1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When can a cat go in heat ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gr8-1, Jul 2, 2001.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

My female kitty is about 20 weeks old and she has been moaning and groaning. She's not quite as playful as a few weeks ago and she hides a bit more. My 16-week old male cat has been trying to mount her. He's too small for now though. Should I be worried ? I intend to have her spayed soon, but I didn't know it would be this soon.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It is normal to spay a cat at 12 to 14 weeks of age. You should definitely have it done prior to 6 months. What you are experiencing is NOT abnormal.

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

3. haven

haven Member

gr8-1: We spayed and neutered our last litter a bit late, and they're all fine. Jeff's the perfect cat owner, but there's still hope for people like you and me [​IMG].

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I should've said that you can wait as long as you like to do it. There isn't any real time constraint. It is just a matter of what is easiest.

Cats can begin to have kittens of their own as early as 10 months so, if you have a male cat that hasn't been fixed, your female cat will be vulnerable to pregnancy by then.

Also, don't be surprised if you have cats that are related that still attempt to mate. It is not uncommon for cats to in-breed within the same litter. Just like West Virginia. [​IMG]

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Hey, but she's only 20 weeks old, so that's why I am confused. He's only 16 weeks, so I don't know why he's trying to mount her. All thhe moaning, and rolling around by the female, does that mean she is in heat ? Or maybe her tummy hurts ?

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Just because she can't get pregnant yet doesn't mean she isn't in heat. All that moaning means she is in heat. Get her fixed and that will end.

Remember that cats can be independant at 8 weeks and are sexually active by as early as 15 weeks even if they cannot procreate.

------------------

7. Isabel

Isabel Member

gr8-1 might want to hurry up; otherwise in a few months he'll be advertising "free kittens" on this bbs. [​IMG] The rule is that cats can reproduce earlier than you think. I know lots of people who found this out the hard way. Also, the rolling around is typical of cats in heat.

------------------
    Isabel,clutchcity.net lurker since 1996

We are the girls from Norfolk.
    We don't smoke. We don't drink.
    Norfolk! Norfolk!

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had my male cats neutered @ about 8mo. and they were still trying to mount my female cats (including their mother [yuck!]) up until I had the girls spayed.

Once they were spayed, my cats didn't become more playfull, persay, but perhaps more able to pay attention to things. They were able to relax.

Also, note that your cats will most likely put on weight. We called our mamma cat "Kitty Carpenter" after anorexic musician "Karen Carpenter". Once they were spayed she went from about 6 lbs to 8 lbs.

There is a great place called S.N.A.P. (Spay and Neuter Assistance Program) on Shephard near I-10 that will spay your cats for like $10-20. They are an offshoot of A&M, and therefore also do good work (if you are concerned about giving your babies to a 'discount' clinic). The only problem is that you have to book an appointment about 1 month in advance. I'd highly recomend it, though.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ottomaton (edited July 02, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ottomaton (edited July 02, 2001).]