1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Questions about RAM

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davo, Jul 3, 2001.

Tags:
  1. davo

davo Contributing Member

I am just about to buy some RAM for my PC, but I'm not really sure what to do. I currently have 64Meg, and here is what my PC spec reads (from the vendor)

Pentium III Slot 1 CPU
    64MB SyncDRAM (up to 256 MB)
    2 X 168 DIMM slots

Type of memory supported:-
    3.3V unbuffered 168-pin DIMM PC100MHz SDRAM (64Bit).

Since it says "up to 256MB" I am assuming that the max allowable for each slot is 128MB, hence I intend to buy a single stick of 128MB to bring my system up to 192MB.

Here are my questions:-

Once I buy it, do I just power down the PC, plug the ram in and turn the PC back on? Is there anything i need to do to the BIOS?

What sort is acceptable to buy? I can get Crucial for about $27, Kingston Value RAM from Bestbuy for about $20. There is also PNY, Viking and Mushkin available for similar prices. Does it make much difference?

I know that my FSB is only 100MHz, but I heard that 133MHz memory will also work (at Crucial it is the same price for 100 and 133). DOes it matter if I get the 133MHz?

Some places quote CL2 or CL3 speed - is this important? Does it matter which one I buy?

Should I make any system changes to take advanatge of the increased memory?

------------------
    God help me, ...I was only nineteen.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

[This message has been edited by davo (edited July 03, 2001).]

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

First off, good decision on upgrading memory while prices continue to follow.

Just unplug the power, slap in the RAM, and power up. Your PC automatically detects the additional memory.

You'd be better off just buying PC100 (100MHz) because your other DIMM is also running at 100.

Crucial is dirt cheap and tends to work okay. Kingston is also an okay brand. Stay away from PNY.

CL2 stands for CAS Latency. You don't need to worry about that.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Yeah, get the 100 Mhz stuff -- there's no point in getting the 133 if you're only running at 100. I'd get Crucial if I were you. Installing RAM is the easiest thing in the world. Turn off the PC, find the memory slot, insert it, make sure it's in nice and tight and the clips are down.

You'll be looking for <a href="http://www.micro-components.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.exe?search=yes&detail=yes&product=A319&category=Memory%20Dimms&keywords=100&hits_seen=&page=search.html">something like this</a>.

------------------
    CC.net's most courteous driver

Oh yeah, and I'm looking for a job right now, so hire me please :)

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

When you have 2 memory slots and your computer manual says 256 MB max does that really mean you can only put 2 128 mb chips of ram in there, or was it just made before people envisioned 512 MB chips of ram for 90 bucks at Fry's?

Could I slap a 512 MB chip of ram in my PC and have it be fully recongized?

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Remember too: the computer fan sucks in a lot of dust over time; you'll see it all in there.

When you have the case off, make sure you take the whole thing outside and spray it down good with a water hose.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No, I'm pretty sure that "256 Max" means umm... 256 is the max. lol. Although that's got to be an older motherboard if it only takes that much memory. I've bought mobos 2 years ago that could hold 768 MB of RAM.

Are you sure they're not saying 256 MB DIMMs are the largest each slot will hold? Anyway, contact the maker of the PC or the mobo manufacturer. They'd be able to help you out.

------------------
    This space awaiting something witty to be said in a long, slow off-season...

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Pole,

That just ain't right. I actually did laugh out loud after reading that.

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'll admit, I had the little devil speaking in one ear and that Catholic guilt thing working the other side of me.

You see who won again.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Davo,

email me, your Videos Bounced back, need a correct address???

Smeg

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The price difference between PC-133 ram and PC-100 RAM is almost nothing in many stores and others even have PC-133 priced lower than PC-100. If you're not out for gung-ho performance increases of 2-7%, just use PC-100. PC-133 RAM is designed clock down to PC-100, but this isn't always guaranteed.

If you're looking to buy from Crucial, go through the following link and you can get a 15% discount (assuming your price above doesn't already include a similar discount).

www.crucial.com/webpromo,

then press the "GO!" button to shop. Your 15% discount will be applied in the prices you see.

Crucial memory is top-tier and near-top-tier memory. Kingston Value RAM is lower end memory (not the worst, but a step or 2 above). Given the choice between buying either for only a few dollars difference, I'd buy Crucial.

Regarding CL2 vs. CL3. CL3 is fine... most people that demand CL2 are overclocking their machines. CL2 can provide a bit more performance increase. If the price difference is only about $5 splurge... get CL2. lol. [​IMG]

You shouldn't have to adjust any settings in your BIOS that I know of to take advantage of the new memory. The only exception is the timing on the memory. There may be a setting for 8ns/10ns/Turbo mode or something similar. Don't change those at first. Just pop the RAM in and see if your machine operates fine before you fiddle with the BIOS. And yes, you pretty much just power down, plug the new RAM in, and reboot.

Make sure you ground yourself just in case so you don't blow the memory with static electricity. Just touch the power supply on the case before you start attacking the mobo.

Good luck in case this is your last post for a while. [​IMG]

------------------
    This space awaiting something witty to be said in a long, slow off-season...

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited July 03, 2001).]