump and make a strong push into the playoffs. However, if we continue to suck well into February (following the ASG that is), then the season will certainly be over and we will need to cut our losses and rebuild as fast as we can for next season.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I didn't hear or see MattJ but IMHO what he said is 98% on the money. This situation will remain status quo because we are not going to have someone learn an offense and VG's defense this far into the season. And also because waived or cut players still hit the cap and that has LTax implications.

The team was built to support an inside-out Yao-TMac tandem. The Rox won't change that mid-stream especially when it is more costly to do so.

The only reason I left 2% open is that there is still the possibility of adding someone at the trade deadline. But I'm not holding my breath because expiring contracts only have value to teams seeking cap space in 2006. The vast majority of teams with space (ATL & CHA are 2 of the 4) are already in re-build mode. Those w/o space wouldn't be hugely impact by Wesleys $6m. IOW, if a team already has $50+m committed for 06-07, $6m is about the same as an MLE. And at least 22 of 30 teams have that amount committed for 2006-07.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

If buy the trade deadline we are clearly out of it, we should trade Wesley. Wesley could help some team and he may bring back a draft pick or two. Moochie really has no value other than his expiring contract. Maybe the Nets get desperate for Stro and offer a good package.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i agree for the most part.

we should wait 'till the all-star break. february has a very easy schedule. if some how tmac and yao get back early we might be able to put a win streak together. at that timewe might be able to pull ourselves only a few games out of the playoffs which would mean we can save the season.

however, at that time if we are clearly out of it as you said, then it's time to trade ending contracts.

i wouldn't trade sura, barry, or deke. let them retire here. wesley, moochie, and DA can go. i don't know what we can get in return but hopefully it's something that builds for the future.

6. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I agree with the sentiments that a trade won't really help this team this year, unless it's for someone who already knows the system (Sprewell? ...pretty unlikely). The only other alternative is to go after a star and simplify your gameplan, and we don't have the chips to get into that kind of deal.

At some point, if we can't turn things around, it's going to change from "who can help us win NOW" to "who can help us win next year". That's when the 2 percent chance of a trade goes up drastically.

7. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Umm, we just lost to the Bobcats and the Kings. It dont get much easier. :rolleyes:

And we play the Hornets on Saturday :GULP:!!! :(

8. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

i think we have a really good team already. if most of our starters wern't injured the remaining players would be able to play there natural roles and minutes and we would have a problem. Its impossible to have a whole team full of of roleplayers and allstars, well, maybe except for the Spurs...........

9. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

cut deadweight ...and by all means get paul pierce

10. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

not this crap again...

11. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Someone should also point out that the conference isn't nearly as strong as it was in the past. I remember back in what, 2000 or 2001, the Rockets were 45-37 and still did NOT make the playoffs. Right now, the #8 team is 18-18. .500 ball is certainly doable if TMAC comes back soon. I wouldn't count us out yet, but post-ASG will certainly give a better indication as to where we stand.

12. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Your post advocates a

(*) trade ( ) FA signing ( ) draft ( ) personnel change ( ) game strategy change

in order to solve the Rockets' problems. Your idea will not work. Here is why it won't work. (One or more of the following may apply to your particular idea, and it may have other flaws influenced by recent league rule changes).

[ ] It will create problems for us offensively
    [ ] It will make our defense weaker
    [x] Team chemistry will be fractured as a result
    [x] We can't afford it
    [x] The other team(s) would never agree to it
    [ ] The NBA would never allow it to happen
    [ ] It would be unpopular with the fans
    [ ] Requires us to give up too much
    [ ] We already have enough talent/depth at that position
    [ ] That player would never agree to such a deal
    [x] Our team owner would never pay for it
    [ ] This does not help us in the long run

