1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cassell drops in 35 pts and 11 assts opening night on Seattle

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cmcortese, Nov 3, 2005.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

ah the joy of a contract year.

It's a fairly short list of candidates:
    John Lucas
    Sleepy Floyd
    Kenny Smith
    Sam Cassell
    Steve Francis

Plus, Sam's evolution into a floor general didn't start happening until several years after he was traded from Houston. With us, he was a precursor to Ben Gordon: lethal scoring off the bench, but a liability on D and not particularly adept at running the offense. Definitely our biggest X factor in the first championship.

And I think geeimsobored was referring to Sam's numbers as a Rocket (about 10 ppg, 4 apg, 2 TO, 22 mpg), and not what he did last night.

Evan

#21 emjohn, Nov 3, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  2. cmcortese

cmcortese Contributing Member

oh yeah, i remember that series with the jazz.
    i think thats the one with the moving screen in the final seconds
    the game that i swore off hte nba for a few years b/c of the horible calls...

i hated the refs more than the jazz (reference to earlier thread on jazzholes)
    its just that the jazz were so good at flopping it made me sick

3. cmcortese

cmcortese Contributing Member

well said and i agree

wow. good job with the stats.
    still not such bad numbers (older ones), but definitely not 35, 11, 1, 40,
    although proportionately not too far off...

Sam definitely had a great game last night that will help in his contract negotiations, but would like to see it help in the playoffs. Would love to see the clips down one of the big dogs in the East.

#23 cmcortese, Nov 3, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cassell is the best PG we ever had but not when he was here. He became a real point guard in New Jersey two years after he left us. And he wasn't a great asst/to (about 2/1) guy his three years with us, but I always loved him.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Comparing a Rocket Legend to another.
    Both moves are unstoppable.
    Dream shake is more difficult to execute. But the Cassell mid range pop and shoot is derived from another legend Calvin Murphy.

Did you watch the game? Cassell did the same thing twice in a row with defenders in his face.

you try it.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

7. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

either his mouth piece was custom made or his teeth are as big as a horse! sweet jesus!

8. lalala902102001

An alien in uniform.

9. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

an alien that can play.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The spaceship landed in LA, and the Clippers will benefit. They're going to surprise people this year with their talent level and ultimate record.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

We could have had Sam at trading deadline last year from Minnesota for Juwon Howard. Apparently we backed down after it became appaent that we could get Mike James instead.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

:( I remember hearing that. Too damn bad. Would have been a great swap, especially considering that we lost JHo for the season.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

We would have made it to the Finals with Cassell. We would have won the close games against Dallas.

Tmac and Yao take up too much of the defense and Dallas doesnt play D.
    Can you imagine how many OPEN 15 footers Sam would get if he were on the Rockets???!!!!!!

14. bigben69

bigben69 Member

He had a good game. Im happy I have him on my fantasy team. Anyone else think that at times he looked like a ball hog though???? I know he had 11 assists but he seemed to shoot a lot when he had open players.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

this the exactly the paradox of the anti-cassell fan. would you rather have him have 5 pts and 11 assists like Jason Kidd? Dont blame the guy having a sweet jumper. Michael Jordan was a ball hog too!

16. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Dont get me wrong I love Cassell. He put in some great years for us. If you have an open shot then take it but he took some ill advised shots that happened to go in. They wont go in like that every night but it worked lastnight. His numbers were awesome but just seeing if anyone else noticed this in the game?

17. tinman

Supporting Member

did you see the same game I did?
    he took excellent shots. he shot when he was open and only 'ball hogged' in the last 15 minutes cause they needed to win. he hit wide open 3s and he hit his midrange jumpers.
    Sam Cassell takes the BEST shots in the league, he's the anti steve.

18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Sam is out of this world!! Oh wait..

19. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Clippers just may be the only non-Houston team I'm rooting for this season. I hope the Cassell-Mobley backcourt is successful this year.

Bucks look like a fun team, and some reason I'm hoping NJ does well too.

20. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I have to admit I only saw the 2nd half. That is probably why I thought he was hogging the ball. I just have one play stuck in my head where he had 2 guys in front of him and mobley was open on the 3 and Brand was open under the basket and he shot it up and it missed. One of the few misses of the night but that is the play stuck in my head. I dunno if he takes the best shots in the league but yes he is the anti steve.