1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Hornets @ Rockets 11/5/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 3, 2005.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

MemphisX, go ahead an laugh while you can. I was never with the ones who said "start Stro". I think after this game that idea will be dead and gone for a while here. That said, Stro will find his niche on this team later on in the year and surprise you. It took JH a while and Stro will be no different. I don't blame you for gloating because I would do it too. Fortunately, it's only game 2 out of 82. We'll be just fine as long as T-Mac comes back healthy. First thing we must do is get our defensive assignments down and then establish an offensive identity. It'll happen after a while.

2. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Yao is making good steps, but he will not be a great player until he becomes a closer. All the great players have that ability. His lack of stamina down the stretch wiped out what he did early in the game. He was so tired, he was having mental breakdown and missed assigments. I think in the end it will be good for him, because he'll get used to the pressure. He'll be depended upon to be the undisputed No 1 option for the first time in his NBA career. It will either make him or break him. He will get battle tested

3. newmemo1

newmemo1 Member

nobody talks about all the TOs?

4. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

We just blew a chance to go 3-0 home start for the year. a tru CONTENDER dosent lose to the teams of the Hornets ilk.

5. rvpals

rvpals Member

Yao gave it all tonight with TMac out, there's nothing I want to complain about, but geez, if just one of the other guys can have a normal shooting night, we're golden to win this game.

6. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Never down the stretch and I've pretty much watched 90% of his games

7. zong

zong Member

Too bad, this team still has many probelms. JVG will lose more hairs quickly.

8. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

The loss sucks and Yao played crappy in the 4th. But, I think it was good he put up 22 shot attempts (even though he only made 8). Hit or miss, he needs that mentality that he can shoot even when he's cold - only way he's ever going to become dominant.

9. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

I agree- this is probably the only positive thing to come out of T-Mac's injury.

10. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

That they are, but I'm not convinced that means "bad team" any more. I know this team went 18-64 last season, but they sure don't look like that right now. It's early, but if NO/OKC keeps playing like this, they'll be a contender.

Key word here being "if".

I'll be anxious to see how NO/OKC looks about 10-15 games from now. I wouldn't be shocked if they're 10-8, maybe even 12-6.

11. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Like I said earlier, i'd be surprised if we win a game without tmac. He is our closer and in games like this, you need a go to guy at the end of the game to rise above the rest and make plays. We did not have our closer tonight.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Can't get any assists if the guys are missing wide open jumpers...

DD

13. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Only, Yao, DA and Alston played with any kind of viger and zeal. PJ Brown is the kind of player we need. trade howard and Wesley for a banger.

14. newmemo1

newmemo1 Member

If they played a normal game, no closer needed...

15. lyrix

lyrix Member

i just don't understand why JVG didn't give Yao a much needed breather after he missed the first three in a row.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

thats not what i said.

yao is a damn good player. he is an allstar. he is the second best center in the league and very close to being the best. we need both of them to win.

my point is that we are compared to the lakers with kobe/shaq. both of those guys could take over games. yao can take over for 12 maybe 24 minutes.

yao is more like pippin to tmac being jordan. he will be an awesome sidekick to tmac on our way to to multiple championships.

i'm not saying we don't need yao, or that yao sucks, or that he wont get any better. only that he will not become a leader, #1 option, carry the team on his shoulders, kind of guy. he's had chances before, i'm not judging on this game alone. i just had very high hopes for yao and i'm starting to realize where he will fall, which is still pretty high, just not as high.

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Oh, the Hornets would make the playoffs in the east( unfortunatly for them, there in the west).... there a pretty good team. they'l make some noise in the future.

18. rocketjf

rocketjf Member

I think the fight really disrupted Yao's offense, he only made 1 or shots after that. It's fine he didn't fight back, but what the hell was he patting Mason for? That will only make his teammates feel bad, someone shold yell at him, don't be a sissy.

I am afraid other teams will use "beat Yao" strategy in the future when they are down because of Mason's success.

19. lalala902102001

Trying to pick up some positive things from a really bad game:

1. Head got in the game. And despite of obvious inexperience on the court, he was not afraid at all.
    2. Yao blocked 7 shots and was aggressive on the board.
    3. Stro played better than his first game (although he still needs to learn to play smarter).
    4. David Weasley's playing time will reduce further after this game (thank god)...which means more Luther Head.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe he is trying to send Yao a message to suck it up..

Yao was tired, but the team just lost it's cool.....

If this was later in the year, and the Rockets were familiar with each other, I would be concerned...but game 2?? Come on????

We lost our best player, and a lot of the other major players were new....no cohesive chemistry yet...and Yao missed a LOT of easy ones in the 4th.

No worries...it is only one game.

DD