Specifically, your plan fails to account for

[ ] NBA league rules expressly prohibiting it
    [x] Salary cap limitations
    [ ] Lack of depth/options on the trade/FA market at that position
    [ ] Known limitations of our roster players
    [ ] Our team's identity and game strategy
    [ ] Lack of rebounding
    [ ] Lack of offensive production
    [ ] Need for a true point guard
    [ ] Lack of a dependable 3rd scoring option
    [x] Lack of defensive ability
    [ ] Lack of inside/low post presence
    [ ] Lack of perimeter shooting
    [ ] Loss of athleticism
    [x] Player's history of excessive ball-hogging
    [ ] Inconsistency in the production of player(s) involved
    [ ] History of injury problems
    [x] Poor leadership qualities
    [ ] Depletion of youth on the roster
    [ ] Lack of league/playoff experience
    [x] Attitude and personality problems with player(s) involved
    [ ] The need to add more cash to Les Alexander's wallet
    [ ] Overblown media hype
    [ ] Poor matchups with potential playoff opponents
    [ ] Poor depth of next year's draft pool
    [ ] The excessive conservatism of our front office

And the following philosophical objections may also apply:

[x] Ideas similar to yours are easy to come up with, yet have never worked in the past
    [x] You can't win a championship without good defense
    [ ] You can't win a championship without dependable offensive options
    [ ] You can't build a successful team without strong chemistry
    [ ] We only have a limited amount of time to build around our superstars
    [ ] Too many long-term contracts hurt you in the long run
    [ ] It's a dumb idea to attempt to rebuild a team in the middle of the season
    [ ] Players should be allowed to play to their own strengths
    [ ] Feel-good measures do nothing to solve the problem
    [ ] Doing it this way doesn't make us strong enough
    [ ] Tanking is for losers, and results in a losing culture that we may never recover from

Furthermore, this is what I think about you:

[x] Sorry dude, but I don't think it would work.
    [ ] This is a stupid idea, and you're a stupid person for suggesting it.
    [ ] Nice try, moron! I'm going to find out where you live and burn your house down!

13. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Seriously? You REALLY need to stop with the Paul Pierce stuff. There's more to a successful basketball team than just stockpiling talent at every position. Make whatever argument you want about starting Pierce and McGrady at 2 and 3, but it makes no sense whatsoever. They're both swingmen that need the ball.

Why the hell do we need a third max contract for someone that's a lesser version of what we already have? :rolleyes:

14. ubigred

it seems that front office cant get it done anyway...so why not just try to win off of talent.

15. Kyrodis

Right...and how do you propose we get him? Those idiotic fanboy "All my team's crap for your team's star player" trades don't work in real life. I'd seriously like to see you suggest a reasonable one.

If by some miracle you come up with a trade that Boston would agree with, it would most likely mean having to take on LaFrentz's monstrous contract as well. That means we'll be over the freakin' salary cap with only 4 players. I'm sure our team would be a lot better then. :p

16. ubigred

well the talent JVG has acquired on this current team is horrible, despite injuries. This is a wasted year, which means there are only four more for the Tmac/Yao era. Time is of the essence and Cheapskate Les needs to realize that fan support is fading as well as our title chances.

17. Kyrodis

That's easy to say when it's not your money you're dealing with. Just so you know, Les Alexander has the lowest net worth out of all 30 team owners in the NBA. Yet, Houston has the 7th highest player payroll.

He and CD may have trouble evaluating talent, but Les is definitely not "cheap" as far as how much he's willing to pay with regard to how much money he actually has.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

JHo or Swift + Baxter for Zaza and Delk would help the Rockets now and in the future.

Delk could be this season's Barry/Wesley. He's wasting away unused on the Hawks bench. Zaza mightn't have the potential to be an All Star but he's ready to grab those rebounds, score some point, block some shots (whether it be at PF or C) now.

Hawk's frontcourt gets more depth.

19. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, they should cut dead weight. Tank the season. Draft top 3. Any one of those guys would help us immediately, but I like what a power forward like La Marcus Aldridge does as best value.

Trade targets should be value players. We will need to fill a team with some adequate NBA role players. Someone like Al Harrington for Swift and Alston would be great. He's nothing special, but he's a useful, coachable player. He can play 3-4, and give Tracy rest and help out at power forward.

