1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao has surgery, out "several weeks"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by booshan, Dec 19, 2005.

1. droxford

droxford Member

thank you!

Dr. Rumack: We've go to get this man to a hospital!
    Striker: A hospital?!? What is it?
    Dr. Rumack: It's a big building with patients.

2. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

I feel YAO absence actually put more impact on oppn team 's confidence: now every team thinks they have chance to beat us. jUST like TMAC out.

3. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

I would like to see a round up of our unjured players, and when they might be coong back. Does anybody know?

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Comprehensive Injury Report

5. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

Was it over when the Japaneses invaded France?

6. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I swear that it was Saddem that was tried at Nuremberg.

7. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

It's Belushi ... kiddos.

8. SunsRocketsfan

lol... i see i have a fellow Airplane fan.. . haha i love that movie!! laugh my ass off everytime i see it

Rumack: Captain, how soon can you land?

Captain Oveur: I can't tell.

Rumack: You can tell me. I'm a doctor.

Captain Oveur: No. I mean I'm just not sure.

Rumack: Well, can't you take a guess?

Captain Oveur: Well, not for another two hours.

Rumack: You can't take a guess for another two hours?

9. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Have you ever seen a grown man naked? Do you like movies about gladiators?

10. xiayun78

xiayun78 Member

So by Yahoo's game report, Yao is out for at least six weeks?

11. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well according to what I gathered from reports/articles on Chinese website

Yao Ming's problem with his left toe had always been there through out last year/summer. Remembered that he missed 3 to 4 of those preseason matches when his toe nail fell off ?

During the early season when TMAC was out, Yao Ming kept playing and had to use ice water mixed with anti-biotics to wash his toes/feet right after every match.

But during the recent 6-game road trip, he had been stepped repeatedly on his infected toe by opponents that it had created cracks that let the bacteria to get into his bone.

There was an analogy given in the following sina.com article that if his right toe is like a chopstick, his left toe was like a round-head carrot.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2005-12-21/11491948310.shtml

It got so bad that right after the defeat by the LA Clippers, he could not even walk properly and had to be assisted by TMAC's body guards to the team bus.

So JVG decided to send him right back to Houston for medical inspection.

Right after his inspection, Yao Ming was thinking of returning immediately to Toyota Centre for his strength and conditioning/shooting practice, as he thought it not serious. But the doctor stopped him, and went ahead for a surgery.

Yao Ming said he is not yet sure how soon he could return to play, as it depends on doctor's advice and the speed of recuperation, but he wants to be able to return as soon as possible.

But as it stands now, it is UNLIKELY that Yao Ming can return to court to play BEFORE All Stars in mid February.

According to the following sina.com article:-

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2005-12-22/12241950386.shtml

During the press conference at the Memorial Hermann Texas Medical Center in Houston, Tom Clanton, the physician that operated on Yao Ming's left toe indicated that Yao Ming's left toe had developed from just skin infection into osteomyelitis, and luckily it was only limited to the bone of the left big toe, and had not spread into the other parts of his left foot.

He also indicated that Yao Ming will have to be closely monitored and take anti-biotics to have his left toe slowly healed. Normally it will take 6 ~ 8 weeks BEFORE it heals, and for him to resume training and playing again.

So probably he will miss the 2006 NBA All Stars currently scheduled February 17 ~ 19 in Houston, which is EXACTLY 8 weeks from now, and will not be resuming training/playing until end February/early March.

12. Glyyde

Glyyde Member

read from some chinese website that Yao might be out for 30 games.... is that 6-8 weeks? or even more?

13. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3541558.html

Update on Yao

The six to eight weeks Yao Ming is expected to be off the court after Monday's toe surgery refers to the time it will take to begin training — rather than playing — for the Rockets, said the team's chief physician, Tom Clanton, who performed the surgery.

Clanton said he and the Rockets medical staff had been treating the infection since October, but that it had been isolated to the skin and tissue on the toe. He said that sometime during the Rockets' recent trip, the infection broke through the tissue and to the tip of the toe, with the severity of the condition unclear until he began the surgery.

Though the degree of infection is greater when it reaches the bone, Clanton said Yao had the least-severe level of such an infection.

14. xiayun78

xiayun78 Member

30 games will be 2 months, and with all-star break in the middle, it mean a March return.

15. jlwee

jlwee Member

So Marcus Camby get his wishes. He will be the starting center for the All-star game in Houston. Oh man, this SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

16. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

That is EXACTLY what I've posted above from information gathered from sina.com. :D

17. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

That sucks. It could mean that he'll be 100% in as much as 10 weeks, if it goes relatively well.

18. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Damn. I actually thought it meant that he can play, but not train, I guess that wouldn't make any sense.

19. terse

terse Member

What I don't understand is why Yao needed surgery in the first place. If he has a bacterial infection on his big toe, wouldn't a course of antibiotics be enough?

20. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

A course of antibiotics alone is not going to help much in Yao's case. They probably had to incise and drain that wound on his toe first, then follow up with a few weeks of IV and/or oral antibiotics.