1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shrub: Lowest IQ of All Presidents of Past 50 Years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by University Blue, Jul 18, 2001.

1. University Blue

Report: President Bush Has Lowest IQ of all Presidents of past 50 Years

If late night TV comedy is an indicator, then there has never been as widespread a perception that a president is not intellectually qualified for the position he holds as there is with President GW Bush.

In a report published Monday, the Lovenstein Institute of Scranton, Pennsylvania detailed its findings of a four month study of the intelligence quotient of President George W. Bush. Since 1973, the Lovenstein Institute has published it's research to the education community on each new president, which includes the famous "IQ" report among others.

According to statements in the report, there have been twelve presidents over the past 50 years, from F. D. Roosevelt to G. W. Bush who were all rated based on scholarly achievements, writings that they alone produced without aid of staff, their ability to speak with clarity, and several other psychological factors which were then scored in the Swanson/Crain system of intelligence ranking.

The study determined the following IQs of each president as accurate to within five percentage points:

147 .. Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)
    132 .. Harry Truman (D)
    122 .. Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)
    174 .. John F. Kennedy (D)
    126 .. Lyndon B. Johnson (D)
    155 .. Richard M. Nixon (R)
    121 .. Gerald Ford (R)
    175 .. James E. Carter (D)
    105 .. Ronald Reagan (R)
    098 .. George HW Bush (R)
    182 .. William J. Clinton (D)
    091 .. George W. Bush (R)

The six Republican presidents of the past 50 years had an average IQ of 115.5, with President Nixon having the highest IQ, at 155. President G.W. Bush was rated the lowest of all the Republicans with an IQ of 91. The six Democrat presidents had IQs with an average of 156, with President Clinton having the highest IQ, at 182. President Lyndon B. Johnson was rated the lowest of all the Democrats with an IQ of 126. No president other than Carter (D) has released his actual IQ, 176.

Among comments made concerning the specific testing of President GW Bush, his low ratings were due to his apparent difficulty to command the English language in public statements, his limited use of vocabulary (6,500 words for Bush versus an average of 11,000 words for other presidents), his lack of scholarly
    achievements other than a basic MBA, and an absence of any body of work
    which could be studied on an intellectual basis. The complete report documents the methods and procedures used to arrive at these ratings, including depth of sentence structure and voice stress
    confidence analysis.

"All the Presidents prior to George W. Bush had a least one book under
    their belt, and most had written several white papers during their education or early careers. Not so with President Bush," Dr. Lovenstein said. "He has no published works or writings, so in many ways that made it more difficult to arrive at an assessment. We had to rely more heavily on transcripts of his unscripted public speaking."

The Lovenstein Institute of Scranton Pennsylvania think tank includes high caliber historians, psychiatrists, sociologists, scientists in human behavior, andÊ psychologists. Among their ranks are Dr. Werner R. Lovenstein, world-renowned sociologist, and Professor Patricia F. Dilliams, a world-respected psychiatrist.

This study was commissioned on February 13, 2001 and released on July 9, 2001 to subscribing member universities and organizations within the
    education community.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

cool...I wonder if Dr. Lovenstein would test the IQs of BBS members by studying their post writings and chat transcripts.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

[​IMG] We'd make Dubya look like a Mensa member!!

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

A Yahoo! search "Werner R. Lovenstein," world renowned sociologist, produced all of six results....each having something to do with either a "Werner" or a "Lovenstein," but NONE of them having anything to do with the aforementioned.

A Yahoo! search for "Patricia F. Dilliams," world respected psychiatrist, yielded no results.

Perhaps Yahoo has a bunch of servers that are down for maintenance today. I would imagine that my own excessively low IQ would explain why I've never heard of these world renowned and respected individuals.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Of the 4 highest IQs on that list, two were impeached. The other two just sucked.

------------------
    "I guess that's YOUR theory"

6. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

John F. Kennedy sucked ?

------------------
    mgh 1924 - 2001

http://www.al-gore-2004.org/

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pole,

There is a Werner R. Loewenstein, world renowned molecular biologist, though. Maybe the author just confused the two names and made this chump extra special. [​IMG]

Why are the Dems so much higher? I think a lot of those are inflated.

And there is no way that Reagan should score higher in this kind of thing than Bush, Sr.

Heypee,

That would be a very sad report.

------------------
    Squatting on old bones and excrement and rusty iron, in a white blaze of heat, a panorama of naked idiots stretches to the horizon. Complete silence-their speech centers are destroyed-except for the crackle of sparks and the popping of singed flesh as they apply electrodes up and down the spine. White smoke of burning flesh hangs in the motionless air. A group of children have tied an idiot to a post with barbed wire and built a fire between his legs and stand watching with bestial curiosity as the flames lick his thighs. His flesh jerks in the fire with insect agony.