Swift and Alston are duds, not keepers. Trade them.
    Howard may play himself into value. Trade him, if possible, to a contender, for picks if necessary. We won't want him in 2 years. Get out while the getting is good. Perhaps package with Wesley.
    If there's a deal for Deke and Barry to San Antonio, Miami, or Detroit, and they want to go get a ring, let them go for picks. They deserve it.
    Send the expirings away for something. At least get a pick. Wesley can help a playoff team. Moochie - has an expiring contract to throw in. If someone wants DA, they can have him.

Buy Sura out now, if he really can't ever play again. Get it over with. That's another roster spot.

Gut the team, fire the coach, and start over. No reason to put off firing the coach, either. He's a bad fit for Yao and Tmac, and he won't get better. He is who he is. The first loss is the best loss. Take a little time and pick a 2-way coach that can handle vet stars and run an offense. Paul Silas wouldn't be a bad fit. There will be plenty of guys that want the job.

If we can pick up 2-3 players in trade, draft a lotto guy, and make a MLE pick up in the summer, we can field a real team, with Tmac, Yao and Head. We'd get 8 quality young guys with good contracts. Add to that a few extra picks we pick up, and vet mins. We could feel good about that team, and there'd be a lot less pressure night-in, night out, on Yao and Tmac. We want them to play through 7 years of contract, not burn out immediately.

20. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Welcome to the fray...

Your post advocates a

(x) trade (x) FA signing (x) draft (x) personnel change ( ) game strategy change

in order to solve the Rockets' problems. Your idea will not work. Here is why it won't work. (One or more of the following may apply to your particular idea, and it may have other flaws influenced by recent league rule changes).

[x] It will create problems for us offensively
    [x] It will make our defense weaker
    [x] Team chemistry will be fractured as a result
    [x] We can't afford it
    [ ] The other team(s) would never agree to it
    [ ] The NBA would never allow it to happen
    [x] It would be unpopular with the fans
    [x] Requires us to give up too much
    [ ] We already have enough talent/depth at that position
    [ ] That player would never agree to such a deal
    [ ] Our team owner would never pay for it
    [ ] This does not help us in the long run

Specifically, your plan fails to account for

[ ] NBA league rules expressly prohibiting it
    [ ] Salary cap limitations
    [ ] Lack of depth/options on the trade/FA market at that position
    [ ] Known limitations of our roster players
    [x] Our team's identity and game strategy
    [x] Lack of rebounding
    [d] Lack of offensive production
    [x] Need for a true point guard
    [ ] Lack of a dependable 3rd scoring option
    [x] Lack of defensive ability
    [x] Lack of inside/low post presence
    [x] Lack of perimeter shooting
    [ ] Loss of athleticism
    [ ] Player's history of excessive ball-hogging
    [ ] Inconsistency in the production of player(s) involved
    [ ] History of injury problems
    [x] Poor leadership qualities
    [ ] Depletion of youth on the roster
    [x] Lack of league/playoff experience
    [ ] Attitude and personality problems with player(s) involved
    [x] The need to add more cash to Les Alexander's wallet
    [ ] Overblown media hype
    [ ] Poor matchups with potential playoff opponents
    [x] Poor depth of next year's draft pool
    [x] The excessive conservatism of our front office

And the following philosophical objections may also apply:

[x] Ideas similar to yours are easy to come up with, yet have never worked in the past
    [x] You can't win a championship without good defense
    [ ] You can't win a championship without dependable offensive options
    [x] You can't build a successful team without strong chemistry
    [x] We only have a limited amount of time to build around our superstars
    [ ] Too many long-term contracts hurt you in the long run
    [x] It's a dumb idea to attempt to rebuild a team in the middle of the season
    [ ] Players should be allowed to play to their own strengths
    [x] Feel-good measures do nothing to solve the problem
    [x] Doing it this way doesn't make us strong enough
    [x] Tanking is for losers, and results in a losing culture that we may never recover from

Furthermore, this is what I think about you:

[ ] Sorry dude, but I don't think it would work.
    [ ] This is a stupid idea, and you're a stupid person for suggesting it.
    [x] Nice try, moron! I'm going to find out where you live and burn your house down!

I'm starting to fall in love with this form.