1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Declaration of Independence signers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Jul 4, 2001.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Do you ever wonder what happened those that signed the Declaration of Independence? This is an email I received last year and I thought I would share it with this board.
    ========================================

Five signers of the Declaration of Independence were captured by the British and brutally tortured as traitors. Nine fought in the War for Independence and died from wounds or from hardships they suffered. Two lost their sons in the Continental Army. Another two had sons captured. At least a dozen of the fifty-six has their homes pillaged and burned.

What kind of men were they? Twenty five were lawyers of jurists. Eleven were merchants. Nine were farmers or large plantation owners. One was a teacher, one a musician, and one a printer. These were men of means and education who launched the Ship of State which you and I have inherited. Yet they signed the Declaration of Independence, knowing full well that the penalty could be death if they were captured.

When these courageous men signed, they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor to the cause of freedom and independence.

In the face of the advancing British Army, the Continental Congress fled from Philadelphia to Baltimore on December 12, 1776. It was an especially anxious time for John Hancock, the President, as his wife had just given birth to a baby girl. Due to the complications stemming from the trip to Baltimore, the child lived only a few months.

William Ellery's signing at the risk of his fortune proved only too realistic. In December, 1776, during three days of British occupation of Newport, Rhode Island, Ellery's house was burned and all his property was destroyed.

Richard Stockton, a New Jersey State Supreme Court Justice, had rushed back to his estate near Princeton after signing the Declaration only to find that his wife and children were living like refugees with friends. They had been betrayed by a Tory sympathizer who also revealed Stockton's own whereabouts. British troops pulled him from his bed one night, beat him and threw him in jail where he almost starved to death. When he was finally released, he went home to find his estate had been looted, his possessions burned, and his horses stolen. Judge Stockton had been so badly treated in prison that his health was ruined and he died before the war's end. His surviving family had to live the remainder of their lives off charity.

Carter Braxton was a wealthy planter and trader. One by one, his ships were captured by the British navy. He loaned a large sum of money to the American cause; it was never paid back. He was forced to sell his plantations and mortgage his other properties to pay his debts.

Thomas McKean was so hounded by the British that he had to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Continental Congress without pay, and kept his family in hiding.

Vandals or soldiers or both looted the properties of Clymer, Hall, Harrison, Hopkinson and Livingston. Seventeen lost everything they owned.

Thomas Heyward, Jr., Edward Rutledge and Arthur Middleton, all of South Carolina, were captured by the British during the Charleston Campaign in 1780. They were kept in dungeons at the St. Augustine Prison until exchanged a year
    later.

At the Battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr. noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the family home for his headquarters. Nelson urged General George Washington to open fire upon his own home. This was done, and the home was destroyed. Nelson later died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis also had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife for two months, and that and other hardships from the war so affected her health that she died only two years later.

"Honest John" Hart, a New Jersey farmer, was driven from his wife's bedside when she was near death. Their thirteen children fled for their lives. Hart's fields and his grist mill were laid waste. For over a year, he eluded capture by hiding in
    nearby forests. He never knew where his bed would be the next night and often slept in caves. When he finally returned home, he found that his wife had died , his children disappeared, and his farm and stock were completely destroyed. Hart himself dies in 1779 without ever seeing any of his family again.

Such were the stories and sacrifices typical of those who risked everything to sign the Declaration of Independence. These men were not wild-eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had
    security, but they valued their liberty even more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged:

"For the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of the Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor."

They gave us an independent America.

Please remember them this Fourth of July.

Freedom is not always FREE.

------------------
    visit: groovehouse.org

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Untrue (a.k.a another case of Internet-based BS) -- well, ok, maybe I should say some dramatic exaggerations were used, and not necessarily BS. lol. :

http://www.snopes2.com/glurge/declare.htm

------------------
    This space awaiting something witty to be said in a long, slow off-season...

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited July 04, 2001).]

3. Band Geek Mobster

Lisa: Jebediah Springfield was nothing more than a murderous pirate who hated this town!

Moe: Good God! Homer, I support any prejudice you can name, but this hero-phobia sickens me. All right, you and your daughter ain't welcome here no more. Barney, show them the exit.

Barney: There's an exit?!

------------------
    This post contains no smilies, you must judge my seriousness on your own...

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Even further proof that there is a Simpson's quote for every situation. [​IMG]

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

oh well... then let's remember those that fought and died in the Revolutionary War so that we (Americans) may all have this holiday!

rH

------------------
    visit: groovehouse.org