1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Hornets @ Rockets 11/5/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 3, 2005.

1. rocketjf

rocketjf Member

If JVG continue to let Wesley play 20+ minutes, Rockets' chance to win against any team will be slim.

2. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Wasn't able to watch the game. What happened?

3. PhiSlammaJamma

It seemed to me yao lost position when we went back to him setting picks at the three point line. I hate that so much. He got tired and took longer shots. Once in a while is ok, but every play. jeesh. But at least Yao lost the game. I can live with that every night out.

4. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

wow. I just got back from the game I nearly lost my voice there. After that punk tried fightin w/ Yao the TC was rockin but we still played SOOOOOO badly. Stromile looked so confused and didnt do much but im sure he'll get better. Rafer got pretty upset towards the end and JB acted like it was totally over with over a minute left so Van Gundy took him out. UGHHH i have a headache.

Positive Things of the Night: Yao played REALLY well until that fight. the Rockets store is filled w/ really cool stuff..jus so ya know. and RUDY T WAS THERE! he got a standin ovation and it was awesome. I wanted to hug him. Too bad he's still a Laker scout.

#284 BabyClutch, Nov 5, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  5. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

I was very frustrated after watching tonight's game, still..... can't help but chuckled at will's post after reading the last line. *l*

6. newmemo1

newmemo1 Member

don't mean to be picky with you..but I think "will their team to victory" is one of the most overstated quality of a leader..

a true leader will work with his team to develop the winning habit - like what Larry Brown said "playing the right way" wink-wink

JVG talked about the same thing, much like SA..you don't have to will your team to victory. If you play the "right" way, you should have a good lead; palying the right way, will maintain the lead. Let the other team's leader 'will' their team to victory and let's see how successful they are.

7. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

just got back from the game

****ing loss to the hornets................... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

I wish Rafer Alston would have been more assertive tonight. Since he's been here, I think he's been deferring way too much. The Rockets did not bring him here to simply spot up behind the 3-point line, like he did tonight. On a night when Mcgrady is out, Alston should be taking around 15 shot attempts and dishing out +7 assists.

I don't know if this is by design or Alston is just trying to fit in, but if the Rockets are going to have any kind of success, Alston is going to need to be that legitimate 3rd playmaker for this team. He has to look for his shot more and he has to look to create more. We need him to be what Bob Sura was for us last season. The Rockets need him to be aggressive and constantly attacking the defense, and thus far he hasn't been doing that enough.

9. sun12

sun12 Member

This team does not look good now. Sura and T-mac are both injuried, Wesley has no shooting touch, Stro is slow in learning.

10. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Yao made a clean block D. Mason on a drive and came down on Masons back. Mason threw Yao over his shoulder. Mason wanted to fight and Howard gave him a heathly shove. Then gave C. Anderson the same treatment when he got tried to get in it :D

11. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Will all this really matter when we're celebrating our third championship in June?

12. Nautic

Nautic Member

Could Rox beat this year's NO if yao were out and TMac in?

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No excuses, we got outplayed on both ends of the floor. Terrible.

14. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I dont know I was hoping for a monumental season.
    Something like Seattle or Phoenix had last year.
    When my gf told me Tracy was out, I knew there was no way they would cover the 13 point spread after last week, but I was hoping they they could pull it out.
    It seemed like JVG was trying to force Yao to be the man.
    Im surprised Head got as much time as he did.
    I was glad to see him.
    I dont know what we are going to do with T-Mac out.
    It seems like the new guys are still adjusting.
    November is supposed to be a tough month.
    I hope we dont find ourself in a hole soon.

I cant believ JVG let Swift make those bone headed fouls (3 in 3 minutes) in the 4th. Calm down son!

15. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

also glad to see YAO is getting better every year! when TMAC back, we are contender.

16. holyMark

holyMark Contributing Member

scared ?

R U out of your mind?

17. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Word! He's getting there, but he reminds me of what T-Mac did last year. Like I said in another post, maybe there needs to be a JVG/T-Mac/Skip meeting where Skip is given the keys to the offense and told to play natural instead of being so deferential. I know it's a delicate balance to strike, but he clearly needs to be more aggressive than he is now.

To everyone in general: This is only one game. Yao got tired and then we got outscored 18-2 to close the game because the Hornets had more energy. Our team is completely out of whack because our leader went down yesterday and there has been no time to adjust. Both JVG and the players have until Tuesday to adjust their schemes and mentality to the idea T-Mac will be gone for 3 weeks. If we plays as bad against Orlando, it will be timed to get a little more worried. I called this loss and almost got the score. See post #61 in this thread.

18. swu

swu Contributing Member

I don't know - we certainly did not last season.

19. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Our p&r needs major work. Half of the time when Yao comes out to set a screen, our guards moves too soon and opponent defender just slide through Yao from the top of the screen. What good does that do?

20. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I listened to about half of the first half on the radio (NOK announcers) then watched the second half and jeez was that surreal.

My overall impression was that this team was unnerved, but I'm pretty sure I saw what I think I saw:

1). Yao got yanked about 4 mins. in the 3rd quarter following a pretty good-looking weakside block and JVG yanked him and Yao actually came over to the bench in JVG's face and it looked like Yao screamed "What did I do?" and JVG pointed in two places without squarely looking Yao in the eye.

What the heck was that all about? I'm not surprised JVG was unhappy with something he saw, but Yao was really pissed. And that surprised the heck out of me.

2) After the fracas with Yao and Mason JVG verbally restrained Howard, which was wise, but I swear I thought Yao was glaring at JVG all the way back to the bench. When JHo swiped at Mason (to try to get him off Yao) the guy hit Yao in the head with his left hand. I bet he'll get fined for it, but Yao again looked really pissed off. I'm not sure at who.

3) In between Alston gets a bad call and grabs a ref's head and kisses his dome.

4) Yao misses 8 consecutive shots and we lose. Most of those misses were not good shots, but the one thing that was similar about all of them was Yao didn't dribble, never got the ball in great position and, oh yeah - he still looked pissed off.

5) Jon Barry looked like he was avoiding eye contact with everybody as if to say "I don't know these people".

The T-Mac news was no doubt upsetting to the team, but I think something else happened. Something I missed or perhaps something we'll never know about.

A bad loss is a bad loss. And though I've said this month is going to be rough I never expected to look at the team and see fractures in personalities, but tonight I'm pretty sure I saw it.

Oh well, we'll be fine. And at least this bbs will get a lot more interesting. I'm off to other threads to see what pooh gets flung where. :D