1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Lopez at the Chronicle says this in his blog today:

I believe a blockbuster deal is on the way and it might include more than one team and involve the Astros having to expand their budget in order to make it work Brad Lidge is on the trading block, is my hunch. He has been and will be offered, because he is the best commodity -- and would bring the most in return. The Astros also feel strongly about Chad Qualls and Dan Wheeler perhaps sharing time as the 2006 closer, relieving each of some closer pressure, until one distinguishes himself.

Mark it down.

They're dangling Lidge and another player (not Jason Lane) and dealing for an outfielder. The magnitude of this deal could shock you and make you feel a bit better about losing an icon ...

Sounds like Manny to me.

2. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Mench's stats make him look like Jason Lane - solid ML outfielder, but nothing special. And arbitration eligible? I'd rather run Burke or Lamb out there.

3. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Manny and Washburn would work. Yeah, that would work just fine.

But who knows at this point. We've been hearing all along about a "blockbuster deal," but, like RM95 said in another thread, it takes two to tango.

I could see us ending up with Mench due to crappy trading partners (like when the Reds lost their minds at the AS break with their demands) and not due to any fault of our own.

That lineup ain't bad, but what about that Bagwell guy? ;)

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm setting myself up for the possibility that we may never see him play again. I don't want that. Nothing would make me happier than to see one more season of Bags where he could give us around 25 HRs and 80-90 RBI. I just want anything we get out of him to be gravy.

5. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

6. msn

msn Member

This I agree with completely. However, waiting for Beltran until other options were gone is a mistake that has been admitted to by all of Astros management and one you saw them avoid--at painful costs--this year. That's all I was referring to.

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Mench is a guy on the verge of breaking out IMO. I think right now he looks like another Jason Lane...but i think he oculd be better.

The part of the article about how everyone is available AND HAS BEEN ASKED ABOUT other than Roy O is very interesting. If that is indeed true, I owuld expect us to make a move very soon...and I have a weired feeling that we are all going to be very happy.

It sucks right now watching all these decent players pack their bags...and I know Purp hasnt done much to warrant our confidence.....but I think something is cooking. (God I hope so!!!!)

8. nycrocket

nycrocket Contributing Member

Icon=Bagwell

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think he's already calling Lidge an icon, which would be a stretch.

10. NJRocket

i think he is referring to us losing Clemens

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Der. :)

12. nycrocket

nycrocket Contributing Member

That would be the obvious, but I think he's implying Bags. Somewhat offsetting salaries this year. Going forward, Manny's salary takes the place of Rocket's so the RedSox wont have to send as much cash.

13. NJRocket

no....he IS referring to Roger....i promise u

14. wrath_of_khan

Really? That would be cool. I don't know anything about the guy other than looking at his stats on ESPN.com. If the numbers are only a hint of greater things to come, then I'd feel better about trading for him.
    Yeah, I thought that was interesting, too. Just shows that, even though we haven't seen any tangible results, Purp's been on the phones -- if for no other reason than to take other GMs' calls.

It also goes to show you that, no matter how much certain "fans" here rag on the team and our prospects for next year (given the current lineup), other GMs out there think we've got some pretty good talent. We did win the freaking pennant, after all! :)

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Think the Astros would have interest in Millwood? My understanding is that Cleveland is backing off him...won't try to sign him. He's asking for about $11 million/year for 4-5 years. Had an ERA below 3 last season.

16. NJRocket

he's a Boras guy....i think we would steer clear

17. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I think Millwood is a little too pricey regardless. We've shown interest in Jarrod Washburn whose a Boras client as well.

18. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

lopez's article makes you think nothing but manny but isnt he a 10 and 5 guy so he has to agree to a deal.. he may like houston tho it might remind him of being with the indians where the media leaves you alone

19. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

Who else could it be? And why is there no mention of this ANYWHERE else? It seems the national media turns a deaf ear to all rumors concerning the Astros unless they involve Clemens.

20. wrath_of_khan

Man, I sure hope Lopez is onto a possible ManRam trade, but nobody else is reporting that we were anywhere near being in on that deal.

