1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade Rumour

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by WasabiTheNinjaPimp, Jul 22, 2001.

1. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

It is being rumoured that after todays game the astros will announce that they have acquired Al Leiter in exchange for Ward, Dotel, and a player to be named later.

Personally i think that if this is true it is an absolute steal....

for the Mets.

------------------
    Anyone need a C/C++/Win32/HTML/PHP/SQL/Java/Perl/x86 coder?

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Yeah. That's a bit much for a pitcher who won't be here long. However, Dotel hates the pen and just stinks as starter. Ward deserves to play. So what ya gonna do....

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

3. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

DOtel hates the pen? Not according to him. He's changed his tune since he became one of the best setup men in the entire league.

------------------

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

**** the Astros if they make this trade.

Why not throw in Elarton?

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited July 22, 2001).]

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Throw in Oswalt as well. [​IMG] I would not throw in Dotel, he's been pitching very well.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Leiter will be great next year.

He always pitches good one year, then crappy the next. It's a vicious cycle with him.

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

7. gr8-1

He's actually pitched well this year. I think he's a solid pitcher, but it seems as if he doesn't want to be here.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

8. gr8-1

wasabi, where did you hear this rumor ?

------------------

9. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

The Astros ESPN message board, posted by a mets fan. So take it with a VERY LARGE grain of salt, but it seemed like an interesting subject of discussion [​IMG]

------------------

10. gr8-1

hehe. Yeah, and seeing as how Dotel is pitching right now, I don't see him as being part of any deal.

------------------

11. EddieGriffin

EddieGriffin Member

Yeah, lets trade one of our best relievers and a young stud waiting for an opportunity to breakout for somebody who has been quoted as saying it would suck to play in Houston.

I'll tell you what happens if the Astros make this trade. Leiter leaves at first opportunity, the quality of the bullpen is lowered, and if Alou leaves we're going to need to find another everyday outfielder.

Not a good deal for the 'Stros. Personally, I would not want to see Ward traded unless Alou has been signed to a contract extension.

12. Colby

Colby Member

No chance of the Astros giving up future building blocks for a 1 year rental. Not a chance. Nope. Never.

------------------
    T-Pooh and BahDakota went up the hill,
    to make a bet on a Forward.
    When it all came down,
    they were nowhere to be found.
    Now they should be drawn and quartered.

13. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

They've done really really stupid things before, so I wouldn't put it past them. Of course I agree with your assessment of the situation.

------------------

14. stringthing

stringthing Member

Man...trade Dotel!?

This guy has become a hammer in the bully. With him pitching like he has the stros can effectivley shorten games to 5-6 innings. After that, if they have the lead, its lights out. He and Wagner make a 1-2 kinda like Wettland and Rivera for the Yanks back a few seasons. Anyway seeing as how he pitched and Ward was on the bench for the full game, I kinda doubt this would go down.

------------------

15. gr8-1

Did you guys see how Dotel stared down Sosa after the K ? Love it.

------------------

16. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I didn't see that, but I have seen several instances of "attitude" that I have liked from dotel.

I have no idea why he's so good from the bullpen and so bad starting, but I don't care.

he should be untouchable as far as I'm concerned. in a way, he already is.

with lane stirring in the minors, though, I'd be more open to trading d-ward. keep alou another 1 or 2 years, get something for ward, and then watch berkman, lane and hidalgo become astros' legends while oswalt, redding, miller and hernandez make people forget who maddux, smoltz and glavine ever were.

yeah, I'd take that.

I don't know what to do about elarton, though. this year and last year have shown me SO MUCH how important confidence is to pro athletes. at that level, they're all super talented. the only thing that separates the best from the rest is confidence.

I hope scott can get his groove back. then his nickname could be stellarton.

sorry, I had to. I'm feeling whimsical this afternoon. . .

------------------
    houston rockets = 2
    utah jazz = 0

17. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

BULL****. Dotel ain't going anywhere.

------------------
    RKMAN

Proud believer of the 2001 World Champion Houston Astros.

[This message has been edited by RKMAN (edited July 22, 2001).]

18. Major

Major Member

he should be untouchable as far as I'm concerned. in a way, he already is.

Absolutely. Dotel has become the best reliever in baseball, and is also a great insurance policy should Wagner decide to leave. There's no way we trade him (I hope).

------------------
    http://www.swirve.com ... more fun than a barrel full of monkeys and midgets.

19. gr8-1

Dotel and Wags have identical stuff. 98 mph fastball, slider/curve, and 94 mph change-up. [​IMG]

As for him not being as effective as a starter, maybe it's arm stamina ? Maybe his second and third pitches aren't very strong ? It is alot harder to get the line-up out the 2nd or 3rd time around. I hope he's happy with his role. With him and Wags, we win if we have the lead in the 6th inning

------------------

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Dotel's a great addition to the bullpen. He's really taken to his role very well. If he picked up a good third pitch to add to his fastball/slider arsenal, he'd be a good starter, but as is he is a lights-out reliever. He is absolutely integral to this club, and will be even more important when it comes to the postseason.

Let Ward go, but keep Dotel.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.