1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stern should get this picture!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketjf, Nov 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

We are silent and deadly ... perhaps I've already said too much....

[​IMG]

#41 vwiggin, Nov 6, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Actually, I saw exactly what codell did. Mason's arm and fist did move towards Yao's head. But watching it on my TIVO last night after coming home from the game I saw that it was a reaction to Howard that missed. Either way, it was a punch thrown... but at Howard and not Yao.

3. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

How can anyone be "ok" with how he reacted? I understand that he got showed up after trying to show up Yao, and his feelings may have boiled over, but that's no excuse not to control yourself.

Yao could have easily sprained a wrist or hurt his back, then we'd be without both our stars. Who would be ok with that? :mad:

#43 TECH, Nov 6, 2005
  4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Mason did not throw a punch at Yao's head!

I watched it at least 5 times last night on the DVR and if you actually pay attention to everything that's going on at the moment, and not just look at it like "watch his arm move toward Yao's head", then it's clear he didn't throw a punch.

What happened is that Juwan Howard was holding Mason's right arm and Mason ripped his arm free. The motion just HAPPENED to be in the direction of Yao's head because it was in front of and a little to the left of Mason.

HELL, MASON WASN'T EVEN LOOKING IN YAO'S DIRECTION!

Watch again and consider what I just explained. You'll see it.

By the way, I am a Yao supporter and think Mason WAS being a punk but that doesn't mean I'm going to blame him for throwing a punch that he didn't really throw.

5. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

wow, you need to slow down there.
    Mason shouldn't go unpunishied for what he did. but that's not a career ending offence. much worse has happened in NBA history.

6. rocketjf

rocketjf Member

I said you guys need watch Bob's video which gave you better idea on what happened, Howard was behind Mason, he didn't even know Howard was there when he punched Yao, and he was looking right down to Yao's head when he threw the punch.

http://www.lxsm.com.cn/yangpengyi/yao.rm

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Looking at the replay again I'm not so sure that Mason took a swipe at Yao. It kind of looks like maybe Juwan had his arm and Mason tried pulling it away and then it went at Yao. It's hard to tell from the angles that they had. Either way his wallet will be lighter come monday, and he might have to sit a game or two depending on whether the league thinks that was an intentional hit or not.

8. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Yep. I see it now. You could also argue that if Howard had not grabbed his arm, he'd have hit Yao anyway.
    There is no way to know for sure.
    Mason should be punished for tossing Yao like he did. :mad:

9. ClutchCityReturns

Exactly.

Think about when someone tries to restrain your arm and the natural motion you make to try and rip it free. That's what it was...not a punch. Notice that by the time his arm is forward he's looking much more in Juwan's direction. Probably thinking "wtf you grabbin' my arm for biiitch?!".

Seriously, tell me when you've ever seen someone throw a punch while not looking at their target from start to finish. Just think about it.

10. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Alright, everybody calm down. Bottomline is Mason got punked and the Juwan punked him even further by treating him like a little b*tch. End of story. Let's all move on and focus on the Magic game.

BTW, if Mason actually hit Yao, I'm sure you'd see Yao's mean streak. During the Athens olympics, some New Zealand forward got into Yao's face and Yao threw him down like a rag doll. Yao can take care of himself, and if he can't, then a few hard knocks will force him to.

But once again, Juwan is the man. A professional in every sense of the word. Plays like a pro, leads like a pro, sticks up for his guys like a pro.

Beat Orlando!!!! Go Rockets!!!

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

Looked to me like Howard came up and grabbed him/pushed him and their arms got caught or tangled, Mason pulled his arm away and that arm ended up accidentally smacking Yao. At that time, Mason's obviously was engaged with Howard, not Yao.

All of this occured during the usual pushing/shoving part of a scuffle. Besides the blatant up-ending of Yao, I don't see any malice intended on mason's part after the fact (didn't they shake hands after the cooling off period?). I would be shocked to see the league pass out any fines, besides for the offsetting technicals.

12. rocketjf

rocketjf Member

If he was not going down toward Yao's head, he should hit the referee in front of him if it's a natural move, not down to Yao's head. I don't understand your logic.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Already did. Three times now. Several others have acknowledged what I saw.

14. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Well, looks like you are right. But I thought defending Mason is his lawyer's job. :confused: But he did make the unnecessary flipping Yao off which could lead to serious injury.

Anyway, as long as Mason got at least one-game suspension, I am ready to let go and move on.

15. ClutchCityReturns

If someone grabs your right arm from behind, the natural reaction is to rip your arm across your body and down. So what do you not understand?

16. leonking

leonking Rookie

Sorry, I cannt see Mason's face from the video, how could you know that he is not LOOKING at Yao? Are you there?

This is a heavy punch anyway. Just notice Yao's head movement. Any NBA player should be punished for this no matter it's intended or not since the ref has stopped the game.

It's really disappointed that someone here is so "considerable" for Mason and just ignore the simple fact that "THIS GUY HIT OUR FALLING STAR FROM BEHIND"

17. rvpals

rvpals Member

It doesn't matter if Mason hit Yao in the head. He should be punished for flipping Yao over, we could have Yao injured and out for a long time. Then we can kiss playoff goodbye if both Tmac and Yao went down.

18. ClutchCityReturns

I am a Yao fan and supporter, and have no ties or lotalty toward Desmond Mason whatsoever. However, I strive to be objective in situations like this and I don't see the problem with it.

I mean, would you rather I see that Mason didn't throw a punch but just not post it? Better yet, would you rather I see that Mason didn't throw a punch but post that he DID?

I just don't understand the necessity of the whole lawyer comment...

LEONKING: It's rather clear to me (not so much on the video posted here, but on the TV last night) that Mason's head was turned toward Juwan Howard as the arm moved forward.

#58 ClutchCityReturns, Nov 6, 2005
  19. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I had floor seats 5 feet from the Rocket's bench last night and I'm not sure if this was shown on TV or not. But Mason came over or happened to be in the area of the Rocket's bench. He must have said something (I didn't hear) but Juwan stood up and Dikembe did too to restrain him. I heard Juwan say 'I swear, I'm about to...' Dikembe was real mad too but was holding Juwan back. And Mason was yelling at both of them AND JVG (or so it seems). There was a ref nearby too so nothing happened. Anyway, JVG turned around to Dikembe in a real annoyed way and said 'Sit down!'.
    That's when I started yelling to Mason that he sucked. After about 3 of those 'Hey Mason, you suck!' yells my wife pulled me back. :D

20. rocketjf

rocketjf Member

Judging from the video, he moved one more step toward and down to Yao and the natural move should hit the referee.