I checked out some of the local Boston papers and this is what I found. (I'm only posting relevant sections since the articles are so long, but all of the articles are good reads.)

By the way, it looks like the Sox are really in the market for a first baseman (note they were going to put Glaus at first), a shortstop, and pitching. We don't have a healthy first baseman to offer, we have a shortstop whose bat would be a liability in the AL, but we do have a ton of pitching. I'm just not sure we have what the Sox are looking for.

Now, a three team trade ...

Interest Dwindling In Ramirez, Wells

The Red Sox never came close to trading Manny Ramirez or David Wells at the winter meetings, a fairly good indication that it might not be easy to move either. So the team, which has spent a lot of energy and time attempting to lay the groundwork for deals, has exhausted its efforts, at least for the time being.

Whatever serious interest the Mets and Angels had in Ramirez seems to have dwindled in recent days.

"There hasn't been anything done in the last couple days other than some talks with his agent," said Red Sox adviser Bill Lajoie, serving as the de facto general manager at the meetings. "There hasn't been any other clubs [interested]. I'm not even supposed to say that."

A three-team trade with the Angels and Diamondbacks that would have sent Arizona third baseman Troy Glaus to the Red Sox never materialized. Glaus even agreed to play first, his agent said.

The Red Sox realized the only way they can move him is to pick up some of [Manny's] salary, in essence pay somebody to take him.

"You're going to pay them to let him play and beat you," Lajoie said. "That doesn't make much sense, does it?" ...

Asked whether the odds are better that Ramirez will remain with the team, Lajoie said, "I wouldn't say they are or aren't. If somebody got shut out there making a deal, or fulfilling a need, maybe they'll make a run back at it."

Ramirez deal still up in the air

Manny Ramírez's agent, Greg Genske, continued to claim yesterday that there are ''five to six potential fits" out there for the slugging left fielder, but a source with direct knowledge of the Red Sox' efforts to unload Ramírez said it's ''looking likelier" that he returns to Boston. ...

Lajoie, following a press conference yesterday to announce the Edgar Renteria deal, said he holds out hope that David Wells and Ramírez, both of whom have asked to be moved, change their minds.

''I like these guys," Lajoie said. ''I'd like them on our team. The closer we get to spring training, the more players we get, and it looks like we can win a lot of games, maybe they change their minds." ...

Those two issues, and two other lingering issues -- re-signing Johnny Damon and acquiring a first baseman -- remain unresolved, though Lajoie believes all four situations could be addressed ''in the area of two to three weeks."

Tejada asks out; are stars aligning?

The Sox came to Dallas with the mandate to show Ramírez and his agent, Greg Genske, they made a good faith effort to trade him. The Mets, who were expected to make a play for Ramírez, pulled out early after adding slugger Carlos Delgado, catcher Paul Lo Duca, and closer Billy Wagner. The Sox tried to make a match with the Angels, but their asking price was too high. The Sox first asked for Ervin Santana, the Angels' best young starting pitcher, and Casey Kotchman, a lefthanded-hitting first base prospect who made an impressive big league debut last season.

The Angels said no thanks.

The Sox then asked for either swingman Kelvim Escobar or elite setup man Scot Shields, and two of three prospects out of shortstop Brandon Wood, second baseman Howie Kendrick, and middle infielder Erick Aybar, plus one more minor leaguer. Again, the answer was no. The Sox also considered asking for Orlando Cabrera back, but evidently did not put that on the table.

The other known potential match for Manny was the Texas Rangers, with the Sox talking about a trade that would have netted them Alfonso Soriano and third baseman Hank Blalock. But that evaporated when the Rangers dealt Soriano to the Washington Nationals in the Brad Wilkerson trade.

Plan D, if there is one, had yet to surface, at least until Tejada spoke out. Genske insisted yesterday there are still ''five to six potential fits" for Ramírez.

What then, is the alternative? To let Ramírez come into camp next spring, kicking and screaming as he is wont to do on occasion, then watch him settle down and give you another year of .300, 40 HRs, and 140 RBIs. Bill Lajoie, the Sox de facto GM, made it clear he wouldn't mind if that's what happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.