[This message has been edited by rimbaud (edited July 18, 2001).]

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Getting yourself assassinated can almost always overshadow your current best claim to fame….that of being the world’s best known philanderer.

It’s a shame that a later president couldn’t have had that same opportunity.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

9. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

They extrapolated Bush's IQ from public speaking appearances? [​IMG]

Does anyone actually think that an extrapolation using that method would be even remotely accurate?

And does anyone else find ironic the fact that this article, purporting to expose GW's lack of intelligence, is rife with grammatical errors? It looks like it was written by a sixth-grader.

[This message has been edited by BrianKagy (edited July 18, 2001).]

10. DaryleWard

DaryleWard Member

I really have to disagree with this stuff they call research. What if one of them had written a children's book? Would they score there IQ on that? Also it is widely known that George W. Bush has dislexia. When he gives public speeches he has most likely mixed the words while reading from a tella prompter. I also disagree with George H.W. Bush's results. The man was head of the CIA in his hay day, he is one smart cookie.

Unless I see a link of some sort or any proof beyond any shadow of the doubt, I can not believe this.

I am sorry to be pulling another Pinetree but I want to know where University blue got his info.

------------------
    Now that I have hit a 200 post count I fill my life has to come to a plateau.

Oh well.

11. dc rock

"Getting yourself assassinated can almost always overshadow your current best claim to fame….that of being the world’s best known philanderer.
    It’s a shame that a later president couldn’t have had that same opportunity."

Its a shame President Clinton wasnt shot??

Wow! you're sick.

------------------
    mgh 1924 - 2001

12. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I pity you, and suggest that you eat more fish. There is an obvious disconnect going on somewhere in the vast emptiness between your ears.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

13. BrianKagy

Where the **** do you get the idea that he was specifically talking about Clinton?

And I think it was pretty obvious that Pole was being ironic. Nobody would wish for a President to be shot.

14. dc rock

Hmmm, let me think, which later president is known for having affairs?

------------------
    mgh 1924 - 2001

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pole,

Whether in seriousness or jest, such a comment is in bad taste...as is defending it.

------------------
    Squatting on old bones and excrement and rusty iron, in a white blaze of heat, a panorama of naked idiots stretches to the horizon. Complete silence-their speech centers are destroyed-except for the crackle of sparks and the popping of singed flesh as they apply electrodes up and down the spine. White smoke of burning flesh hangs in the motionless air. A group of children have tied an idiot to a post with barbed wire and built a fire between his legs and stand watching with bestial curiosity as the flames lick his thighs. His flesh jerks in the fire with insect agony.

16. BrianKagy

Pretty obvious he's referring to Kennedy. I read the implication as being that it's (sarcastically) unfortunate that no later president was assassinated so that his negative reputation(s) would be subsequently ignored. But I can see where the Clinton inference can be made. Pretty obvious in hindsight.

And what a surprise, Rimbaud thinks something I'm doing is in poor taste. There's a shocker.

17. BahDakota

BahDakota Member

Clinton 182? Hillary or Bill?

[​IMG]

------------------
    How long do I have to endure this ?

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Oh come on, I mean, I laugh myself to sleep everynight thinking about Reagan and his alzheimers.

Jeez, just thinking about it right now, I can hardly type.

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of Uma Thurman.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Don't forget Bush II's useable IQ is further lowered by dyslexia and attention deficit disorder. Or do you think this was already factored in?

------------------

20. haven

haven Member

That list makes me suspicious because of the former Bush's IQ. I didn't like the guy a ton, but I do have quite a bit of respect for him. Also, I read somewhere else (don't remember where) that only two Presidents were probably geniuses (above 150), and those were Thomas Jefferson and Woodrow Wilson. Don't know how they figured that out.

As for Reagan... wasn't it pretty well documented that his Alzheimers was affecting him greatly by his 2nd term? That would drastically affect any surmise as to his IQ. I wonder if it took a considerable dip from term-to-term [​IMG].

I also wonder how they'd factor in speech writers, campaign style, etc. Once upon a time, candidates didn't "talk down" to the people like they do now. All of these "town meetings" cause them to use less vocabulary, etc.

MadMax: I actually like Nixon [​IMG]. Sure, he was sleazy, but most of his decisions seem to have been good in regards to policy. Why do you dislike Carter? he seems very... average, to me. And he was the most ethical person to ever take office [​IMG].

Don't need a study to convince me that Shrub's an imbecile, though!

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

[This message has been edited by haven (edited July 18, 2001).]