1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SINA] Yao, "communication is the problem"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by michellexiao, Nov 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. michellexiao

michellexiao Contributing Member

2. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

If Yao is not completely weaned from Colin Pine, why didn't Team Yao give Pine an extension for another couple of years?

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I doubt it's communication that causes the weak finger roll missed layups and terrible box outs.

4. daRox

daRox Member

Who says he's blaming missed layups with communication problems?

5. CometsWin

The title here says communication is the problem. This is basketball, not a G8 summit. How is a lack of communication causing him to be so timid on the court?

6. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Maybe it is time to ask guards to learn a few chinese phrases. Not only it takes the burden off Yao, but also it brings confusion to defense.

7. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

If he is fighting for positions, and thinking how to translated what he thinks into English in oder to communicate with teammates, it is a problem. Multitasking is hard, especially when you are bangging 500 lbs (2 defenders) constantly.

8. run-bdp

run-bdp Member

more excuses.

Who cares?

Yao is not stepping up. He wheezes at the end of games. He struggles to fight for position. There is no way Hakeem would have put up only 8 shots in a game with our second best player injured.

I like Yao, but all these Yao apologists turn my stomach. Don't make him more than he is.

9. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

You can't expect Yao to dominate when he gets ignored by the guards near the end of the game. However, Yao also has to make this ****ing layups and dunks when he's near the basket. And JVG needs to stop making Yao chase small guards all over the court. And when Yao forces a doubleteam and passes out, his teammate shouldn't miss the ****ing wide open shot.

Plenty of blame to go all around.

10. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

:rolleyes:
    If there is one thing I've learned in school is that one should never judge an article by it's title. Since you have obviously read the article, why don't you tell those who can't read chinese what the article says? I would do it but I can only translante spanish and french into english and vice versa.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Don't even think of calling me a "Yao apologist". But if you were paying any attention at all, you'd have seen that the Suns planted Diaw on his back and Marion in his lap before he had the ball. This was "Illegal Defense" all through Dreams' career.

On topic - I can't read Chinese but it would be an interesting theory that DaSagna Diop's command of English would give him an advantage in the paint. I don't care if you're in a league where duct tape is required over your mouth...you should be punishing the likes of Scot Pollard, David Harrison and Diop.

#11 GATER, Nov 25, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Exactly, I'm tired of hearing excuses. I will continue to watch, but I want to see action taken in the right direction.

13. CometsWin

This is basketball man. Yao isn't the first foreigner to play NBA basketball. What a crock. Yao can't get consistent positioning on the low block because he sucks at it not because he can't communicate with his teammates.

14. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

A simple arm waving or just yelling "throw the ball to me" will get the job done. There are so many ways to communicate when all you have to do is to play basketball. It is not like you have to make a speech. Of course, talking to his teammates in the locker room might be different. But I don't think it is the case when you play on the court unless you have to talk a lot of trash.

It does show the team lacks chemistry though. If chemistry is there, you don't have to talk a lot, even an eye contact will get it done.

15. michellexiao

michellexiao Contributing Member

name me a foreign basketball players who does not speak English well?

btw, you know it is A LOT easier for europeans to pick up English skills than Asians.

16. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Mutumbo

17. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Communication is not the problem, that is a excuess. Give me a break, there are foreign players that come into the league every year that don't speak english very well.

18. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Deke speaks with his elbows. He should teach Yao that language. :cool:

19. sgm

sgm Member

Yes ,tonight, I even heard Yao shouting "don't touch" in Chinese before a ball to go outside~~~~

20. tsl99

tsl99 Member

it's not exact communication problem u guys are thinking, the problem is most Rockets in the court don't know wot they are doing.